What is the hardest thing for you when it comes to dating?

Page 11 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 11:26 am

MissChess wrote:
I'm sorry you view my desire for Aspie women to also be heard as some kind of threat. "Share what's difficult for you with dating," isn't the kind of conversation that should ever be turned into a zero-sum game.

I never said that. Talk about strawmanning :roll:

MissChess wrote:
In a thread like this, though, responding to a woman's comments with BS mansplaining about how she's got it all wrong and her own personal dating experience is just a big ol' misunderstanding and she should listen to the guys tell her how life really is? Guys do that a lot. I don't care for it.

We have our fair share of womansplaining about our own challenges, too, and especially about how wanting to do anything about them makes us misogynists and therefore undeserving of any success.

MissChess wrote:
I love and respect many men. My respect is earned, though, and it doesn't go to those who try to paint my words over with lies and their own opinions.

Good for you. I may be naïve, but not so much as to expect I could earn your respect at this point.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 2:31 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Keeping my relationship a secret from my mom, who to this day, refuses to allow me to pursue one.

I wonder how that's even physically possible.
The parent retains a lot of control if you still live with them. Assuming they are the type to use it.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 3:05 pm

Meeting people to date offline.

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 5:13 pm

Canary wrote:
Meeting people to date offline.

That what I have been doing. Meetup.com events, community events, running my business and volunteer group. Unfortunately, the problem is out of our control. Whether people turning up or not. Have RSVPed yes but did not turn up. This is funny skill from people who aren't being consistent.

For many years I tried to meet my friends offline since they are always online but still hang out offline. I feel more isolated when being online because of not being invited. So as being ambiverted person I have to make efforts. Lot of people I know in my networks are mostly either introverted and extroverted. Coming across to ambiverted girl would be so difficult.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 6:42 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
The parent retains a lot of control if you still live with them. Assuming they are the type to use it.

I have no doubt about that---I spent an awful lot of years at my parents' home as a pathetic adult unable to reach an agreement with them on how to become independent. What I wonder is how he can have a relationship at all if his mother doesn't want him to. I know it was totally impossible for me to do the same.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 3:50 am

SSJ4_PrestonGarvey wrote:
Chronos wrote:
It's irrelevent that very few men are rapists when you are their prey. There are very few great whites in the ocean but if you are a seal or sea lion, whichvis their preferred food source, you have a lot more worrying to do than a codfish.

When I am making a decision whether or not to get in the car with a strange man, if only 1 in 1000 men were rapists, it's irrelevant because..

I suggest Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA for self defense. I have to imagine it is statistically very unlikely that out of those 1 in 1000 men who are rapists that many would also have martial arts training. Especially since at least with BJJ there's pretty strict rules for conduct so anyone who's evil and/or psycho isn't going to last long since they'll get kicked out and never allowed back.

I started because fear of physical harm was a huge contributor to social anxiety for me. Couldn't go to the mall or other similar busy places without big anxiety and sometimes panic. I always thought people were glaring/being menacing towards me. I don't suggest ever getting in car with a stranger but if you or anyone else feels constant anxiety I can say as someone who also feels this anxiety that martial arts help a lot. And though of course you always want to de-escalate conflict and avoid fights whenever possible it gives you a chance if you do get attacked and cannot avoid the situation.

If it's a really big source of anxiety it's worth it to start training a couple days a week. As a guy with ASD I view it as inevitable that I'm going to be targeted by people since most people see autism as having a general mental deficiency and therefore an easy target. Plus, since I'm going to go into Computer Science and therefore will end up probably going to somewhere like San Francisco or LA for the jobs it was a no brainer for me. I could potentially earn a good salary there but with the drawback of having to live in huge and unsafe cities.

Chronos wrote:
2. Most men are significantly stronger than most women.

Doesn't necessarily matter if the woman has technique that can overcome a deficit in strength. Unless they are also trained and at a similar level they will be susceptible to them. Granted it is not that simple if the attacker is also versed in the techniques, this happens to be why I aspire to try competing and diversify my training. In case the attacker is also a martial artist who may know of ways to neutralize techniques.

