Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2018, 4:16 pm

From what I gather, it seems that most of us on the spectrum don't particularly like being in a position of leadership. It makes sense when you consider most of us have social anxiety.

I myself always thought that I would hate having to be "put in charge," of things(had extreme anxiety about it when my boss at one of my first restaurant jobs told me she was going to move me up to a shift manager position), but to my surprise I loved it and I did good at it. It's a good thing, I guess, because I almost always get promoted to some sort of managerial position wherever I work. I'm not saying I'm power hungry or anything like that, but I've found that I favor working in that capacity as apposed to working as a regular crew member, which seems to not be the case with most other Aspies/HFAs.

So, what do you prefer: crew member or manager(leader or follower)?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 5:55 pm

I definitely prefer to follow. I'm a very strict rule-follower and like to have as specific directions as possible, and I loathe having to tell other people what to do. That being said, I won't blindly follow. What I really like best is doing my own thing completely independent of anyone else.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 6:52 pm

Probably depends on the situation. But what I really hate is when it's not clearly defined which one I'm doing.

I can tolerate leading as long as it's on something I feel comfortable with and I can be an unquestioned dictator.

I can also tolerate following as long as I'm not expected to do any decision making at all and I'm allowed to drop into a completely subservient role.

What I really don't like is when it's not clear who's in charge, but things still have to work.

I definitely agree with dragonsanddemons that the ideal situation is being able to do things completely independently and not have to worry about whether I'm leading or following.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 7:10 pm

Neither. I prefer to do my own thing, without interference or compromise.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I definitely prefer to follow. I'm a very strict rule-follower and like to have as specific directions as possible, and I loathe having to tell other people what to do. That being said, I won't blindly follow. What I really like best is doing my own thing completely independent of anyone else.
This.

I have had to lead (at work) in the past and it doesn't suit me. I'm quiet and leaders shouldn't be quiet because it's harder to get points or instructions across. People appreciate a loud, clear voice.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 3:37 pm

I would much rather follow than lead. Ultimately, I like to do my own thing.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 4:22 pm

I prefer following except for the fact that so often, managers and supervisors have been abysmally incompetent. So occasionally, I have had no choice but to lead.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 4:37 pm

I also prefer following instead of leading.

Anthracite_Impreza
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

I'm actually really bossy, I'm also the organiser of my friend group. That said, if the person who was in charge was someone I really trusted I'd prefer to be second in command (plus if sh*t hits the fan boss #1 gets all the criticism ;))

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 6:31 pm

I have trouble leading because I'm shy and it often takes me a while to articulate my thoughts. Plus, I need specific steps to know how to do something. I often end up following, which makes me feel guilty that I'm not contributing enough. But yeah, I prefer to do things by myself.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 7:07 pm

I am the kind of person that gets asked to lead a lot and I hate that. I often just like to be the non leader. I don't always like to follow either. It all depends on whom I am having to follow and if that person is a good leader or not. There are times when I like to lead though. Those are the times when I know exactly how to do what needs to get done and I want it done well and efficiently. But if I do not not know how to do something well, or if someone else is better suited to lead the situation, I prefer to have the better suited person lead it.

Wreck It Ralph