Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 8:41 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Another dinosaur that I like is Hesperornis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperornis

Hesperornis is often considered to be a bird. Even that Wikipedia article describes it as a bird. Despite this, scholarly sources (including the ones cited by Wikipedia) make it very clear that this animal was not part of crown group Aves. It was part of the stem leading to birds, though this does not make it a bird. People should call this creature a birdlike feathered dinosaur in my opinion. We only call this thing a bird because some people still don't want to see the evolutionary connection between bird and dinosaur. If we are going to call Hesperornis a bird, then we need a stricter and more scientifically rigorous definition of what is and is not a bird.

Anyways, Hesperornis was convergently similar to penguins. Even among feathered dinosaurs, there was tremendous diversity.

The Hesperornithes clade went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous, along with other non-bird dinosaurs. In other words, there were some dinosaurs that were very close to birds on the tree of life, but still didn't make the cut.

That's a fav fossil of mine. Always thought of it as a bird. And it does seem to have been part of the rival branch of fully evolved birds (there were two, the modern birds all descend from one branch the other were quite modern looking but all died out) that outwardly looked like modern birds but had teeth in their bills. The creature does seem to have had vestigial wings. So it may have had flying ancestors, but dropped flight to specialize in aquatic living. If so then it could be said to be a "bird". But all birds,even living ones, are a subset of dinosaurs. It was discovered and classified before the modern notion of "birds-are-dinosaurs" came to be mainstream. So even if it is a bird its a dinosaur.

Anyway. It was a large human sized creature that probably looked like an overgrown loon, or grebe, or comorant (modern fresh water diving birds with long necks). Because it was feathered it must have been warm blooded and could probably survive in high latitudes such as ...Scotland. If a big human sized version of a loon with little teeth in its bills were to be seen today, perhaps in a lake like perhaps Loch Ness, it could easily be mistaken for the Loch Ness Monster. So that's was a pet theory of mine for awhile. That the monster is really a surviving population of Hesperonis. :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

Stegosaurus was always my favorite.

My favorite fossil is Archelon:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Utahraptor25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2019, 12:41 pm

Utahraptor, meaning Utah theif. it was over twenty feet long, and was slightly larger than the velociraptors portrayed in Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park was created before its discoverery. The thought of huge dromeosaurs running around and hunting bigger dinosaurs is amazing.
Another favorite is spinosaurus.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 8:15 pm

I have never had a favourite dinosaur. However, I when I see a dragonfly on a fern, I reflect that the first dinos also saw that.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 10:41 pm

One of my favorite dinosaurs has always been Ankylosaurus, but I also like the Carnotaurus.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 8:13 am

WP's own Isabelle-Linton because she is a "Bronte- saurus". :D

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 11:39 pm

I always liked the Allosaurus for some reason.

I actually like prehistoric mammals more than dinosaurs. Favorite of those is the Woolly Mammoth.