Is sport and exercise actually a problem?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 3:48 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Go and call a fit, brawny bully dumb to his face if you have the balls—’nuff said.

:lol: Here’s another thing about very muscular men that most people get wrong.

People become fearful because of their imposing strength and size and think they might snap and attack them. Meanwhile, in almost all cases (roof rage aside) this is dead wrong. People seem to have no comprehension of how focused and disciplined one has to be with their diet and exercise routine in order to get that big and strong. How you do anything is how you do everything.. physically strong men are very much in control of their actions & reactions. It’s the fat angry slob who has no self control that might be worrisome to cross paths with in a dark alley.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 3:53 pm

EyeDash wrote:
I'm autistic, worked in scientific and high-tech jobs requiring intelligence, and most of my life I worked out five days a week with weights and aerobic exercise. I found it enormously helpful in reducing stress and producing mental clarity. At work, when I started getting mental fog from focusing too long on technical material, an hour working out and showering would re-center me and made the rest of the day a lot more productive. Most of the folks I knew that worked out in the gym at work weren't any more aggressive or critical than average. In fact my experience is that when I feel good physically it makes me feel better mentally and emotionally too and I'm less likely to get overwhelmed and irritable with people. Exercise and fitness helped me immeasurably more than the various psych meds I tried for awhile. I worked out most of my life and I see more team spirit in people who work out rather than bullying. I ran into a lot of bullies in school a long time ago, but most of those seemed to be kids who were getting some sort of abuse themselves, probably at home, and they would pass it along to convenient targets, like autistics and kids with other differences.

This. I do at least 111 push-ups every day, and sometimes some squats. Every time I go to the beach (more than 100 times last year) requires hiking ~480 stairs. Whenever I’m stressed and need to think about things and clear my mind I go for a 7-9km run around my neighbourhood and feel significant mental clarity afterwards.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 3:57 pm

fifasy wrote:
I can't think of a single funny comedian who has a beefed up physique. Part of what makes many comedians likeable is they're very thin or fat, or odd looking. I would rather stand in a line next to Robin Williams or Eddie Murphy than Dwayne Johnson or Mike Tyson.

I would think comedy is better for mental health than exercise.

Carrot Top is ripped, he’s just not very funny.

They do say that laughter is the best medicine.. so much so that in Israeli hospitals they have specially trained medical clowns to make children laugh so that they heal better and faster.

As for the rest of your post.. it’s called competition. I’ve been weak and now I’m strong and I’ll take strong any day of the week all day long and twice on Sunday for the rest of my life. It’s simply.. better.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 1:20 am

When I was young, I never wanted to use muscles if I could think of a way to use machines. I was always the last around the warm-up track, by a lot. Then, on my own and car-less, I rediscovered bicycling for all my errands, which was very fast and convenient. I have about 100,000 km on my bike now. Even though I've had a car for 1/3 of the time I've had the bike, I still ride it for exercise because I feel much better overall, and it is good for my health. Riding can be as sporty as you care to make it, from zero up, and it does not need as many fine motor skills as most, with your feet being guided. You also never have to wait for other people, or talk to them in transit.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 1:53 am

fifasy wrote:
Conventional wisdom is sport and exercise are wonderful because they make you more physically attractive, help you lose weight which is beneficial for avoiding illnesses and the endorphins released make you happier.

I found this, though, that contradicts that:

http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.co ... -says.html

Often I've been bullied more my people who are sporty and muscular and perhaps it is something they don't even realize they're doing. If excess exercise truly does impair brain function then they may not be able to engage in a friendly or compassionate way easily with others.

What would happen if a school tried an experiment and had no physical education lessons? In my opinion it should be tried and I think what would happen is people would become more intelligent. Most of the the great people - Einstein, van Gogh, Mozart, Thomas Edison - weren't or aren't too physically active.

Long term strenuous exercise is problematic. Not regular moderate exercise.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 12:23 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Taken to extremes I'm sure sport and exercise becomes pretty dangerous.

You're not far from the truth. Studies have confirmed that excessive exercise can lead to exhaustion and injuries - at worst, even depression.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

Exercise is boring, and I don't know of any job as tough physically as Olympic training. If you are listening to your body at all, you'll stop before doing damage. OTOH, if you don't exercise, some day you'll be walking as fast as you possibly can just to get across the street on a green light. That's not a fun way to finally try harder. Don't neglect the stretching, either. I tried to conserve time there, and wound up dealing with a bad back this week. Exercise is so good for depression that it should be required before or with other treatment in most cases.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 1:06 pm

I appreciate the input and I've come to the conclusion moderate exercise is a good thing. I'm finding I sometimes have more energy if I do some exercise whereas sitting around a lot can bring on more tiredness. I was a heavy alcohol drinker too and when I get the urge to drink some exercise helps keep it at bay.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 1:55 pm

There was a guy who actually kept his New Year's resolution to exercise. By spring, he hadn't noticed any difference, but gym was a habit. Then it was time to cut his lawn. He was done in 45 minutes. The previous year, it had taken two hours, and left him exhausted.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 7:30 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Exercise is so good for depression that it should be required before or with other treatment in most cases.

Yes, I agree!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 1:06 pm

I took my bike off the rollers and outside yesterday, and even though the scenery was still really boring, it seemed to do me a lot more good than watching videos. Given a choice, I'd always go for outdoor exercise. Getting sunlight in your eyes and on your skin sets off lots of good chemistry. It is also good to make it an automatic part of your life, by living where there's a lot of walking and climbing for access, or otherwise using fewer labour-saving machines.