Do you think there are any POSITIVE symptoms of autism?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 12:10 pm

I'm thinking about the POSITIVE Symptoms of Autism!! I'd like to write an article on it.

To give you an idea, here are some of my ideas so far:

- Hyper-memory and concentration (on things of interest),
- Hyper-perception and empathy (sometimes expressed in unusual ways),
- Questioning and always looking for the ‘why’ of things,
- Non-conformism,
- Lack of ‘self-discipline’ (in the limited sense we use it these days.. i.e. what other people think you should do!) and resistance to being 'improved' or hiding true self

Obviously it's hard and there are 2 sides to these things, but it's just I think the positive is nearly always overlooked.

So your input would be very much appreciated!
(all ideas, no matter how wild) 8O

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm

Of course it's different for each person, but I would say that the positives of autism can include a rich inner world, being analytical, and the ability to derive pleasure out of small things.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 1:00 pm

TheAP wrote:
Of course it's different for each person, but I would say that the positives of autism can include a rich inner world, being analytical, and the ability to derive pleasure out of small things.

Thank you TheAP, I have added those things... I agree.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 1:03 pm

My GF swears that I have an affinity with animals due to autism , she said she can't explain it but animals are drawn to me. She sees it as a very positive symptom ( if that's what it is )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2018, 1:07 pm

I found similar topic here: viewtopic.php?t=358260&start=15

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 1:40 pm

Thanks Nira. Really helpful.

Good with animals, like that one. It's true, look at people like Temple Grandin.

And yes... I can read really fast too! (just saw that on the thread you suggested looking at)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

Hyper sensory experiences are often unpleasant but can be positive, when I walk through a forest the sounds, smells, textures, colours and wind moving through the leaves has such a pleasant effect on my mind, I see beauty in the small details.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:23 pm

Good with animals applies in my case, certainly.
Good factual memory

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:28 pm

If they are positive then why are they called symptoms? I hate it when the word "symptoms" are used to define traits in autistic people, positive or negative.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 7:52 pm

Amity wrote:
Hyper sensory experiences are often unpleasant but can be positive, when I walk through a forest the sounds, smells, textures, colours and wind moving through the leaves has such a pleasant effect on my mind, I see beauty in the small details.

Amity, I love this. :heart:

ok, I already wrote:
"Sensitivity to light, sound, touch, and other sensory information. While this can be challenging (especially when an individual has often found their experiences traumatizing and overwhelming… in which case an overload can easily trigger fear responses), it is also a gift which has the capacity to bring high levels of awareness of ambience nuances, beauty and subtlety. Autistic people are often lovers of nature and the universe; appreciators of beautiful environments. On the flip side they have low tolerance levels for ugliness, pollution, strip lighting and noisy artificial environments."

With your permission may I use your words this as a quote at this point??? Tell me if ok with you !

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2018, 8:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
If they are positive then why are they called symptoms? I hate it when the word "symptoms" are used to define traits in autistic people, positive or negative.

Lostonearth i could not agree more! I called them 'symptoms'.. yes that's true... 'positive symptoms' is very much an oxymoron (I did that on purpose in the article. Though in this thread I think I should have rather said 'signs').

So, irony IS very much my intention. I'm kind of glad you brought this up (means that it obviously is ironic!! ! Or sounds weird at least. Is that a good thing?! Hm :? )

The fact is I think that the NEGATIVE symptoms... ha.. well let's just say that I've my own theories about autism that conflict a lot with the norm. Otherwise we might be here all day 8O

So conclusion: in the context of my writing 'symptoms' I think is the right choice of word - provoking thoughts about the entire debate - but it was silly to use it here with you guys. :oops:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 9:35 pm

Good rote memory
Hyperlexia
Synesthesia
Hyperempathy
Love for repetition and other tasks most people find mundane
Wisdom/Analyzing things to an extreme
Loyalty
Inability to succumb to peer pressure/not influenced by what other may think
Special interests
Ability to be calmed by external stimuli (like spinning objects)
Detail oriented
Hyperfocus on topics of interest
Planning ahead
Childlike personality, but likely seems very mature
Not needing to associate with popular people or know gossip
Non-judgemental
Visual thinkers
Doesn't care about status/social hierarchy
Modesty
Fantastic sense of humor
Can be good at presenting
Can work independently
Hyper organization or organized chaos :D
Good long term memory
Extensive vocabulary/says what they mean
Remarkable honesty
Affinity for animals
Reliable and trustworthy/keeps promises

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 11:56 pm

For me personally, the negatives outweigh the positives.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 12:00 am

SaveFerris wrote:
My GF swears that I have an affinity with animals due to autism , she said she can't explain it but animals are drawn to me. She sees it as a very positive symptom ( if that's what it is )

I have this too. The joke in my family is every animal wants to give me a hug. Squirrels, rabbits birds etc.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 1:16 am

katy_rome wrote:
Amity wrote:

Amity, I love this. :heart:

ok, I already wrote:
"Sensitivity to light, sound, touch, and other sensory information. While this can be challenging (especially when an individual has often found their experiences traumatizing and overwhelming… in which case an overload can easily trigger fear responses), it is also a gift which has the capacity to bring high levels of awareness of ambience nuances, beauty and subtlety. Autistic people are often lovers of nature and the universe; appreciators of beautiful environments. On the flip side they have low tolerance levels for ugliness, pollution, strip lighting and noisy artificial environments."

With your permission may I use your words this as a quote at this point??? Tell me if ok with you !

Yes, thats no bother.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2018, 2:16 am

EzraS wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I have this too. The joke in my family is every animal wants to give me a hug. Squirrels, rabbits birds etc.

That's what my son's like too (he's aspie)
There's a pony where they go riding who always wants to bite everyone. With him she is totally soppy ..follows him around trying to kiss his head and fluffing up his hair.