Modern living and very/extremely intelligent people

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 11:09 am

Why is it when you go on a range of internet forums and the topic of IQ is raised there is a veritable plethora of people rushing to proclaim IQs of 140/150/160+? . Has modern living created a society choc a bloc with very/extremely intelligent people ? If so it would seem the Flynn effect has been much greater than previously imagined.

One could readily think 110 is the new intellectually challenged.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 12:55 pm

My best guess is its just lots of people taking online IQ tests and thinking they are valid. I have never heard of anyone taking a real IQ test here in the UK.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 3:28 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Why is it when you go on a range of internet forums and the topic of IQ is raised there is a veritable plethora of people rushing to proclaim IQs of 140/150/160+? . Has modern living created a society choc a bloc with very/extremely intelligent people ? If so it would seem the Flynn effect has been much greater than previously imagined.

One could readily think 110 is the new intellectually challenged.

Even if you assume that all of those 160 IQ people are telling the truth...

you're in a public forum- the subject of IQ comes up- how many folks are gonna boast about having a two digit IQ?

The folks who have a score to boast about are gonna be the ones doing most of the boasting and making the most noise per capita. Those in the mediocre range are gonna usually keep their mouths shut, and those lower down than mediocre are gonna be too illiterate to even use an internet forum, and not even be present for the discussion. So of course the sound and the fury is all be skewed to coming from those on the high end. So that's why it always LOOKS like there is a higher population of geniuses than there really is when that subject comes up.

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

15 May 2018, 3:45 pm

There was that old saying that those who boast about their high IQ are more propably the morons.

Anyways there are about 330 to 360 million (360000000 , I hope that is correct? )who are native English speakers(let's ignore the rest of the world, and let's hypothesize the ones who had their IQ calculated also have access to the internet),
According to this site https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx
there is one person with an IQ of 160 for every 11,307 people...it is rare but for the overpopulous world we live in there's still a lot of them.