From Sedentary & Unemployed To Full-Time Work

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:00 am

I very recently acquired my first ever full-time employment assembling wheelbarrows and I'm finding that by the end of the day I'm quite worn-out. I've gone straight from lying in bed/sitting all day to standing and doing manual work for the better part of 8 hours. By the time I get home I'm absolutely exhausted and flop straight onto my bed. I started work on Wednesday, so I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to expect that over a few weeks I'll become accustomed to working at the capacity I am. Everyone I've talked to thus far who works has indicated that that's a reasonable expectation to have. What do you think?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:12 am

Yeah, you should adjust within two to three weeks, just get enough sleep and don't start skipping proper meals :)

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 1:43 pm

I started work in a bakery and am exhausted, too. The first week I pretty much worked and slept, but I'm still getting used to it. I think it's likely to always be a bit sore after a long shift, but that energy for other things will come back after you get used to it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2018, 5:55 am

I spent most of my time at home on computer all day when I started my 1st job which was a dish-washer & I was working 6 or more hours a day 5 days a week. I was on my feet pretty much the whole time I was at work. It was hard at 1st but I adjusted after abit. It will take some time thou but like domineekee said, try to get plenty sleep & eat enough. Also try to relax alittle & do something fun or at least relaxing on your off days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 9:38 pm

my first job was a 12 hour shift in manual work which involved heavy lifting (25kg), pushing trolleys/cages, transporting waste onto conveyor belts, I would have stayed but they were very stringent on their deadlines, like if I was too slow they would notice further down the line, and once it was obvious that I was struggling they let me go, to be fair I was only given short breaks (not enough time for a full lunch) and lived considerable distance away. Yet with all these things I had to go through, people still say thats how all jobs are like whatever shape or form.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2018, 7:54 am

I absolutely gets better with time, your body doesn't have the endurance required to work that long. I went from unemployed for the better part of 6 months to a full time office job. Even this was exhausting work for awhile. After a few weeks you'll feel better, a few months and you'll hardly notice.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2018, 8:47 am

I've worked part time, full time and even 80 hour weeks. I got used to the physical loads of any and all jobs.

What I never got used to was the diminished 'me' time. I hated getting up at 6.30 in the morning to prepare for work and ending at 8.30 pm after shower, food, washing dishes, etc. That left a couple of hours of me time that I usually waisted until bed.

Rinse repeat.