Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2018, 12:52 am

I read an article about a man pretending to be Muslim, marrying a Muslim woman, and, after they are married, he revealed that he is not a Muslim after all, and deliberately forced her to eat pork and drink alcohol, which resulted in her attempt to murder him (see here http://sanatansena.blogspot.com/2012/10 ... t-are.html )

I know a lot of you might disagree, but my main question question is why did the man do what he did? As someone of Jewish background who doesn't eat pork either I totally understand where that woman was coming from in doing what she did. But why did the man force her to eat pork?! If he just wanted to humiliate her, why would he go to all those lengths and marry her? What was he hoping go gain by going through marriage just for the sake of humiliating ONE person?

And also, she said she was eating pork to make him happy. Why would she do that? Clearly, the only way in which she was making him happy is sadism on his part. Why would she want to make him "happy" in this particular way? Its just crazy!

Does anyone have any answers about this? Is there anything more to the story I don't now?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 1:54 am

That was mean of him.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:05 am

While I have no idea what coming from a traditional Muslim culture, or being female, for that matter, is like, I do have the experience of being hopelessly dependent on someone and can easily see myself trying to make them happy at all costs, and the ensuing, murderous desperation when they refuse to be satisfied by anything I do.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:22 am

>news story about a Jew being abusive to a Muslim

Now there's something you don't see every day.

More like every five minutes... :?

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2018, 2:25 am

Barchan wrote:

He wasn't a Jew. Read the article. He was half Pakistanian half Norwegian, and his faith was Unitarian.

To give Jews and Muslims a credit, I don't think either group would force the other one to eat pork.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:55 am

I don't open links posted here if they are http links where the 's' for safe is missing, and especially to a blog. Why take the risk? If it was credible, it would be news no doubt.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 5:16 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
Barchan wrote:

He wasn't a Jew. Read the article. He was half Pakistanian half Norwegian, and his faith was Unitarian.

To give Jews and Muslims a credit, I don't think either group would force the other one to eat pork.

Yeah. Don't know how she got "Jew" out of that story.

In fact I was just gonna say "since Orthodox Jews also don't eat pork, and since Jews are less foreign to most Americans than are Muslims you could do a thought experiment. What would happen if an American Gentile were to force his/her Orthodox Jewish spouse to eat pork? I think there would probably be a public outrage even though most of the American public is pork eating and is Gentile because of the value Americans place on religious freedom."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 8:12 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
I read an article about a man pretending to be Muslim, marrying a Muslim woman, and, after they are married, he revealed that he is not a Muslim after all, and deliberately forced her to eat pork and drink alcohol, which resulted in her attempt to murder him (see here http://sanatansena.blogspot.com/2012/10 ... t-are.html )

I know a lot of you might disagree, but my main question question is why did the man do what he did? As someone of Jewish background who doesn't eat pork either I totally understand where that woman was coming from in doing what she did. But why did the man force her to eat pork?! If he just wanted to humiliate her, why would he go to all those lengths and marry her? What was he hoping go gain by going through marriage just for the sake of humiliating ONE person?

And also, she said she was eating pork to make him happy. Why would she do that? Clearly, the only way in which she was making him happy is sadism on his part. Why would she want to make him "happy" in this particular way? Its just crazy!

Does anyone have any answers about this? Is there anything more to the story I don't now?

You, as a person from Jewish background, aren't you surprised sometimes how extremely similar the two faiths?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 8:23 am

As someone atheist yet from a Muslim background working mostly with Christians (I live in a country which almost 40% are Christians) sometimes I get the 'peer pressure' to do things I am not much used to - like drinking alcohol which I am not much used to it nor I like. Hell, I had to drink on occasions even when I was still Muslim ages ago due to societal and occasional pressure.
Imagine you're on a elegant business dinner, all are Christian locals/foreigners with your own boss and coworkers - and they're giving wine to everyone on the table - imagine if everyone is cheering glasses while I am cheering with a cup of water , you would look so weird, alien and even so pretentious in front of them - in fact the Muslim code doesn't even allow you to dine a table where alcohol is served, but I had to do it anyone even when I was a believer.

Alcohol has a very deep social meaning for Christians in general , they would even react little offended if you're drinking water or coke in an occasion where you're supposed to drink wine or some alcohol and alienate you even more. I have learned this the hard way in Christian weddings.

