Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

JT_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2018, 10:55 am

First car accident today, got rear ended in traffic. I don't understand why people get so angry over a little accident, me and the other driver examined our cars and noticed only a few small scratches (not worth bothering insurance over) so he apologized, we shook hands and went on about our day.

Shook me up a bit but I still don't see why other people make a big deal over a couple of scratches.

RAADS-R: 170

madcats1967

27 Apr 2018, 11:21 am

It happened to me once (side-mirror of my car and another car "touched" and were ripped off), and I needed quite a few sessions with the psychiatrist to get over it. It took me ages to finally make a claim with the Insurance company. I couldn't manage. It was not the accident that bothered me (little damage), but the fact I had to interact unexpectedly with a person I had never seen before and I was thrown into a situation I was unfamiliar with. I needed psych help. A lot.

JT_

27 Apr 2018, 11:42 am

madcats1967 wrote:
It happened to me once (side-mirror of my car and another car "touched" and were ripped off), and I needed quite a few sessions with the psychiatrist to get over it. It took me ages to finally make a claim with the Insurance company. I couldn't manage. It was not the accident that bothered me (little damage), but the fact I had to interact unexpectedly with a person I had never seen before and I was thrown into a situation I was unfamiliar with. I needed psych help. A lot.

The guy was very apologetic from the first moment he stepped out of his car so that calmed me down, we could've easily been d*cks to each other and argued about it but what's the point in that.

It was the shock and unexpectedness of the initial impact that got me, one minute im minding my own business listening to the radio and the next I hear quite a loud bang and my car jolts forward. Not bothering with insurance because it's only a few small scratches and a tiny barely noticeable dent, my cars 10 years old with a few scratches already so no point.

madcats1967

27 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

The guy in the other car was quite nice too. He picked up the mirror from the street and slammed it back into place on my car. It was shattered, but still usable. But since it was a lease-car, we had to go through all the paper work anyway.

I still remember every second of that incident (what I was wearing, what the weather was like, how it happened, where it happened, how the guy looked like, ...) and this happened about 5 years ago. I didn't care about the car, but the unexpected situation involving another person made me paranoid.

I admire you for still having a sort of positive attitude about it. I couldn't and still can't manage that. Not that I blame anyone. It wasn't his fault, and it wasn't mine. It was the commune's fault that makes the streets too narrow :D

I just couldn't handle the situation.

JT_

27 Apr 2018, 12:45 pm

madcats1967 wrote:
The guy in the other car was quite nice too. He picked up the mirror from the street and slammed it back into place on my car. It was shattered, but still usable. But since it was a lease-car, we had to go through all the paper work anyway.

I still remember every second of that incident (what I was wearing, what the weather was like, how it happened, where it happened, how the guy looked like, ...) and this happened about 5 years ago. I didn't care about the car, but the unexpected situation involving another person made me paranoid.

I admire you for still having a sort of positive attitude about it. I couldn't and still can't manage that. Not that I blame anyone. It wasn't his fault, and it wasn't mine. It was the commune's fault that makes the streets too narrow :D

I just couldn't handle the situation.

I guess the fact that I know I wasn't to blame (and that also I had fitted a camera to the dashboard of my car when I bought it which showed that I did nothing wrong in case he tried to blame it on me for whatever reason) that put me at ease, if the accident would have been my fault I would've been terrified to speak to the other driver because I have quite bad social anxiety and I hate confrontations.

madcats1967

27 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm

I understand. A negative confrontation would have made it a hundred times worse. I would have frozen in such case. No speaking, hardly moving.

I think social anxiety is something you can learn to deal with (cognitive behavioural therapy or something like that). I have never reached that phase. After all those years I am still in the avoiding-phase. It's easier. I avoid any situation which might cause a (negative) confrontation. If I can't avoid it, I'll freak out.

I'm not helping you very much, am I ? :oops:

JT_

27 Apr 2018, 1:22 pm

madcats1967 wrote:
I understand. A negative confrontation would have made it a hundred times worse. I would have frozen in such case. No speaking, hardly moving.

I think social anxiety is something you can learn to deal with (cognitive behavioural therapy or something like that). I have never reached that phase. After all those years I am still in the avoiding-phase. It's easier. I avoid any situation which might cause a (negative) confrontation. If I can't avoid it, I'll freak out.

I'm not helping you very much, am I ? :oops:

I'd say I'm still avoiding it too, and I don't really think I need therapy or whatever it's called because I don't really have a desire to constantly be surrounded by people, I enjoy my own company if that makes sense. And luckily I have a job which involves me working alone the majority of the time, that being said if I spend enough time around a certain person I become comfortable with them and can have a conversation with them just like anyone else.

Personally I've always considered therapy both a waste of time and money.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm

I think that you and the other guy handled it well. I hope you're feeling better.

JT_

28 Apr 2018, 4:47 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that you and the other guy handled it well. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm fine thanks, only casualty was my bumper thankfully. It's never great when you're just out running a few errands and something completely unexpected happens that you have to deal with.

Tangens
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2019, 7:02 am

Once I also had an accident. I was hit by a car. The damage was not serious, but nevertheless I was on sick leave for some time. Worst of all, the insurance company refused compensation me money for medical bills. I turned to [url=https://www[/url] lawyers for help. Only after that I got the money back.

Last edited by B19 on 18 Nov 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 10:06 am

Glad to hear you're okay. I got rear-ended last October. Thankfully, we were both okay.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 6:58 pm

JT_ wrote:
First car accident today, got rear ended in traffic. I don't understand why people get so angry over a little accident, me and the other driver examined our cars and noticed only a few small scratches (not worth bothering insurance over) so he apologized, we shook hands and went on about our day.

Shook me up a bit but I still don't see why other people make a big deal over a couple of scratches.

If it was a collision, I would be mad because I can't afford to get it fixed. Not everyone has that privilege. It means having to use your savings and if they don't have insurance, you're screwed. Also just because it looks like some scratches doesn't mean that is all there is, there could be more damage than you see. Someone once backed into my dad's car and it wrecked the bumper. It looked fine so they just drove off. Soon the front came off and my dad took the car in to get it fixed and all they did was they popped it back in place than replacing the screws that popped out. My dad had the bottom part replaced that protects the engine and then he sold me thew car and he thought it was all fixed. Turns out it was not and the bumper got worse and worse because it had been hit and eventually the bottom started to pop out and more screws were coming out and I couldn't even drive it without the bottom popping off. It cost me $1,000 to get it fixed. Now what if I didn't have that money? I can understand why someone would be pissed about someone hitting their car and leaving some damage even if it might not be visible because they don't know if there is damage or not.

I have seen people driving around with missing hoods, plastic over missing windows or doors, rope holding down the drunk hood or to hold the bumper or back bumper in place probably because they can't afford to replace it or they are waiting for insurance to fix it. I once drove with a bent up hood and front bumper being crushed for three months because it took that long for our insurance to work it out because some man pulled out in front of me and I couldn't even go out on the driver's side because it wouldn't open. But the man had insurance and so did I and he was at fault so I wasn't mad. He was also honest too about the whole thing and called the police himself. But it wasn't his car, it was owned by his work and he was just heading to work. But despite the bent up hood and bumper on my car, there was more damage than it showed because when I got it fixed, it was well over $3,000 and more stuff was replaced like the radiator and my fender part that was holding my door closed. My car even had to get appraised to see how much it was worth because it was worth less than the damage, it would have been totaled and I wouldn't have had a car anymore because I couldn't afford a new one. This car was bought for me as a present. Some people are just one car away from having no car.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 7:16 pm

Same as Mad Cats

Got into a couple of car crashes

No major damage, no injury

But it scared the s**t out of me, because I had to call the insurance

Interrogation