Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
If I absolutely need help from a receptionist or wait staff, I will raise my voice slightly, make strong eye contact, and sit or stand up as tall as possible. Of course, since I am autistic, this sometimes backfires, but it also gets me the service I want at least some of the time.

How does it backfire? The kind of backfiring I’m familiar with is when my loud voice or my insecure, aggressive body language tells the other person I’m trying to claim a status I absolutely do not have and they, surely enough, put me in my place in a painful way, so it gets through my thick skull. It doesn’t sound like your case.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2018, 8:02 pm

Social interractions are slow.
It is better to go to a party with someone else that can introduce you to others. NT's have great fears about this can will not ever go out alone or to events where they do not know anyone for fear of being left out alone.
Of coarse there are exceptional people; famous, charismatic/pretty/story teller, comedians, extroverts who know they will be the life of the party and draw others to them, perhaps they also enjoy the challenge.

People are also very slow to get to know others.
First they will meet you find out your name, and that could be it for months.
It can work quicker if there is a reason for more interraction (a common shared interest).
You will see this on forums, many have an introduction section, this is so regular users can see who you are what you are about and why you are there.
NT's have a fear of strangers. Once you have broken through that barrier, they will say "oh I know him." "he's alright", "she's into basketball"

Take things very slowly, become a familar face first. Let others get to know you gradually.
NT's are very fickle, but sometimes they are not, it just takes time before they will open up and reveal some non-fickle attributes/hobbies/abilities. They have a guard up, to protect against judgement, most of their "friends are only associates" and they have only a few true "friends" that know them properly.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 9:23 am

It happened to me much more frequently when I was younger than it does now. I was much more obsessive and emotional years ago, traits that didn't win me a lot of friends. Years later, people said they did like me, but I was too much into my own interests and with keeping my school grades up to notice. If I had it to do again, I would still strive for excellence, but would cultivate friendships much more and have a wider range of interests. I'm doing all of that now, but I worry that I have too much experience to make up. I wish I hadn't been so stupid and short-sighted.