Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 6:39 pm

I totally understand why so many people love ants. They are like miniature centurions. :twisted:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 2:06 pm

I also like caddisflies.

I like how the larvae breathe through gills and build cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddisfly

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 11:12 am

I enjoy most of them,watching dragonflies on the pond,seeing a mantis in the garden,butterflies in the flowers,the hum of bees,unusual moths around the porch light,spiders in the web and dewdrops on the webs.
Don’t care about ticks,biting gnats,skeeters or squash bugs.

Orion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2018, 12:00 pm

Giant Weta's are awesome. They look pretty scary but aren't very aggressive, they have pinchers but those are usually pretty weak depending on the type of Giant Weta.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 11:30 pm

Saw a nice, big June bug the other morning, and we've been having tons of stink bugs in the house.

I've always been told that they stink really bad, but I have never once experienced it for myself.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 12:24 am

I love arthropods of all kinds, but if I have to choose just one kind, it would be mantids. I also love holding giant millipedes - watching and feeling the motion of their legs is very soothing to me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 11:48 am

I've had a fascination with beetles. My favorite beetle is a rhinoceros beetle.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 6:24 am

I've always found water striders to be incredibly fascinating. Because of the square/cube law, they can travel across the surface of water without breaking the surface tension. They also have hairs on their feet which repel water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerridae

Although these bugs look graceful, they are predators who will attack any bug who lands on the water. With their legs, they can feel the ripples in the water made by a struggling insect. The water strider kills and devours its prey using a sharp proboscis.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

Yes, water striders are cool. I always liked water beetles, we would get a lot of them in the puddles, when the campground flooded (which was pretty often).

One time, I caught some and kept them in a jar with minnows...and the minnows did not live very long, whoops.

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2018, 2:09 pm

Lovely, lovely ladybirds - all green grass, blue skies and daisy chains associations. Hmm, and just as I write that a Gothic castle high up on a cliff pops into view...

arterie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2018, 4:26 pm

Melipona beecheii, stingless bees that make really great honey. Tetragonisca angustula stingless and very tiny make honey and are very fun to observe.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

This timid fellow snuck into the house the other night!

At first I thought it was a small bat, or a really big monarch butterfly, but it turns out to be an underwing moth.

It might be a Catocala meskei. You can't really see it in the photo, but I don't recognize the distinct brown banding that Catocala amestris has, so I don't think it's that (which is endangered and legally protected).

We have a lot of bats in the area, so I hope it didn't become a snack after I let it go =( It says they have good hearing organs to help avoid them.

NotAnEvilRobot

19 Sep 2018, 2:59 am

I think tiger beetles, dragonflies, and robber flies are pretty cool. Jumping spiders are also pretty interesting, but my favorites are probably ants. I remember when a local museum had an exhibit dedicated to army ant colonies, and that was pretty intriguing. Now that I think about it, the trap jaw ants of the genus Odontomachus are pretty cool, with their propulsion and expelling of enemies just by closing their mouths being fascinating.

"As buds give rise by growth to fresh buds...so by generation I believe it has been with the great Tree of Life, which fills with its dead and broken branches the crust of the earth, and covers the surface with its ever branching and beautiful ramifications." - Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 1:36 pm

Monarch Butterfly
Luna Moth
Walking Sticks

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:24 pm

I accidentally disturbed a praying mantis at work today. It was brown, but it had some green underneath its wings, as if it were trying to match the foliage.

I carried him over to the other side of the parking lot, so it could climb in the trees.

hifiveghost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2018, 7:25 pm

I find phasmids (aka stick-bugs or walking sticks) to be very interesting. I also like cockroaches (specifically the Central American Giant Cave cockroach) because of the absence of hemoglobin in their blood. Ants are cool, too, because of their cooperative behavior, supercolonies, and how consumed aspartame affects their brain function.