Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 2:31 pm

Video D.

I don’t go on Sunday much these days.
I am regular on Friday nights and watch the sermons on my iPhone.

I love sleeping in and taking cat naps with my cat.
Though recently(2 hours and 7 minutes ago) I found out I am allergic to cats.

Do you think my HAS ( harmonica acquisition syndrome has turned the blues into the isolation Blues. )

Humor is good medicine for the soul.
That might be true but during allergy season my laughter turns to literal gags and aching ribs.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 3:23 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I don't want to waste time going to Church on Sunday. Maybe I idolize sleeping in?

If I had a genocidal son murdering God, I would not visit him either.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing
that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2018, 5:37 am

I consider myself an atheist and even an anti-theist. the notion of worshipping something always seemed wrong to me. like some kind of slavery. which it is, if god is actually a form of the Demiurge.
hell, if any of this is even real, at all. we might have some kind of shared consciousness and access to some kind of spirit realm, but until we get some actual hard science on that(or if i get super high on DMT or something), i remain a filthy unbeliever :P

So, yes, yes and depends. although even shamans might be worshipping the wrong thing. i dont know. s**t be complicated xD

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 10:25 am

Tanker wrote:
I consider myself an atheist and even an anti-theist. the notion of worshipping something always seemed wrong to me. like some kind of slavery. which it is, if god is actually a form of the Demiurge.
hell, if any of this is even real, at all. we might have some kind of shared consciousness and access to some kind of spirit realm, but until we get some actual hard science on that(or if i get super high on DMT or something), i remain a filthy unbeliever :P

So, yes, yes and depends. although even shamans might be worshipping the wrong thing. i dont know. s**t be complicated xD

Demiurge is just a mythical name and description we gave to another mythical God, Yahweh.

There are no supernatural beliefs in Gnostic Christianity.

Prior to Christians and Muslims becoming literal readers of their myths, the ancients had a much better way of reading scriptures and seeking God. God then was described more like the best rules and laws to live life by. Please view this short link.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Our myths were specifically written to put against the Christian myth before they foolishly started reading their myths literally. That mistake led to 1,000 years of the Dark Age of Inquisitions against free thought and freedom of religions.

This short link speaks of that transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

Regards
DL

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 11:21 am

Most in the western world idolize mammon.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 1:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Most in the western world idolize mammon.

Off topic, but I agree.

Regards
DL

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2018, 2:19 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
I think that atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal.

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods. That's the definition. That's the one thing atheists share.

Outside of that single characteristic, we're all over the place.

You're not qualified to tell me what I think, what I idolize, or what my ideals are.

quincium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2018, 2:34 pm

Even if atheists are idolaters by virtue of their (lack of) beliefs alone, they don't follow a religion that specifies idolatry as any sort of universal sin or moral bad, so there's no inherent hypocrisy here and it doesn't matter too much.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 3:42 pm

MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
I think that atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal.

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods. That's the definition. That's the one thing atheists share.

You're not qualified to tell me what I think, what I idolize, or what my ideals are.

I am not telling you what your full ideals are.

I am saying you place your ideology, whatever it is, above all the others and that is technically idolizing it.

You can play with the semantics if you like but you cannot get away from that fact.

Listen to this rather good presentation but ignore the preachy end of the presentation and just absorb the ideas presented on what you worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs&t=1s

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 3:45 pm

quincium wrote:
Even if atheists are idolaters by virtue of their (lack of) beliefs alone, they don't follow a religion that specifies idolatry as any sort of universal sin or moral bad, so there's no inherent hypocrisy here and it doesn't matter too much.

The reasons for the sages speaking out against idolatry apply to all as it closes all minds, regardless of the belief and that hinders a minds evolution and growth.

Regards
DL

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2018, 4:48 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

I am saying you place your ideology, whatever it is, above all the others and that is technically idolizing it.

You can play with the semantics if you like but you cannot get away from that fact.

Listen to this rather good presentation but ignore the preachy end of the presentation and just absorb the ideas presented on what you worship.

Regards
DL

Your description of me, an atheist, as an idolater seems based on an assumption that my atheism is the ideal I hold the highest. Most definitions of "worship" include a reference to the divine, or at least the sacred - and most definitions of "sacred" are build on references to the divine.

Can you discuss any of this without relying on religious interpretation?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 5:07 pm

MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Your description of me, an atheist, as an idolater seems based on an assumption that my atheism is the ideal I hold the highest. Most definitions of "worship" include a reference to the divine, or at least the sacred - and most definitions of "sacred" are build on references to the divine.

Sure. Do whatever substitutions you like.

I am quite good with semantics and am quite flexible in using whatever word you would like.

"Your description of me, an atheist, as an idolater seems based on an assumption that my atheism is the ideal I hold the highest."

Is my assumption wrong?

If you do not hold your atheist ideology above all else, then what do you hold above it?

Regards
DL

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2018, 1:36 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

I am quite good with semantics and am quite flexible in using whatever word you would like.

"Your description of me, an atheist, as an idolater seems based on an assumption that my atheism is the ideal I hold the highest."

Is my assumption wrong?

If you do not hold your atheist ideology above all else, then what do you hold above it?

Regards
DL

Interesting reframe.

There are a number of things more important to me than "atheist ideology", which boils down to "I haven't seen any evidence for the existence of gods so I don't have a reason to believe they exist." Not really an ideology so much as an adherence to scientific principles, in my case.

Moral absolutism usually makes me uncomfortable. In general terms, I think I'd start with reason as the thing I hold above all else...except when love defeats reason.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 7:43 am

MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Is my assumption wrong?

Regards
DL

Interesting reframe.

There are a number of things more important to me than "atheist ideology", which boils down to "I haven't seen any evidence for the existence of gods so I don't have a reason to believe they exist." Not really an ideology so much as an adherence to scientific principles, in my case.

Moral absolutism usually makes me uncomfortable. In general terms, I think I'd start with reason as the thing I hold above all else...except when love defeats reason.

Adhering to scientific principles is a part of your thinking system and thus a part of your ideology.

All else is semantics.

Regards
DL

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2018, 6:57 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Adhering to scientific principles is a part of your thinking system and thus a part of your ideology.

All else is semantics.

Regards
DL

Adherence to scientific principles is definitely part of my thinking system, and thus a part of my ideology.

Dismissing all the other parts of my thinking system and ideology as semantics is neither accurate nor useful.

We are not mentally one-dimensional. I do not worship adherence to scientific principles, I admire it. It is one of a number of standards (or ideals, if you like) to which I aspire.

Any attempt to conflate that with idolatry is...a bit on the silly side.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2018, 6:19 pm

MissChess wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

All else is semantics.

Regards
DL

Adherence to scientific principles is definitely part of my thinking system, and thus a part of my ideology.

Dismissing all the other parts of my thinking system and ideology as semantics is neither accurate nor useful.

We are not mentally one-dimensional. I do not worship adherence to scientific principles, I admire it. It is one of a number of standards (or ideals, if you like) to which I aspire.

Any attempt to conflate that with idolatry is...a bit on the silly side.

Not when you go by dictionary definitions and have an open enough mind to see the synonyms in play.

None of us are one dimensional but we can sum up all our dimensions as a part of our ideology.

If you have the time and can be more lenient in your definitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs

Regards
DL