Does Anyone Care About the Royal Wedding?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:53 am

Headphones on enjoying some Can and Holger Czukay!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:07 am

Sandpiper wrote:
ChefDave wrote:
I can understand why the Brits are excited

I can't.

Thread winner! :D

I live in the commonwealth. I haven't heard anyone say a word about it. Not one word. No one here really cares about the British Royal Family - especially if you're under the age of 75/80+. My grandmother's generation cared more.. I suppose because there used to be more ties to the Crown than there are now. Also, I think for many of them, the Royal Family was their great big celebrity crush or something.. whereas younger generations have a plethora of celebrities to choose from if they're going to care about any of those things.

This is the best take on it right here:
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/05/su ... ssistance/

The Beaverton wrote:
Suits actor Meghan Markle to marry man living off government assistance
1 WEEK AGO by CALLUM WRATTEN

Photo Credit

WESTMINSTER – Actress Meghan Markle, who is best known from the television series Suits, is engaged to Henry Charles Albert David who, along with many of his family, is living on government assistance.

Henry Charles Albert David, who has no disability or other issue preventing him from participating in the workforce, receives along with his family about 45 million pounds annually from the British government. It is hoped that Markle will be a role model for a family that has been stuck in a cycle of welfare dependence for many years.

“There’s just no way I could keep my job,” said Henry Charles Albert David. “It’s very important for the fifth in line to a ceremonial position to not have a job. It’s tough for me, but it is even harder for my brother. I don’t know how he manages to raise two kids with only his welfare checks.”

Although many believe that a culture of welfare dependence has prevented the family from being gainfully employed, others point to the low societal expectation as the root cause. “They have been celebrated so much for not doing anything,” reported social work professor Gary Davvid. “It’s not healthy for the family or society as a whole.”

“Henry Charles Albert David assists in a number of charitable endeavors,” said family friend Clarissa Patro. “Which is good, because no one with a job has ever been able to volunteer for a charity.”

Markle’s soon-to-be husband and his family claim their government assistance not under a traditional social welfare model, but rather something called “Monarchy”. The system pre-dates democracy, widespread literacy, or soap.

At press time Prince Phillip said something very racist.

SEE MORE: GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE, MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY, PRINCE PHILLIP, ROYAL WEDDING, SUITS

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 2:17 am

I watched 5 mins of highlights since it came across my yt dashboard. I liked the vintage cars. The queen was wearing some dayglow outfit which I found amusing.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:41 am

goldfish21 wrote:

:lmao:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Sandpiper wrote:
ChefDave wrote:
I can understand why the Brits are excited

I can't.

Thread winner! :D

I live in the commonwealth. I haven't heard anyone say a word about it. Not one word. No one here really cares about the British Royal Family - especially if you're under the age of 75/80+. My grandmother's generation cared more.. I suppose because there used to be more ties to the Crown than there are now. Also, I think for many of them, the Royal Family was their great big celebrity crush or something.. whereas younger generations have a plethora of celebrities to choose from if they're going to care about any of those things.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/05/su ... ssistance/

The Beaverton wrote:
Suits actor Meghan Markle to marry man living off government assistance
1 WEEK AGO by CALLUM WRATTEN

Photo Credit

WESTMINSTER – Actress Meghan Markle, who is best known from the television series Suits, is engaged to Henry Charles Albert David who, along with many of his family, is living on government assistance.

Henry Charles Albert David, who has no disability or other issue preventing him from participating in the workforce, receives along with his family about 45 million pounds annually from the British government. It is hoped that Markle will be a role model for a family that has been stuck in a cycle of welfare dependence for many years.

“There’s just no way I could keep my job,” said Henry Charles Albert David. “It’s very important for the fifth in line to a ceremonial position to not have a job. It’s tough for me, but it is even harder for my brother. I don’t know how he manages to raise two kids with only his welfare checks.”

Although many believe that a culture of welfare dependence has prevented the family from being gainfully employed, others point to the low societal expectation as the root cause. “They have been celebrated so much for not doing anything,” reported social work professor Gary Davvid. “It’s not healthy for the family or society as a whole.”

“Henry Charles Albert David assists in a number of charitable endeavors,” said family friend Clarissa Patro. “Which is good, because no one with a job has ever been able to volunteer for a charity.”