I remember another incident on a Christian wedding, where my coworker, who's muslim and married to a newly veiled Muslim girl (veil isn't obligatory here) ; he shaked hands of everyone, she shakes the hands of all women, when the men there were about to shake her hand, she retreated her hand to a chest, a gesture which any muslim would understand meaning that she doesn't shake men's hands (some veiled women do shake, so we often wait for the girl to the first move)- this caused a wave of shocking reactions and objections for the <Christian> men, even their wives felt so offended , they didn't understand at first that it was for religious reasons.

I find it fascinating how a local Christian community surrounded by a 90% Muslim region (The Arab world) hadn't even learned yet these muslim-specific social cues.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 9:19 am

Sorry, I was being overly brash and I said something stupid. I swear it's like a reflex >_<

Still, wtf is wrong with this world?

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2018, 10:52 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:

You, as a person from Jewish background, aren't you surprised sometimes how extremely similar the two faiths?

As someone Messianic (a Jew who came to believe in Jesus but still follows Jewish practices in the name of Jesus) I thought about it a lot. And I am surprised why other Messianics haven't. While Messianic faith has started only in the 19-th century, the Islam is the only "old" religion that has two things in common with Messianics: belief in Jesus and obeying the Jewish law. True, majority of Messianics believe Jesus is God while Muslims don't, but isn't the fact that Muslims view Jesus to be a prophet "better" than Jews that reject Jesus altogether? So since both Jews and Muslims agree with Messianics in keeping the law, but Muslims are the only ones that agree that Jesus is a prophet, it seems logical that Messianics would take Muslim side. But they don't. They are every bit as pro-Israel and anti-Muslim as the rest of the Jewish community, oftentimes even more so.

And then there are also splinter groups of Messianics that don't believe Jesus is God either: www.torahofmessiah.com is an example. So, from the point of view of those kinds of Messianics, Muslims are the only people that they agree with on THREE topics: a) Jesus is Messiah b) Jesus is not God c) Law is still in force. But no, they don't like Muslims either, they are also very much pro-israel and anti-palestine. So yeah I don't get it why those things don't occur to people.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 11:27 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:

As someone Messianic (a Jew who came to believe in Jesus but still follows Jewish practices in the name of Jesus) I thought about it a lot. And I am surprised why other Messianics haven't. While Messianic faith has started only in the 19-th century, the Islam is the only "old" religion that has two things in common with Messianics: belief in Jesus and obeying the Jewish law. True, majority of Messianics believe Jesus is God while Muslims don't, but isn't the fact that Muslims view Jesus to be a prophet "better" than Jews that reject Jesus altogether? So since both Jews and Muslims agree with Messianics in keeping the law, but Muslims are the only ones that agree that Jesus is a prophet, it seems logical that Messianics would take Muslim side. But they don't. They are every bit as pro-Israel and anti-Muslim as the rest of the Jewish community, oftentimes even more so.

And then there are also splinter groups of Messianics that don't believe Jesus is God either: http://www.torahofmessiah.com is an example. So, from the point of view of those kinds of Messianics, Muslims are the only people that they agree with on THREE topics: a) Jesus is Messiah b) Jesus is not God c) Law is still in force. But no, they don't like Muslims either, they are also very much pro-israel and anti-palestine. So yeah I don't get it why those things don't occur to people.

Islam was born from a non-trinitarian Messianic Jewish sect (who rejected Jesus divinity).

Read The Priest & the Prophet by Joseph Azzi.

There was no consensus among early christians on the nature of Jesus in early Christianity; some jews remained monotheistic and practicing jewish laws yet believes in Jesus; those branched into non-trinitarian messianic jewish faiths (ie. the Ebionites, Nassarahs) and those were common most in Arabia. The word “Nassarah” in the Quran as “people of the book” aren’t actually the Trinitarian christians; the latters are considered polytheists by the Quran itself. (That’s why radical islamists such as ISIS are by far more violent toward Christians today than toward Jews, radical islamists rarely attack Jewish holy places because they are holy in their muslim perspective as well).

It’s only by 325 AD when Catholic and Orthodoxe clergy did the first council of Nicea (a large christian summit that included both churches) and declared an official definition of what makes on Christian - trinity was at the core of this definition - rendering the non-trinity sects as heretics. The main “seed” of Islam was born back then.

