REG: Autism-Friendly / Autism-Aware and Bars/Nightclubs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Would You Patronize a Bar/club that was specifically designed for peole on the autism spectrum?
ABSOLUTELY YES! I Think It would Be Fun. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Maybe, It Depends on a lot of factors 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
I'm Too Young to Attend Bars/Nightclubs 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
I'm Neutral to the Idea 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's a Waste of a Building and Time. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I Have Some Other Opinion in the Comments Below. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2018, 7:30 pm

Hi Everyone:

So yesterday was interesting to say the least, I went out to Chipotle but life really hit the fan. First due to over-exposure to heat I was feeling dizzy, light-headed, and in general like the energy was being drained out of me. I ordered, ate my things and got a couple of refills on my coke when cue two children with bright, rapidly-flashing, light generating objects. This triggers more dizziness, light-headedness, and a bunch of other issues. I tell the chipotle to call a code because this is not normal operational values. The medics come and pretty much say there's nothing wrong with me and opt to call my roommates instead of taking me to the emergency room.

Once I'm in the car with my roommates, they were talking about their plans going to a bar and asked if I wanted to come, but that was scratched because of the loud environment and lightning. I don't mind this because bars/nightclubs don't seem like much would interest me there anhyway. They said that if we got me some really dark sunglasses and kept my headphones on I mighgt be able to survive in such an environment.

When we get home I was feeling lonely and so I told Allen by my iPad that I wanted a Makayla-Shapewd woman to hold my hands and hug me for ever. Allen comments that I might find such at a club, but it would need to be a "quiet club" which I laugh at and tell him "lol! "quiet club" that's the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard of!" then he says "well, maybe that your pathway to success is starting a club that specifically targets autistic people." My response was "Autism-Aware / Autism-Friendly (MS-ASM) and vendor type "club/bar" go together like toasters and bathtubs." Based on my interactions with autistic people from work and in other applications other than online, most of them would not be interested in attending such things. Note that my small sample of about 15 or so doesn't represent the entire autistic community as a whole.

What do you think? What would an autism-aware / autism-friendly club or bar look like for you? Don't forget to vote in the poll attached.

- more than likely on a mobile device

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:03 pm

I guess it would be a small pub like place.

They would have build a number of soundproof individual de-stress rooms.

Instead of a sound system or a jukebox headphones would be given out.

There would have to be a very strict crowd limit so people do not touch or bump into each other which would make the place unprofitable.

Thursday would be special interest night.

For executive dysfunction, closing announcements would begin an hour before closing time and be repeated every ten minutes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2018, 7:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I guess it would be a small pub like place.

They would have build a number of soundproof individual de-stress rooms.

There would have to be a very strict crowd limit so people do not touch or bump into each other which would make the place unprofitable.

Thursday would be special interest night.

For executive dysfunction, closing announcements would begin an hour before closing time and be repeated every ten minutes.

How that I think on it, that’s a brilliant idea. If only I could draw concepts of what it’d look like. Oh and for those who don’t drink alcohol, those coke freestyle soda machines.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 7:48 pm

Not a bad idea.

I’m not into bars/clubs, though.

I did enjoy playing pool in bars when I was younger, though.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 8:11 pm

Used to be, when I was younger, that there were pubs that were nice old buildings with several separate rooms that didn't all have piped music; no cable TV showing sports games; no bands/karaoke on a Fri/Sat night etc. There are very few like that these days, and I miss them - I could actually go out for a couple of drinks and still manage a bit of conversation.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I got dragged out to a little local festival once where, in order to keep to the sound pollution laws, they had a silent rave. Everyone was issued with wireless headphones, and there was even a choice of two or three DJs that you could tune into. The best bit was taking the phones off and watching everyone dancing in silence and listening to all the noises that their feet and clothes made as they jigged away. It's probably the best night of dancing I've ever had, much easier to have a chat or order a drink at the bar, and very, very surreal. I'm definitely in favour of that one!

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2018, 8:18 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Used to be, when I was younger, that there were pubs that were nice old buildings with several separate rooms that didn't all have piped music; no cable TV showing sports games; no bands/karaoke on a Fri/Sat night etc. There are very few like that these days, and I miss them - I could actually go out for a couple of drinks and still manage a bit of conversation.

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I got dragged out to a little local festival once where, in order to keep to the sound pollution laws, they had a silent rave. Everyone was issued with wireless headphones, and there was even a choice of two or three DJs that you could tune into. The best bit was taking the phones off and watching everyone dancing in silence and listening to all the noises that their feet and clothes made as they jigged away. It's probably the best night of dancing I've ever had, much easier to have a chat or order a drink at the bar, and very, very surreal. I'm definitely in favour of that one!

Brilliance if ever I heard it :-)