what things do you think SHOULD have been invented

Page 6 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

what things do you want somebody to invent?
a perpetual motion machine :bounce: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
antigravity boots :bounce: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
noiseless chainsaws :idea: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
self-tying shoes :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
a real holodeck :idea: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
compact warp drive :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
holographic surround sound in a box :idea: 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
real flying magic carpets :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
safe personal jetpacks :idea: 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
real hoverboard :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
calorie-free cholesterol-free fat :chef: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
a pill that does away with dookie :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
a brain amplifier :idea: 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
star-trek-style food replicator :chef: 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
machine that kills earthquakes and storms :idea: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
real androids :idea: 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
intelligent sexbots :bounce: 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
phonograph record optical scanner :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
machine that automatically heals all disease :idea: 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
portable houses :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 106

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 1:01 am

Human microwaving.

If you're arms are dead tired from ten hours of work you just stick your arms into the therapeutic microwave and zap it. And you would get the equivalent of a hot bath, or an electric heating pad, or of slathering your arms of with Ben Gay.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 1:07 am

i think they did experiments on that matter and found the microwaves hard to meter, IOW people didn't feel anything until they were burning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 1:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i think they did experiments on that matter and found the microwaves hard to meter, IOW people didn't feel anything until they were burning.

Probably not feasible.

The comedian George Wallace suggested using microwaves as a means of capital punishment.

"He killed 14 people? Ok. He gets 14 minutes. BING!. He's done.".

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2019, 3:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
hmmmmm.... i thought that warp drive was just about folding or warping space.

I'm assuming the Trek version of warp drive. The ship travels in a bubble of subspace where it's possible to exceed C. My idea puts whatever you want to move in hyperspace
and takes it back out somewhere else. Assuming it needs some sort of bubble or field around it to keep hyperspace and normal space from meeting. Hyperspace would be instantaneous (think the recent BSG, not Trek or Bab 5).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 7:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Expanding on AuntBlabby's inventions: Extract solo blues artists from the old field recordings and place them in Carnegie Hall backed by a chamber orchestra or rock band. The purists would tear me a new one for that but it'd be interesting to hear the old blues pioneers in different contexts.

something akin to that is being done, has been done for the last decade or so using advanced DSP algorithms, and is now in commercial products for everybody to use. one such product is ADX Trax Stems which soon is coming out for PC, has been a Mac product for about a year or so. the term for the process is "spectral source subtraction."

In the Nineties/early 2000's they made a top ten hit by electronically arranging Natalie Cole to sing a "duet" with her long deceased father Nat King Cole with the song "Unforgettable".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 12:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Expanding on AuntBlabby's inventions: Extract solo blues artists from the old field recordings and place them in Carnegie Hall backed by a chamber orchestra or rock band. The purists would tear me a new one for that but it'd be interesting to hear the old blues pioneers in different contexts.

something akin to that is being done, has been done for the last decade or so using advanced DSP algorithms, and is now in commercial products for everybody to use. one such product is ADX Trax Stems which soon is coming out for PC, has been a Mac product for about a year or so. the term for the process is "spectral source subtraction."

In the Nineties/early 2000's they made a top ten hit by electronically arranging Natalie Cole to sing a "duet" with her long deceased father Nat King Cole with the song "Unforgettable".

i have that CD. before that by a few years, they crudely dubbed a 78 rpm record of hank williams Sr. singing "there's a tear in my beer" along with Hank II.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 3:28 pm

The ability to mute loud people so you dont have to hear them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 10:59 pm

i have a relative who has a voice like an air raid siren. i could use a portable dome of silence in the occasions this person is near.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 3:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

i have that CD. before that by a few years, they crudely dubbed a 78 rpm record of hank williams Sr. singing "there's a tear in my beer" along with Hank II.

I love the Hanks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 3:07 am

Dylanperr wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

I love the Hanks.

there is a CD called "the three hanks" that features all 3 of them singing in harmony.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 7:40 am

Special goggles people can wear that show up coronavirus germs on surfaces and in the air.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 9:03 am

Genetically engineered whales that can eat plastic the way existing whales eat plankton: equipped like existing baleen whales with feed filters instead of teeth (like blue, fin, humpback, and right, whales), but with stomach enzymes that can break down plastic. They could scoop up the bits of plastic debris in the oceans, and recycle it back into the environment.

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2020, 9:14 am

My algorithm machine/device idea that shows and predicts emotional/conscious frequencies for intensive care mental hospitals, to create less direct and verbal disturbance between staff and patient and so the patients can leave quicker.

Though I fear the day technology takes over the world and replaces humans with robots, so maybe not.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 1:59 pm

Why would I want a noiseless chainsaw? That would remove like at least a third of the fun.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 1:10 am

a noiseless way of warning sight-impaired people of the present of approaching auto traffic.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 May 2020, 7:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Why would I want a noiseless chainsaw? That would remove like at least a third of the fun.
A lightsaber would be fun & easier to wield :mrgreen:

auntblabby wrote:
a noiseless way of warning sight-impaired people of the present of approaching auto traffic.
As someone who is sight-impaired, I would much rather a way to have normal sight.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition