Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:10 am

Chronos wrote:
aikoinazuma wrote:
I know that this might be a trivial problem and, given the demeanor of a lot of posters on WP, make quite a few people mad but I am tired of people saying these words all the time. I live in a Northern state and this is considered rude in many cases to address people by sir or madam. Reasons:

1. It is considered to be unequal. Northern states are more egalitarian vs the South and it's considered odd to address someone by these names.

2. It's considered shrill and just sound harsh.

3. They are outdated. When someone addresses me by sir/madam it makes me think they are stuck in the past and in addition implying that I am an old fogy. People in younger generations like my own often find sir/madam to be quite insulting in that manner. Put it this way: if you were a stranger and addressed me by sir/madam I probably wouldn't take you seriously on anything you say nor would I consider doing business with you.

4. Using sir/madam repeatedly in a conversation in some cases can also be rude as it is considered pushing a person's gender into their face. It's like repeating someone's name several times in the same sentence and implies the person is an idiot or inept.

Yes, this post probably comes across as rude itself but there are a lot of people from other states relocating up here who don't bother learning about the local culture and it's getting tiresome. The locals don't adapt to you, YOU adapt to their community. Yes, there are people from Northern states who move south or west and don't adapt to their new home. However, I live up here...you don't. We are discussing the North, not the south or west. Yes, you might come from a community where the social rules are different but that is no excuse to not attempt to abide by what is considered normal up here.

West of the Missippi to the west coast it's not common to use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing a customer or stranger, particularly when trying to get their attention.

I still like my idea of calling everyone sir.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Chronos wrote:
aikoinazuma wrote:
I know that this might be a trivial problem and, given the demeanor of a lot of posters on WP, make quite a few people mad but I am tired of people saying these words all the time. I live in a Northern state and this is considered rude in many cases to address people by sir or madam. Reasons:

1. It is considered to be unequal. Northern states are more egalitarian vs the South and it's considered odd to address someone by these names.

2. It's considered shrill and just sound harsh.

3. They are outdated. When someone addresses me by sir/madam it makes me think they are stuck in the past and in addition implying that I am an old fogy. People in younger generations like my own often find sir/madam to be quite insulting in that manner. Put it this way: if you were a stranger and addressed me by sir/madam I probably wouldn't take you seriously on anything you say nor would I consider doing business with you.

4. Using sir/madam repeatedly in a conversation in some cases can also be rude as it is considered pushing a person's gender into their face. It's like repeating someone's name several times in the same sentence and implies the person is an idiot or inept.

Yes, this post probably comes across as rude itself but there are a lot of people from other states relocating up here who don't bother learning about the local culture and it's getting tiresome. The locals don't adapt to you, YOU adapt to their community. Yes, there are people from Northern states who move south or west and don't adapt to their new home. However, I live up here...you don't. We are discussing the North, not the south or west. Yes, you might come from a community where the social rules are different but that is no excuse to not attempt to abide by what is considered normal up here.

West of the Missippi to the west coast it's not common to use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing a customer or stranger, particularly when trying to get their attention.

I still like my idea of calling everyone sir.

My post had a typo. Not common was supposed to be not uncommon.

I believe in Star Trek TNG the standard form of address was sir.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 11:35 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Calling a waitress by her first name is a way to emphasize the probably already obvious fact that you've looked at her boobs.
"Hmm ... 'Abigail' ... How cute! What do you call the other one?" :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2018, 11:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Calling a waitress by her first name is a way to emphasize the probably already obvious fact that you've looked at her boobs.
"Hmm ... 'Abigail' ... How cute! What do you call the other one?" :lol:

Haha!

I don’t hear ppl call anyone sir/madam here in Northeast. I moved from the south up here 10 years ago.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

In a fictional realm, not so long ago...

Captain: "As to the charge of 'Insubordination', you are awarded a thirty-day suspended bust and forfeiture of pay - also suspended - and if I ever hear of you calling one of my officers 'Pig' ever again, I will reduce your rank and put you in for a less-than-honorable discharge. Are we clear on this, Petty Officer Fnord?"

PO1 Fnord: "Sir! Yes, sir!"

Captain: "Are there any questions?"

PO1 Fnord: "Well, sir ... since I am not allowed to call one of your officers 'Pig', may I still refer to a pig as 'Sir'?

Captain: "I don't see why not. Dismissed."

PO1 Fnord: (Facing the officer who reported him, and snapping his best salute) "And a good day to you ... SIR!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.