Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 1:23 pm

I’ve talked about getting one before, but now I have one! She is a beautiful young girl named Walnuts. I was wondering if there was anyone around to talk to about the challenges of training, having a SD when you don’t look disabled, etc. I am training her myself. I love her, but it is not the easiest thing in the world to do! Well worth the hard work though!

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 1:49 pm

I have a service dog, Asher.

And here is a small YouTube channel I watch with an autistic with a service dog.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVGeVH ... 36MmR86gzw

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2018, 2:08 pm

I don't have one yet, but my family's GP suggested the idea, and now I'm set to start the process either this summer or next January. Congratulations on your adoption! I hope it works out well for you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 2:48 pm

It's been considered for me. But the family, including myself, decided that I am so much work to look after, looking after a pet and the training and all that was a little too much to deal with.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 5:50 pm

I thought service dogs had two years of training before they went to a person with a disability. I have known one person with an emotional support dog, and several who were training them before being put with a their person with a disabiilty. Are there different programs in different places? I'd love to hear more about it.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 7:47 am

blazingstar wrote:
I thought service dogs had two years of training before they went to a person with a disability. I have known one person with an emotional support dog, and several who were training them before being put with a their person with a disabiilty. Are there different programs in different places? I'd love to hear more about it.

If you are in america, all sorts of different service dog training places exist, and self training is allowed. Generally it takes between one year to two and a half years depending on the ability of the dog and disability it is being trained for.

In other places, like the uk, it is more restrictive.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 9:21 am

Hi, Wozeree

Congratulations on your service dog!

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 6:52 am

I would love to have an Autism service dog! Unfortunately in my country of Canada the waiting list is extraordinarily long and they require 2 years of training to be certified officially but I'm consulting a lawyer on ways to get around this while at the same time having a service dog I can take anywhere I go.

One such outfit goes by the name of BC and Alberta Guide Dogs but they primarily supply Autism service dogs for younger children. Apparently the stigma of Autism being a childhood ailment still prevails with most companies that supply Autism service dogs. Unfortunately.

I've heard that there is a way to simply go out and buy yourself a yellow lab, which in the marketplace is the prevailingly superior dog breed for Autism service dogs, and get the certification from the government directly and training them yourself. Then all that you would need is your disability card and the typical blue vest on the dog and you should be able to go anywhere you want with him/her. That's the theory anyways.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)