What’s interesting about this book, even tho it was written by a Christian lebanese priest about 20 years ago, it didn’t cause any uproar among the local muslims; because in his writing he is not actually accusing Mohammad of stealing the scriptures from the gospel of ebionites (but you can easily conclude the possibility) but he actually stated facts, based on *Islamic* sources- that Mohammad was mentored by an Ebnionite chief priest and Mohammad’s first wife (whom he remained married with her alone till she died; no polygamy before her death) was this priest’s cousin and was most likely an Ebionite as well.

And at the core of Islamic faith, there’s the idea that “Islam”
existed *before* Mohammad - this is a fundemental point that Muslims learn since they were toddlers - they often call the pre-mohammad muslims as “hanifs” - meaning any sect or people who believed in one God only and all its prophets (including Jesus). So the author was actually really explaining who were exactly these hanifs; and hence his book doesn’t really contradict the muslim faith (that if they still believe in the angel story).

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2018, 1:48 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:

And then there are also splinter groups of Messianics that don't believe Jesus is God either: http://www.torahofmessiah.com is an example. So, from the point of view of those kinds of Messianics, Muslims are the only people that they agree with on THREE topics: a) Jesus is Messiah b) Jesus is not God c) Law is still in force. But no, they don't like Muslims either, they are also very much pro-israel and anti-palestine. So yeah I don't get it why those things don't occur to people.

Islam was born from a non-trinitarian Messianic Jewish sect (who rejected Jesus divinity).

Read The Priest & the Prophet by Joseph Azzi.

There was no consensus among early christians on the nature of Jesus in early Christianity; some jews remained monotheistic and practicing jewish laws yet believes in Jesus; those branched into non-trinitarian messianic jewish faiths (ie. the Ebionites, Nassarahs) and those were common most in Arabia. The word “Nassarah” in the Quran as “people of the book” aren’t actually the Trinitarian christians; the latters are considered polytheists by the Quran itself. (That’s why radical islamists such as ISIS are by far more violent toward Christians today than toward Jews, radical islamists rarely attack Jewish holy places because they are holy in their muslim perspective as well).

It’s only by 325 AD when Catholic and Orthodoxe clergy did the first council of Nicea (a large christian summit that included both churches) and declared an official definition of what makes on Christian - trinity was at the core of this definition - rendering the non-trinity sects as heretics. The main “seed” of Islam was born back then.

What’s interesting about this book, even tho it was written by a Christian lebanese priest about 20 years ago, it didn’t cause any uproar among the local muslims; because in his writing he is not actually accusing Mohammad of stealing the scriptures from the gospel of ebionites (but you can easily conclude the possibility) but he actually stated facts, based on *Islamic* sources- that Mohammad was mentored by an Ebnionite chief priest and Mohammad’s first wife (whom he remained married with her alone till she died; no polygamy before her death) was this priest’s cousin and was most likely an Ebionite as well.

And at the core of Islamic faith, there’s the idea that “Islam”
existed *before* Mohammad - this is a fundemental point that Muslims learn since they were toddlers - they often call the pre-mohammad muslims as “hanifs” - meaning any sect or people who believed in one God only and all its prophets (including Jesus). So the author was actually really explaining who were exactly these hanifs; and hence his book doesn’t really contradict the muslim faith (that if they still believe in the angel story).

Yeah, I heard of the fact that there were underground messianic movement that obeyed the Jewish law. In particular, one thing I heard was that the students of apostles (known as church fathers) were against keeping the law, while the biological children of the apostles were in favor of keeping the law. One website that explores the history of lawkeeping Christianity is http://netzarim.co.il/ The official church took the side of church fathers and thats why Messianic movement went underground. But an evidence that Messianic movement persisted can be found even in the fact that there were church fathers (such as John Chrystostome) denouncing them: if there were nobody Messianic, why waste time telling people how wrong they are?

I never heard people say that those movements gave the birth to Islam, but I came up with my own theory that it might have happened, which can be deduced from pure logic: since the Messianic movements were around, and since its a lot easier for Mohammed to decide to be Messianic by listening to other Messianics rather than just coming up with it out of the blue, its pretty reasonable that he listened to other Messianics. So I am glad that my own pure logical deduction turned out to be true from what you just said. I have no idea why nobody else ever talks about it: it is probably due to a modern day politics.

