Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 7:55 am

jon85 wrote:
How can we ever know without the ability to ask them directly?

How can we ever whether or not lawn mowers and toasters can feel without the ability to ask them directly? Plants have no nervous system. If a nervous system is not really necessary for feeling (as people who believe plants can feel will argue), what's stopping lawn mowers and toasters from being able to feel? Plants cannot feel. If they could feel pain, it would be torture because they cannot move to get away from it.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2018, 8:51 am

NewTime wrote:
jon85 wrote:
How can we ever know without the ability to ask them directly?

How can we ever whether or not lawn mowers and toasters can feel without the ability to ask them directly? Plants have no nervous system. If a nervous system is not really necessary for feeling (as people who believe plants can feel will argue), what's stopping lawn mowers and toasters from being able to feel? Plants cannot feel. If they could feel pain, it would be torture because they cannot move to get away from it.

see above video ;)

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

According to a bunch of stuff I read in a book called "The Secret Life of Plants," yes, they do, and some researchers have connected sensors to them in order to measure plants' response to things and prove it. Some are skeptical of mataphysical pseudo science like this and call it all complete BS, but, myself? I'm inclined to believe it. Plants are living things, not mechanical objects. They do communicate with each other (via chemical scents, root networks etc) and even share resources (water/nutrients) between multiple species in an ecosystem.. soo, it's not difficult to imagine that they do in fact also feel.

Besides, anyone who's ever tripped balls on magic mushrooms and taken a walk through a forest and felt a connection to nature realizes plants are FAR more animal like than most people could ever fathom. So, the fact that they can feel makes complete sense to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 12:50 am

NewTime wrote:
I'd heard some people say that plants are capable of feeling. I'd say that plants have about as much a chance of being able to feel as streetlights or lawn mowers have.

Well they are biological life forms so they probably would feel more than those things. Not sure to what degree or how comparable it is to how people perceive things but I am sure they feel something. One example that is quite sad to me is, I was trying to save this plant a lot of leaves were dying off so I trimmed them and was taking care of this plant and it seemed like it was starting to recover. But then my mom thought it was just a dead plant and put it out in the garage when it was very cold out to throw it out.

Well I was pretty upset when I found it out there, I had been so close to reviving it...but that night in the cold was the end for it, I could see the leaves that had started to form had recoiled back from the cold trying to save a little energy but it wasn't enough...by the time I found the plant out there it was too late. But yeah the way the leaves were curled like the plant was literally recoiling from the cold made me sad because I was sure it had to have experienced a lot of discomfort. Lol my mom did not hear the end of it that day...

But of course I don't get it I mean I eat meat, and unfortunately I am aware some of the animals probably had an unpleasant end...but I can't afford to go totally free range meat or vegatarian so IDK. I suppose it was more personal that it was a plant I had been trying to take care of.