Utilizing abstract spatial reasoning for verbal problems

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2018, 2:53 pm

I would like to find a way to utilize my stronger abstract spatial reasoning ability for verbal/language problems which I am much weaker at.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thank you.

Supplemental Information:
When I was a child, I comprehended things using some kind of non-verbal "thing" in my head. Sometimes they were like analogies to other things, and other times was purely a new "thing". I called it "thinking using my feelings". When I would work on hard problems, I would try to think by creating these "things" in my head and not use words. Words made things too difficult to reason about. As I got older, now 48, I forgot how to do this "thing thinking" and I get bogged down in problem solving. When I took the Ravens Matrix test (non verbal test), it felt very natural intellectually. I never got bogged down, even with the hardest problems. I felt more engaged with the harder problems and never felt that my limit was being reached. I simply got slower because I had to go through more possibilities. But if I have a verbal/language oriented problem then I get bogged down to the point of being "stopped". Other normal people are better at this than me. Since abstract spatial reasoning is my strength, I would like to find a way to utilize it for solving verbal problems.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 5:01 pm

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 5:17 pm

I'm like this too. The disparity between my verbal and nonverbal scores is 40 points. For me to solve verbal/language problems takes a lot of mental translating. If it's someone talking, I take written notes so I can refer back as many times as needed. Then I use the written notes to imagine what they mean by visualizing them inside my head. Then I write the images in my head down. Then I go back to the original notes and edit my writing to make sure I actually answered what was asked. It's tedious...