Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 5:11 pm

Those that are brilliant at maths are very brilliant indeed, but I think the overall profile is likely to be very uneven across the whole spectrum. My son-in-law and one of his sons are brilliant at maths, I was gifted in maths as a teenager at school, though nowhere on their consistent level (they have both won international prizes). We are all on the spectrum.

My guess is that 10% of AS people are brilliant at maths (whereas perhaps less than 5% of NTs are), and an equal number have no ability at all in the speciality, and the rest are scattered in between.

The thing is that when you get an AS maths genius, they seem to be the best of the best.

As a stereotype for the whole spectrum, it is ridiculous. But these stereotypes are generated mostly by NTs, as most of the AS stereotypes are, and should be seen in through that framework, also bearing in mind that the ignorance shown by much of the NT population when they impose their ideas on who and what we are has no apparent limit.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:26 am

Nope , I would find it hard to believe we are good at anything except for self loathing , whining and finding everything wrong with the world .

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:29 am

2+ 2 =

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:36 am

B19 wrote:
Those that are brilliant at maths are very brilliant indeed, but I think the overall profile is likely to be very uneven across the whole spectrum. My son-in-law and one of his sons are brilliant at maths, I was gifted in maths as a teenager at school, though nowhere on their consistent level (they have both won international prizes). We are all on the spectrum.

My guess is that 10% of AS people are brilliant at maths (whereas perhaps less than 5% of NTs are), and an equal number have no ability at all in the speciality, and the rest are scattered in between.

The thing is that when you get an AS maths genius, they seem to be the best of the best.

As a stereotype for the whole spectrum, it is ridiculous. But these stereotypes are generated mostly by NTs, as most of the AS stereotypes are, and should be seen in through that framework, also bearing in mind that the ignorance shown by much of the NT population when they impose their ideas on who and what we are has no apparent limit.

this is true being told what as is by nt family is almost laughable , if I had a sense of humour (another autistic trait being humourless )

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:42 am

aussiebloke wrote:

this is true being told what as is by nt family is almost laughable , if I had a sense of humour (another autistic trait being humourless )

I think I have a great sense of humour. If I can get a laugh, I feel much safer among people, and I have a strong preference for comedic entertainment.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 6:22 am

I always found numbers harder than letters, I was always better at English than mathematics. I did reasonably well with arithmetic but as the subject advanced into maths I had a lot of trouble learning it. Partly it was the teaching style that had become less compatible with my learning style, but the subject itself was largely to blame. It was probably the subject least related to my everyday life at the time. I scraped through the "A" level and was glad it was over.

After that I found some of my mathematical skills were useful in my science job, and occasionally in my private life, though I've never needed any of the advanced stuff. When computers came along I liked them because they could be programmed to do the sums at the touch of a button. I got into music, and being quite a techie I noticed how useful mathematics could be with sound, doubling the frequency giving an octave interval etc. But that's not very advanced. If a music program will only give me the start and end times of a sound recording in minutes, seconds and frames, I hate the calculation I have to do to subtract the start time form the end time of a sound clip to find its length. I liked deriving the formula to to work it out, because I only had to do that once and then I could write a program to do the arithmetic.