How many spacial dimensions does our universe have?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 8:35 pm

Tanker wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Tanker wrote:
as far as i know, there are many different answers to that. 11, less, or infinity.
i like 11. reason being that i read somewhere that some scientists discovered an 11-dimensional mathematical structure in brains.

combine that with "receiver hypothesis" and you got yourself a nice recipe for speculation :D

That's not what you might think. With the connectivity between neurons in the brain, I'm not sure it should be surprising.

Don't forget that the Connection Machine, CM-1, had a 20 dimensional routing network. Like the brain, it physically exists in three dimensions of space and one of time.

yes, but sometimes wishywashy scifi BS makes for more interesting ideas and stories :P
That's an excellent point.

Science fiction would be a whole let less interesting if every space trip required a thousand generations to get there. There are only so many Rama novels that one could read.

grindfish
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jun 2018, 10:39 pm

Any one consider that our experience of time in a 3d material plane is a projection of a higher dimensional space? As if to say, time is an expression of space and space is an expression of time.

Take for instance what we know so far about quantum physics, that the unobserved atom is a cloud of potentiality, but once we measure it we get points that appear to flux in and out of existence. As if time, as we experience it, is observed measurement of potentiality, thus giving the same effect as a 3d sphere projecting into a 2d plane. To experience that phenomena from a 2d perspective, the sphere appears as a circle violently erupting out of nothing, quickly expanding then collapsing back into nothing. The 2d observer would be shocked at this quantum like weirdness. So, the 3d shape is much like the potentiality cloud described in quantum mechanics, its there, encompassing a space we cannot perceive, and once we observe we can only experience that which collapses into our perceivable time and space. That 3d sphere moving through that 2d plane shows that time is a projected experience of a higher dimension shape.

Perhaps time is an illusion afforded by our limit of dimensional observation of a higher shape. Thus negating the concepts of a linear progression of experience with a past, present and future, as this has all already happened and transpired in infinite configurations that could be expressed as a higher dimensional fractal geometry.

Its a concept that gives credence to something as mind bending as retrocausality: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-physicist ... uture.html

And helps explain the discovery of time crystals... http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/discov ... -continuum

This stuff fuels my existence like nothing else, hyperdimensional spacetime/timespace is my jam.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2018, 1:24 pm

The Majority of scientists think there are 4 dimensions with the 4th being spacetime. Then you have the string theory crowd that actually get 11 dimensions . Course none of them can agree on this but there are valid arguments if you take the time to read about it. Its all very deep once you go down the rabbit hole you can find yourself getting lost in the quantum world but as I said most people stick to the 4 dimension for now. Personally I like the sound of 11 dimensions and all the mysteries that go with it.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

upfromashes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2018, 2:58 pm

andyfzr wrote:
The Majority of scientists think there are 4 dimensions with the 4th being spacetime. Then you have the string theory crowd that actually get 11 dimensions . Course none of them can agree on this but there are valid arguments if you take the time to read about it. Its all very deep once you go down the rabbit hole you can find yourself getting lost in the quantum world but as I said most people stick to the 4 dimension for now. Personally I like the sound of 11 dimensions and all the mysteries that go with it.

I like the 11 dimensions, but don’t understand why not more? And is that a construct of our perception of reality?
Fyi sent you a PM reply. Make be stuck in a the ether of another dimension. It is not showing as sent on my end.

YanisAdel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2018, 7:10 pm

Greetings.
Overall, the need to add new dimensions came from the fact that 4 dimensions are not enough to encompass all the equations of the 4 great forces in order to obtain a theory of everything. It was discovered that the equations aforementioned fit better everytime we added a new dimension until we arrived at 11.

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2018, 2:52 am

kokopelli wrote:
Tanker wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Tanker wrote:
as far as i know, there are many different answers to that. 11, less, or infinity.
i like 11. reason being that i read somewhere that some scientists discovered an 11-dimensional mathematical structure in brains.

combine that with "receiver hypothesis" and you got yourself a nice recipe for speculation :D

That's not what you might think. With the connectivity between neurons in the brain, I'm not sure it should be surprising.

Don't forget that the Connection Machine, CM-1, had a 20 dimensional routing network. Like the brain, it physically exists in three dimensions of space and one of time.

yes, but sometimes wishywashy scifi BS makes for more interesting ideas and stories :P
That's an excellent point.

Science fiction would be a whole let less interesting if every space trip required a thousand generations to get there. There are only so many Rama novels that one could read.

yup :P