Markle’s soon-to-be husband and his family claim their government assistance not under a traditional social welfare model, but rather something called “Monarchy”. The system pre-dates democracy, widespread literacy, or soap.

At press time Prince Phillip said something very racist.

SEE MORE: GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE, MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY, PRINCE PHILLIP, ROYAL WEDDING, SUITS
The money is an allowance that is given in exchange for a whole load of estates whose income was their's. The income from those estates was agreed with Charles II in order to get him to take on the job. This point is always overlooked. It is not paid by tax payers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:30 pm

My family and I did watch the wedding not because we were anticipating the festivities, but because there was nothing better to watch, so we watched a prerecorded version that was broadcasted on PBS.

We did agree about the following (including, but not limited to) as we were watching it:

-Camilla did not look very happy to be there because whenever the cameras got a look at her, she was usually looking away from anyone who was sitting near her, including Charles and Kate.

-There were obviously more Americans present, not just George Clooney and his wife.

-William did deserve some credit for making sure Harry did not panic at the last minute by doing the "Big Brother Act."

-Charles managed to keep his composure when he walked Megan Markle down the aisle.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:38 pm

Who cares? The USA haven’t been part of the British Commonwealth in almost 250 years.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:33 am

I watched the Royal Wedding. :oops:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 2:21 am

29 million people in US tuned into the royal wedding

Quote:
Move over, "The Bachelor." The royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle -- now the duke and duchess of Sussex -- was a huge ratings draw.

In the US, about 29 million people tuned in on Saturday morning, according to Nielsen's total of the 15 channels that showed the wedding.

Some viewers awoke at 4 or 5 a.m. ET to watch the arrivals. But the ceremony officially started at 7 a.m., so that's what the 29 million figure measures.

Between 6 and 9 a.m. ET, including the arrivals and the procession afterward, NBC averaged 6.4 million viewers, ABC averaged 6.3 million, and CBS had 4.8 million. On cable, Fox News had 1.9 million, CNN had 1.8 million and MSNBC had 1 million viewers.

Nielsen said the official average for Harry and Meghan was 29.2 million, but that only counts people watching on TV at home. An unknown number streamed the wedding on mobile devices.

There was strong interest later in the day, as well. Cable news ratings remained high all day long. CNN rebroadcast the wedding in prime time and averaged 1.6 million viewers, out-rating Fox and MSNBC.

Nielsen said the official average for Harry and Meghan was 29.2 million, but that only counts people watching on TV at home. An unknown number streamed the wedding on mobile devices.

There was strong interest later in the day, as well. Cable news ratings remained high all day long. CNN rebroadcast the wedding in prime time and averaged 1.6 million viewers, out-rating Fox and MSNBC.

Saturday's festivities averaged 18 million viewers.
Still, it was "by far the biggest television event of the year" in the UK, The Guardian reported.
The UK has a total population of about 66 million.

These do not take into consideration those that recordered it an watched it later in the US because they did not feel like getting up so early on a Saturday morning.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 4:21 am

I just realized it will be a long time before the next royal wedding :cry:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:02 pm

Not one bit.

It's an antiquated system that needs to be over and done with.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:20 pm

I couldn't give the proverbial monkey's. Apart from the fact that I am Irish and have no loyalty to Britain despite being British on the maternal side, privilege by birthright is just wrong on every level. At least the Government is elected and if one doesn't like their act, one can vote them out.

The Royals can 'go hifreann leat' as far as I'm concerned.

Michael Bone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2018, 9:59 am

I don't care about celebrities, why should I care about royalty? It's like how the Pope rides around in a little golf cart wearing a big goofy hat, no one cares about theocracies or monarchies anymore.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:28 am

I was out all day Saturday so I didn't get a chance to watch the royal wedding. Does anyone know where I can watch highlights of it? I went on Youtube but there's mostly only slideshows of images, and I'd rather see actual videos of the live wedding.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
I was out all day Saturday so I didn't get a chance to watch the royal wedding. Does anyone know where I can watch highlights of it? I went on Youtube but there's mostly only slideshows of images, and I'd rather see actual videos of the live wedding.

There are DVD's being sold of the whole thing.

Highlights youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp-8XaFf93M

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 1:04 pm

The wedding would not sit comfortably with my beliefs as I am an anarchist.