As far as your point about Isis destroying only Christian sacred places and not the Jewish ones, it leads me down a different logical path. Even though, as you said, Muslims view Christians (rather than Jews) as pagans, the surveys conducted in todays Islamic countries shows that 80 percent of Muslims rate their attitude towards Jews as negative and only 50 percent of Muslims rate their attitude towards Christians as negative. Yet, at the same time, we also know that most Islamic countries, including Iran and so forth, are actually opposed to ISIS, while Israel-friendly America secretly financed it. So could it be that one of the sects of Islam is more Jew-friendly, Christian-hostile, and thats ISIS, and the other sect of Islam is more Christian-friendly, Jew-hostile, and thats Iran and other countries? But of course its just my theory. I have no clue other than blind guessing. What are your thoughts on this?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 5:49 am

^ it’s due to politics, but historically Muslims and Jews got along better than Muslims and Christians; and even better than Jews and Christians. Albania was one of the few European countries that actively saved Jewish refugees from holocaust.

There’s still a Jewish community in Iran and Meghreb.

Radicals as the likes of ISIS though follow the Qur’an by the letter; while most Muslims don’t.

Quote:
People of the Book, do not go to excess in your religion, and do not say anything about God except the truth: the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was nothing more than a messenger of God, His word, directed to Mary, a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers and do not speak of a 'Trinity'—stop, that is better for you—God is only one God, He is far above having a son, everything in the heavens and earth belongs to Him and He is the best one to trust.

— Qur'an, sura 4 (An-Nisa), ayat 171[3]
Those who say, "God is the Messiah, son of Mary," have defied God. The Messiah himself said; "Children of Israel, worship God, my Lord and your Lord." If anyone associates others with God, God will forbid him from the Garden, and Hell will be his home. No one will help such evildoers. Those people who say that God is the third of three are defying [the truth]: there is only One God. If they persist in what they are saying, a painful punishment will afflict those of them who persist. Why do they not turn to God and ask his forgiveness, when God is most forgiving, most merciful? The Messiah, son of Mary, was only a messenger; other messengers had come and gone before him; his mother was a virtuous woman; both ate food. See how clear We make these signs for them; see how deluded they are.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 72-75[4]
And when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 116[5]

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2018, 9:44 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ it’s due to politics, but historically Muslims and Jews got along better than Muslims and Christians; and even better than Jews and Christians. Albania was one of the few European countries that actively saved Jewish refugees from holocaust.

There’s still a Jewish community in Iran and Meghreb.

Radicals as the likes of ISIS though follow the Qur’an by the letter; while most Muslims don’t.

Quote:
People of the Book, do not go to excess in your religion, and do not say anything about God except the truth: the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was nothing more than a messenger of God, His word, directed to Mary, a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers and do not speak of a 'Trinity'—stop, that is better for you—God is only one God, He is far above having a son, everything in the heavens and earth belongs to Him and He is the best one to trust.

— Qur'an, sura 4 (An-Nisa), ayat 171[3]
Those who say, "God is the Messiah, son of Mary," have defied God. The Messiah himself said; "Children of Israel, worship God, my Lord and your Lord." If anyone associates others with God, God will forbid him from the Garden, and Hell will be his home. No one will help such evildoers. Those people who say that God is the third of three are defying [the truth]: there is only One God. If they persist in what they are saying, a painful punishment will afflict those of them who persist. Why do they not turn to God and ask his forgiveness, when God is most forgiving, most merciful? The Messiah, son of Mary, was only a messenger; other messengers had come and gone before him; his mother was a virtuous woman; both ate food. See how clear We make these signs for them; see how deluded they are.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 72-75[4]
And when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah ?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 116[5]

So what is your actual belief? In your other posts you said you were atheist but now it sounds like you are a Muslim. Or are you saying that your faith is something along the lines that "there is 'probably' no God but IF there is God, His religion would be Islam"? Or what is your belief?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 9:54 am

^ I have been atheist for more than 20 years; but religion origins is one of my interests - probably that what led me mainly to atheism.

And no, if there’s really a creator it wouldn’t be the Islamic (or biblical) God.