Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 3:39 pm

What can you do independently (with no assistance) and what do you need direct assistance with?

DocteurDEVO7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2018, 8:14 pm

I can do about everything without assistance. Drive, getting a job (I start my first day Saturday) etc etc.. I do lack common sense though sometimes and that can cause some minor social issues. Only "assistance" I guess would be I need people to be very direct with me. Curious to hear if others have that issue too?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 12:06 am

Aside from official paper work like dealing with taxes... nothing? I mean I need help from time to time with different things, but can handle my everyday life pretty much on my own.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 8:53 am

livingwithautism wrote:
What can you do independently (with no assistance) and what do you need direct assistance with?

I can keep a job even if I can't get one, (my father's friend got me my current job). I can drive to work, manage my finances and keep a marriage together, though I get help from my better half with that last one. I can't conduct home repairs to save my life though, so I need help there. Taxes are also a challenge.

What about you?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 9:12 am

Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

I can keep a job even if I can't get one, (my father's friend got me my current job). I can drive to work, manage my finances and keep a marriage together, though I get help from my better half with that last one. I can't conduct home repairs to save my life though, so I need help there. Taxes are also a challenge.

What about you?

I live with my parents, don’t work, can’t go anywhere alone, can’t even handle my SSI checks, I don’t have a boyfriend, I can’t drive, I need help with some activities of daily living.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 9:42 am

livingwithautism wrote:

I live with my parents, don’t work, can’t go anywhere alone, can’t even handle my SSI checks, I don’t have a boyfriend, I can’t drive, I need help with some activities of daily living.

Yet you have youtube videos up. That may not be so special, but it's not like I can do it.

The best advice I ever heard for us autistic people is to be really good at one thing. Is there one thing you can think of that you are good at?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:10 am

I don't really know yet. I'm determined to live on my own, though my memory causes me problems. I can just barely take care of my self care skills. I'm not driving yet, but I seem to be okay so far, except trying to train myself not to stare at things in the road. I have trouble with even basic math- yesterday I bought something for 2.00$ and two things for .50$ and counted it as four dollars in total, and the cashier had to correct me. I cannot do school work math on my own, I need help.

So yeah, at 16 I don't know and it's kinda borderline.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:23 am

livingwithautism wrote:

Ditto, except for the ssi. which still a few months away. ten years from now, most likely nothing will have changed.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:41 am

Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Yet you have youtube videos up. That may not be so special, but it's not like I can do it.

The best advice I ever heard for us autistic people is to be really good at one thing. Is there one thing you can think of that you are good at?

So because I have YouTube videos up that somehow makes me better than you? Have you even seen some of the terrible videos out there? Literally anyone with a camera and a computer could make YouTube videos. Don't use that to discount my level of disability. There are some things I'm good at. YouTube isn't one of them. Have you noticed I've only got 2 subscribers?

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 5:48 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

So because I have YouTube videos up that somehow makes me better than you? Have you even seen some of the terrible videos out there? Literally anyone with a camera and a computer could make YouTube videos. Don't use that to discount my level of disability. There are some things I'm good at. YouTube isn't one of them. Have you noticed I've only got 2 subscribers?

Pretty sure they're not trying to 'discount [your] level of disability' - they're trying to remind you that there is something you can do. Could be wrong, but it sounds like they are encouraging you.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 6:21 pm

FandomConnection wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Pretty sure they're not trying to 'discount [your] level of disability' - they're trying to remind you that there is something you can do. Could be wrong, but it sounds like they are encouraging you.

I didn't take it as them trying to discount my level of disability. I just didn't like being compared to someone else.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 7:12 pm

(this post was edited. Come on give me a break. I don't always say the right thing on the first try ok?)

Fandom is right. I am trying to be encouraging, and to give advice. May I?

livingwithautism wrote:
...better...

That's...complicated, and a subject for another thread. Suffice to say for now my brain is a rat nest and that word conjurers all kinds of contradictory feelings.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 7:21 pm

Arevelion wrote:
(this post was edited. Come on give me a break. I don't always say the right thing on the first try ok?)

livingwithautism wrote:
...better...

That's...complicated, and a subject for another thread. Suffice to say for now my brain is a rat nest and that word conjurers all kinds of contradictory feelings.

Sure

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2018, 9:43 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:

livingwithautism wrote:
...better...

Sure

Specialize. I have been learning to specialize in day trading, so I can pay others to do the things I am bad at, which is important, as there are many things I am bad at.

I don't know you well enough to say what you could specialize in, assuming you decide to take this advice, only that I find day trading much to be much easier than making youtube vidoes :D

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:

livingwithautism wrote:
...better...

Sure

Specialize. I have been learning to specialize in day trading, so I can pay others to do the things I am bad at, which is important, as there are many things I am bad at.

I don't know you well enough to say what you could specialize in, assuming you decide to take this advice, only that I find day trading much to be much easier than making youtube vidoes :D

There’s a reason I haven’t made too many. I’m not sure what I could specialize in. I’m severely disabled and rely on SSI, Medicaid, and Food Stamps. Even the things I’m good at I can’t do much of because of the nature of my impairments.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 7:48 am

livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
Arevelion wrote:

livingwithautism wrote:
...better...

Sure

There’s a reason I haven’t made too many. I’m not sure what I could specialize in. I’m severely disabled and rely on SSI, Medicaid, and Food Stamps. Even the things I’m good at I can’t do much of because of the nature of my impairments.

Would you be able to write blogs?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia