So did anyone else on facebook get this notification?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:20 am

Or anything simular anyways, Here it is:

Quote:
We understand the importance of keeping your data safe.

We have banned the app "This Is Your Digital Life," which one of your friends used Facebook to log into. We did this because the app may have misused some of your Facebook information by sharing it with a company called Cambridge Analytica. In most cases, the information was limited to public profile, Page likes, birthday, and current city.

You can learn more about what happened and how you can remove apps and websites anytime if you no longer want them to have access to your Facebook information.

There is more work to do, but we are committed to confronting abuse and to putting you in control of your privacy.

So what do you make of this? I mean I already knew before the news reports that facebook info was being shared outside of facebook hence why I put the most minimal info possible. But do you think they are really going to make a change to make it more secure...or do you think this is just B.S people want to hear that they are sending out?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 5:49 am

I got that message too, but I didn't react to it because I knew my account was safe. I would like to know what other posters here think.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 2:32 am

That is Mitch, trying to keep the Congress off his back.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 5:40 am

I got a similar security notice. That's just one app removed though, I'm afraid there are others on Facebook doing similar things but I really don't know for sure.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 10:37 am

"An app downloaded by 270,000 people has been claimed to have led to the crisis. When users downloaded this app – called "thisisyourdigitallife" – information regarding the users' preferred Facebook content as well as their "home town" could then be accessed by the app. This was than used to acquire similar information of the user's contacts and continued to affect approximately 50 million people in total"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook#Public_Apologies

Joe90 wrote:
I got that message too, but I didn't react to it because I knew my account was safe. I would like to know what other posters here think.

What shocked me was to find that however careful I am with my own security settings etc., anybody else on social media who knows me can end up a security risk to me, just by doing something as innocent as adding my phone number to their phone. I guess that's why they're contacting not just users of "This Is Your Digital Life" but also their Facebook friends.

I've had a couple of nags from Facebook about acccepting their new security terms by 25 May, but so far they haven't forced me to. I'm hoping they don't do what they did on YouTube - i.e. refuse access till I agree to their privacy policy. There are other ways of accessing YouTube, and they're much faster and less glitchy, but I don't know how to do the same trick with Facebook.