Chronos wrote:
When you hear about a woman fighting off a male attacker, no, she didn't.
False. Look up any women who are accomplished in martial arts.

Chronos wrote:
1. Most rapists are heterosexual males who actively prey on females. He is more likely than an the average man to approach women and more likely than the average man to try to get me to or in a secluded place.
You would be surprised, although most are male there are rapist/killers who actively prey on both males and females. I don't recall specific example but around the time when I decided to start training I recall on the news a report about some Ted Bundy-type killer but who targets both men and women indiscriminately.

I'm trained in two types of martial arts and used to do weight lifting when I was more able bodied. I am very familiar with the strength differences between males and females and the limitations of martial arts in actual self defense, particularly when there are large differences in strength and speed between the individuals in question. People have overly optimistic and distorted views of the actual dynamics of real life violent encounters thanks to movies. I think us women are going to continue making our own calls on our personal safety.

It's irrelevant to this conversation that there are rapists/killers who prey on both men and women, as the subject at hand is a woman's determination of whether or not a man is safe.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 4:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn’t harm a fly.

And I support Aspie women fulsomely.

We flew on the same flight back home. And we got along.

I understand caution is necessary. I understand reality pretty well. This is not my first rodeo.

I hope nobody thinks that I DON’T support Aspie women.

I understand you do. You can say "I wouldn't hurt a fly" but have the theory of mind to know that another person (in this case, a woman) does not have the ability to determine that from their vantage point.

A lot of people think "I'm nice, and I know I would never hurt anyone, therefor, others should know that too," and then they become upset and take it personally when those who don't know them don't trust them.

If you compare it to the "Sally Ann" experiment, it's almost an identical parallel. Only in the "Sally Ann" experiment, the faulty reasoning is "I know the item was moved from the red box to the blue box, therefore everyone else should too."

I think this is interesting, because most NTs over the age of 5 can pass the Sally Ann test, and I believe most of us here who are on the spectrum can as well...at least as adults. However many people who can pass the Sally Ann test, NT or otherwise, can't seem to generalize their theory of mind such that it extends to knowing that just because they know themselves to be nice or trustworthy, doesn't mean those who don't know them can know this.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 4:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wouldn’t harm a fly.

What if it's a Tsetse fly?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 8:45 am

Then I might make an exception...

except that avoidance of them is much better than personally harming them.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2018, 9:11 am

I meet all my dates on dating sites as I could never approach someone I don't know in real life.

The hardest part for me is getting to the date. I get so nervous about social things that I start getting physical symptoms like nausea and I can even vomit when it's really bad but once i've made it out the door and about 30 minutes into the date it passes.

Another difficult thing is the pressure to keep a conversation going as I am incapable of smalltalk... So if I go out with a shy person it can be quiet for long periods of time which is pretty awkward even if they tend to say it's okay.

I don't mind dating as it's a good way to meet new people.

SSJ4_PrestonGarvey
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2018, 10:05 pm

Chronos wrote:
I'm trained in two types of martial arts and used to do weight lifting when I was more able bodied. I am very familiar with the strength differences between males and females and the limitations of martial arts in actual self defense, particularly when there are large differences in strength and speed between the individuals in question.

What styles if I may ask?

The techniques of my style are specifically intended to help enable one to be able to mitigate large differences in strength/speed through leverage/technique. One of the founders, Helio Gracie was a very small guy weighing between 110lbs-130lbs(later about 140lbs max when fighting professionally) so there would also be a pretty extreme difference in strength. Royce Gracie won some of the first UFCs and in doing so defeated guys like pro boxers, kung fu master, karate master, judo master, NCAA div 1 wrestler, and steroid users well over 200lbs.

It's proven to work although on the street few of the people whom might be are going to have this kind of level of training.

