Improving Testosterone, contradicting doctor advice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 2:44 am

I've been having several low T symptoms lately: lack of morning erections, fatigue in the morning, worse sexual performance, a weak libido, fatigue during the day.

I did two blood tests, both T. level were around 400 while the minimum is 300 ; so I have it low - both the doctors I visited said it's normal and shouldn't worry yet all the sampling researches I saw across saying that guys in my age range should have a 600-700 range. My number is the average normal for an elder man.

Both doctors focused more on my cholesterol level which is at normal level right. And they were not any doctors, they were both professors and heads of their sections and graduates from prestigious known American medical schools (won't name any).

And both were giving me pieces of advice which turned out not to be very helpful for T. level :

- Eat a lot of walnuts and almonds: A quick search you see studies that these actually decrease T. levels; these are literally planetary ovaries, estrogen-like powerhouses.

- 1st doctor said I should drink wine moderately on daily basis: A quick search, in fact....all studies done on Alcohol and Testosterone show that even moderate drinking has a serious negative effect on T. levels.

- Eat a lot of Olive Oil: This was one of the only good advice for T. level.

- Vitamin D: First doctor told me to get one pill per week, while the 2nd said 3 pills (ie. 10000 units each); none of them told me I should take it with a fatty meal though.

My T symptoms got worse of course, the wine advice and walnuts made it worse for my already fairly low T. In sum, their advice sucks.

2nd Doctor asked me to do FSH and LH blood which wasn't asked by first doctor. The second doctor at least admitted that I may have a case of moderate Hypogonadism. And surprisingly, none of them prescribed for Free Testosterone test, and I've learned recently that a total T. level number alone isn't much useful, there must be ratio to calculate. *facepalm*

The thing is, there are so many doubtful resources on Testosterone levels on the internet, there are plenty of websites trying to sell a Testosterone booster or body-building websites talking about it, I don't trust those much either.

My question:

- Is there out there any reliable studies on natural methods (ie. food list) to improve T. levels in men and studies on foods to avoid?

- Is there any scientifically proven workout exercises that increase T. levels, I found that body weight and cardio are the best, but only on workout websites , not medical research.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 4:14 am

I'm fairly certain resistance training is preferable to cardio in regards to testosterone. Ideally you should be doing the compound movements: Benchpress, squats, pull ups ect.

As for food to eat: All meats, eggs, poultry, dairy, fish, most veggies(especially broccoli, which has I3C, which is proven to lower estrogen), certain nuts(those high in monosat fat), Certain seeds(pumpkin seeds are best), mushrooms, starches(potatoes are best, but also rice, pasta, bread).

As for food to avoid: Soy, high sugar foods, foods high in polysaturated fat, foods high in transfat, alcohol, high sugar fruit.

That should be a decent guideline for what to aim for.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 4:15 am

As for cooking oils, the best are: Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard.

I like using coconut oil for frying veggies, butter for meats, eggs and fish, and olive oil for salads.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 3:02 am

Doctors seem to have a narrow thinking when it comes to lab test ranges without seeing the big picture?

My T level last time was 417 while normal range is 250-1000 (yet this range is bull, because for my age it should be around 600 according to sample studies I read).

My Zinc is 69 while normal range is 70-150 , Doctor considered it no problem.

Vitamin D is low.

My FSH is 0.9 while normal range (ON LAB PAPER) is 1.5 -20 - doctor said this is normal too.

So yeah, I have things "normal" but all of them are at the very very low end of range, so how is that is overall good? I don't get it.

I am gonna take some D and Zinc supplements anyway.

Not here
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm

It's maybe worth having a look on examine.com

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-can-i ... naturally/

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 7:04 am

^ Zinc supplements + vitamin D seem to make wonders for me.

Yew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2018, 9:12 am

Have you considered DHEA ?

neptun2020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2020, 7:28 am

I am a bodybuilder and my testosterone level is low so when I came to my trainer he said: "Hey bro, to get muscle mass you need to eat as 10 people do in a day. I know that it maybe sounds ridiculous and unbelievable, but it is what it is. If you what to have muscles you have to consume a huge amount of proteins (that you can find in meat, eggs, fish, cottage cheese, milk and so on). You must eat about 5 times a day. Also, you have to do more and more lifts with really heavyweights. And if your testosterone level sucks, take booster supplements." After these words, I foundan article about this that helped me choose the best pills.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2020, 2:46 am

Good articles & workout site relevant to T levels