How can my posts reach more people?

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:48 pm

Temeraire wrote:
My apologies, Dylan, for the part I played in corrupting your thread.

But your question did get plenty of people to come and have a look even if most of us didn't give any useful responses.

:oops:

Just wanted to point this bit out.

Asking a question as a thread title is in fact an excellent way to get your threads to reach more people. It is literally one of the simplest, most common, most effective sales techniques. Sales is exactly what you're doing when you write a topic here.. you're trying to sell someone on clicking, reading, and responding to it. Salesmen who ask a few targeted questions and then let their prospective customer answer are FAR more successful than those who simply tell someone a fact about something. So, doing what the OP did by phrasing a thread topic as a question is in fact a fantastic method to get his posts to reach more people. Had he written "My posts don't reach a lot of people," not very many people would bother clicking, reading, or replying. We'd just read the statement and know all we needed to know about it, and it would have been a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. But phrased as a question, especially one like this politely asking for help, and it gets peoples' wheels spinning with their answers so they feel compelled to click, read, and reply.

The OP solved his own problem without even realizing it.. but might not have noticed the difference or really learned what I just wrote had I not just pointed this out. Apologies if it was already obvious and I'm just explaining the obvious. And if it's news to you.. you're welcome. :)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 2:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

But your question did get plenty of people to come and have a look even if most of us didn't give any useful responses.

Asking a question as a thread title is in fact an excellent way to get your threads to reach more people. It is literally one of the simplest, most common, most effective sales techniques. Sales is exactly what you're doing when you write a topic here.. you're trying to sell someone on clicking, reading, and responding to it. Salesmen who ask a few targeted questions and then let their prospective customer answer are FAR more successful than those who simply tell someone a fact about something. So, doing what the OP did by phrasing a thread topic as a question is in fact a fantastic method to get his posts to reach more people. Had he written "My posts don't reach a lot of people," not very many people would bother clicking, reading, or replying. We'd just read the statement and know all we needed to know about it, and it would have been a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. But phrased as a question, especially one like this politely asking for help, and it gets peoples' wheels spinning with their answers so they feel compelled to click, read, and reply.

The OP solved his own problem without even realizing it.. but might not have noticed the difference or really learned what I just wrote had I not just pointed this out. Apologies if it was already obvious and I'm just explaining the obvious. And if it's news to you.. you're welcome. :)

Just to expand a little if I may, Mr Goldfish.

Asking an open question, as opposed to a closed question, requires the listener to respond with information and engage with some commitment.

If I ask a closed question, which will only get a yes or no, it can end the conversation.

Jounalists use what, when, how, where, etc. questions which are open and get them info they need to write their article.

If I ask 'how' you did something you will tell me, if I ask 'if' you did something you will only say yes or no.

Also asking too many questions can seem like a person is being grilled and cause them to shut down - the art to engaging people is balance and listening and noticing their reactions. It takes time. I still make mistakes in this area even though I have had plenty of training. I just can't help being aspie I guess :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 2:43 pm

Temeraire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Temeraire wrote:

Just to expand a little if I may, Mr Goldfish.

Asking an open question, as opposed to a closed question, requires the listener to respond with information and engage with some commitment.

If I ask a closed question, which will only get a yes or no, it can end the conversation.

Jounalists use what, when, how, where, etc. questions which are open and get them info they need to write their article.

If I ask 'how' you did something you will tell me, if I ask 'if' you did something you will only say yes or no.

Also asking too many questions can seem like a person is being grilled and cause them to shut down - the art to engaging people is balance and listening and noticing their reactions. It takes time. I still make mistakes in this area even though I have had plenty of training. I just can't help being aspie I guess :mrgreen:

All very good points! Thanks for adding. 8)

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2018, 6:04 pm

It might be best to reach more people through a quality (as opposed to a quantity) reach!

From my personal experiences, I note discussion threads receiving one to two-dozen responses; as too many responses often become too cumbersome (too much quantity) to follow; whereas, too few responses to a topic may indicate too little interest.

It may also be good to assess active discussions, and post content discussing overlooked facets of active topics.

It's more of an art than a science in determining how to reach more people; that is "gut feelings" may be your best guide to reaching ample numbers of people!