Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm

Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz was, lack basic Holocaust facts

Two-in-three Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 years old cannot say what Auschwitz was, according to a study released Thursday, known internationally as Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Sixty-six percent of millennials and 41 percent of all U.S. adults could not explain the significance of Auschwitz, which was a Poland-based concentration and extermination camp where the Nazis held 1.3 million people and killed 1.1 million during World War II.

Among Millennials, 41 percent believe fewer than 2 million Jewish people were killed during the Holocaust – one-third of the actual number, according to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany’s Holocaust Knowledge and Awareness Study.

https://libertyunyielding.com/2018/04/1 ... ust-facts/

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 8:10 pm

That's strange. I've known a lot about the holocaust for a long time because I see it brought up fairly often.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 9:07 pm

^ I think everyone here would agree that you're above average.

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 10:38 pm

That's the proud tradition of American anti-intellectualism for you.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 2:47 pm

I think it's more interesting that on that day we are looking at going to war with Russia who lost millions and millions of people fighting the Nazis.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 3:17 pm

Darmok wrote:
Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz was, lack basic Holocaust facts

Two-in-three Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 years old cannot say what Auschwitz was, according to a study released Thursday, known internationally as Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Sixty-six percent of millennials and 41 percent of all U.S. adults could not explain the significance of Auschwitz, which was a Poland-based concentration and extermination camp where the Nazis held 1.3 million people and killed 1.1 million during World War II.

Among Millennials, 41 percent believe fewer than 2 million Jewish people were killed during the Holocaust – one-third of the actual number, according to the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany’s Holocaust Knowledge and Awareness Study.

https://libertyunyielding.com/2018/04/1 ... ust-facts/

I first knew of the Holocaust in 6th grade when my mom told me when I was watching Shining Through. I just didn't know it had a name for it. I only knew they killed Jewish people and disabled and mentally ill people and they would have killed me too. I didn't know about concentration camps until high school when my school decided to teach that subject. It was very graphic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 3:59 pm

I don't think that we should be too harsh or too alarmed over this. This is just what happens when you ask historical questions to people who specialize in something besides history. Most of these people who were studied probably never even claimed to be history experts. It's not like they were being pretentious or anything. Nobody has to know everything.

The normies don't have to know everything about the Holocaust. They just need to know the key details. The normies just need to know that the Nazis they took the concept of "national pride" to an absurd level and then killed a bunch of people who were "not really German" in their eyes.

I don't know everything and I don't have to know everything because I have my own area of expertise. I don't know much about how computers work, but I can still use one. I don't know much about cars, but I still look both ways before crossing the street. I am confident that someone else could help me if my computer was ever broken. That's how society works. We all have our own talents and we rely upon one another.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 4:08 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
I think it's more interesting that on that day we are looking at going to war with Russia who lost millions and millions of people fighting the Nazis.

I think we're a long way from war with Russia.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 3:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Yeah?...

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 3:51 am

I certainly know a lot of the details aside from learning some about it in school...It actually became kind of a special interest I read a lot of stuff on WW2 and The Holocaust like factual books, watching documentaries and I also read quite a few factual accounts of people who had lived during the time. That is how I learned the French Resistance played a pretty big role in defeating the nazis but that was certainly kind of underplayed in history classes...but that 6 million jews were killed was practically drilled into my head at school. Of course 11 million people were killed in total as they targeted political opponents, disabled people, pretty much anyone who disagreed with nazism, ect as well as the jews.

I mean are they literally not teaching this in school or something?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Yeah?...

Yeah.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 8:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I certainly know a lot of the details aside from learning some about it in school...It actually became kind of a special interest I read a lot of stuff on WW2 and The Holocaust like factual books, watching documentaries and I also read quite a few factual accounts of people who had lived during the time. That is how I learned the French Resistance played a pretty big role in defeating the nazis but that was certainly kind of underplayed in history classes...but that 6 million jews were killed was practically drilled into my head at school. Of course 11 million people were killed in total as they targeted political opponents, disabled people, pretty much anyone who disagreed with nazism, ect as well as the jews.

I mean are they literally not teaching this in school or something?

It's also true that there were far more French collaborators than resistance. In fact, the SS didn't have to bring much personel with them, as there were more than enough pro-fascist Frenchmen and women willing to help them. Countries like Norway and Denmark had far bigger Anti-Anazi resistance fighters who saved more Jews and others, and far fewer collaborators than did the French, but you hardly hear anything about them.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 7:15 am

"And others" :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 10:14 am

JohnPowell wrote:
"And others" :wink:

True.