Chronos wrote:
People have overly optimistic and distorted views of the actual dynamics of real life violent encounters thanks to movies. I think us women are going to continue making our own calls on our personal safety.
I mean to make no statements about calls on personal safety. I am generally pretty paranoid, martial arts made me recognize more about the potential dangers due to the idea of hypothetical criminal who is also a trained martial artist. I encourage martial arts purely as a way to help mitigate some of the general anxiety, hopefully have a non zero percent chance of survival and also because this general anxiety has been a big barrier for me wanting to date since I feel hesitant to interact with strangers.

I have and will continue to make the very same safety call you women make about this. It's never worth it to get into a car with a stranger, there's no way to know if it's actually safe. They could have another guy lying out of sight in the back seat with a firearm ready, they could have a silencer so no one will hear if it fires. Plus often people will just ignore anyways as they won't get involved as that could bring danger onto them. I think when living in America it would probably be bordering on stupid to just ignore this danger.

When I move to a larger city especially if it is in a place like LA I will buy stuff like a personal gps tracker connected with multiple people I know and whom will know what I'm doing. Even then I intend to basically be like an otaku and just go to work, home and martial arts gym. No/minimal social life outside of that, I will save up and then move to smaller place more to my comfort(decent jobs outside of Silicon Valley would be more attainable with a history of experience).

Chronos wrote:
It's irrelevant to this conversation that there are rapists/killers who prey on both men and women, as the subject at hand is a woman's determination of whether or not a man is safe.
That's just my view on that matter. I assume always that any rapist/killer at all will potentially also target me as a man possibly out of purely sadistic tendencies if not for sexual reasons. My only point here is that I strongly feel this should be a valid point of concern for both men and women.

Chronos wrote:
A lot of people think "I'm nice, and I know I would never hurt anyone, therefor, others should know that too," and then they become upset and take it personally when those who don't know them don't trust them.

One of my Aspergers interests/obsessions is psychology and it helps me avoid this in knowing that the bad guys are going to be Dark Triad/Tetrad and that some of the features of such people include:
-Feels no guilt(ever) since in their minds other human being exist solely for their own selfish pleasure
-Really good at lying/manipulation
-Strongly motivated to harm others however possible, basically an instinct to kill or maim others

Chronos wrote:
If you compare it to the "Sally Ann" experiment, it's almost an identical parallel. Only in the "Sally Ann" experiment, the faulty reasoning is "I know the item was moved from the red box to the blue box, therefore everyone else should too."

Very interesting thanks! You've given me a topic to check out!

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2018, 12:58 am

MeganMaxwell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2018, 9:01 am

b9 wrote:
well really there are heaps of things.

2. i don't know how to make love.
i feel sometimes like it is a dirty perverse thing to do.
just to lay on a girl and hump them is a very basal thing that i find disgusting.

so you got to to the dance. the foreplay dance. i don't dance. i do not have the connection necessary to predict what they will do next.

so you have to be adventurous and have intercourse from many angles and stuff, and it's all too much of a hassle for me to work out.

then, when you get to intercourse, i have a major problem with rhythm. i like slow and they like fast.
no good.
our pelvises do not move in unison, and it really degrades the experience.

i have never been longing for intimacy anyway.

Sorry old thread but exactly how I used to feel, sex wasn’t mentally stimulating enough for me I couldn’t feel any connection was bored out of my mind. Dex helped me a lot. Also helps if u are feeling paranoid at work that ppl are talking about you most likely they were talking about some jerk called Andrew who has a problem with women ... doesn’t stop the thoughts but makes u not ruminate.

Just saying that things can change.

However I have always longed for intimacy but it’s more like someone to be inquisitive with. It’s probably not how others think of intimacy.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:28 am

I find it difficult not to become too attached. I don't meet people I get along with very often. And when I get signals that someone I'm interested in is interested in me too its difficult not to want to be with that person and spend time with them. But they never want to exclusively be with me and it never goes very far. They just slip away and then don't want anymore contact with me.

It's never outright rejection. But it still hurts. I don't understand it. Do I look attractive, but have a very annoying personality? I like them, I really do, but then they never like me as much and I have to let go.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:26 pm

The hardest thing for me?

Finding someone to date.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 4:34 pm

I've never been in a romantic or sexual relationship, despite a small amount of trying. So I guess my trouble is "getting a date".