Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

learl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2018, 11:36 pm

My sister is 22 and is in denial she has Aspergers. I believe she has it because some of her jokes are inappropriate (like jokes about babies), she doesn't make eye contact and spends her money unwisely. She was in special ed. I take a public speaking class and my classmate was chosen as the leader. His topic choice was the best and worst things that happened to us this year. I said the worst thing was my mom made me lie that I'm applying for SSI so that my sister can apply. My sister is a little bit autistic and she denies it. We were at home and I was talking about college. I told her about this. We were debating and I told her "there are no facts only interpretations" She told me I should have said "from my perspective" because she said I'm not a doctor. I told her it is commonly accepted that she's autistic. When I was in HS some of my friends asked me what's wrong with her.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 11:55 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet!

Has your sister done the AQ (Autism Quotient) test? Would she be willing to do so?

The test was developed at Cambridge University's Autism Research Centre to check whether people have traits typically associated with ASD. It's still not a diagnosis; it's entirely possible to have these traits but still not have ASD and vice-versa, but still a useful tool to get an idea.

You can find the test here:
https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

You can find details about interpreting the results here:
http://aspergerstest.net/interpreting-aq-test-results/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 1:31 am

Does she have a diagnoses?

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2018, 2:08 am

Lots of people tell inappropriate jokes. A more autistic trait is that you are the last to get jokes.

Spending her money unwisely also does not indicate Asperger's Syndrome.

I think that the fact that you are using these as examples to prove that she has AS, shows that you are not qualified to make such a diagnosis. Maybe you should both take an AQ test and then you can compare the results.