Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:29 pm

Can you give me some examples of what the average person would consider too be there 'territory'?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:31 pm

their home

body

car maybe, really any piece of land they own

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 6:49 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
their home

body

car maybe, really any piece of land they own

its more complicated than that because i tumbled on someones territory without realising it.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 7:14 pm

That could have many different meanings. In no particular order, here's some I can think of...

Real places...
- The country/county/town etc. which a person identifies as their home town, homeland or nation.
- An area of town where their community or family which they belong to lives.
- An area which a gang they belong to claims as its own.
- An area that they cover as part of their job (e.g. delivery driver).
- Land or property that they own or make their money from (e.g. farmer or landlord).
- The area where they know the streets well enough to never feel lost or out of place.
- The place that is their private home, even if it's not actually owned by them (i.e. rented or leased.)
- A particular room in their home where they can get privacy from the other people who live there.
- Inside their car, at their allotment, favourite fishing spot, etc...
- An area around their body far enough from other people so that they don't feel frightened or uncomfortably intimate.

Metaphorically...
- An area of knowledge or skill in which they think they are very accomplished (e.g. "Ah, a science question, just my territory.")
- The parts of their life and thoughts that they consider private rather than public.
- Other people who they feel they have the right to dominate (e.g boss -> workers, gang leader -> gang members.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 7:04 am

Someone's personal space is their territory. I have a larger territory than most North Americans, but most people don't realize that because North Americans love to get so close together.