Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 1:09 am

Pop.Earth wellness programs for people with autism

Quote:
On a Tuesday morning, Chef Franklin Becker led an Italian cooking class at the restaurant Cena 081 in Westbury, Long Island. But it was with a different group than the celebrity chef works with most days.

"Take the edge at the side of the bowl, crack it and drop it in," Becker explained as he demonstrated how to crack eggs to the rapt audience.

The 30 or so adults who followed along all have autism or other developmental disorders. Becker, who is behind restaurants including The Little Beet and Catch, is intimately familiar with this population because he has teenage son with autism.

"One thing we saw as we were working with the kids was, if they got to see the ingredients from the beginning, and they got to handle them and be a part of it they were much more enthusiastic about trying different food," Becker explained of the concept behind the workshop Eat-Able.

It's one of many program offerings from the Long Island-based non-profit Pop.Earth of which Becker is board chair.

Pop.Earth also offers dance, art, music and "Om for Autism" yoga workshops. Most sessions cost $10 or less.

"If you can't afford to attend our programs we offer a pay-it-forward program, where you as a parent, you can come and volunteer and your child can still attend the program," Stone said.

Pop.Earth serves about 500 individuals a week through their programs in New York, New Jersey and Colorado. They plan to expand to Florida next.

Astachovsky said the benefits of Pop.Earth's programs go far beyond just giving participants something to do.

"They improve their sleeping patterns, their eating habits, their internal coping skills and strategies, they're more socially interactive and they're happy, they're happy!" she said.

Participants can attest to that.

Charles Westoff, 22, attended Chef Becker's Eat-Able workshop, his first Pop.Earth event.

"We tried different stuff, we made rice balls and I tried it for the first time," Westhoff said. "It's fun, you get to meet new people and interact."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 May 2018, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 1:41 am

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing.

All children, but especially autistic ones, should learn to independently cook from scratch from an early age in my opinion. I am always slightly horrified that restrictions have less to do with children's capacities and abilities and more to do with concerns about any resulting mess. I feel like saying: "So you think tidying up a bit of spilt flour or egg is worth restricting your child's ability to start caring for themselves?" Every day you are depriving them of a possible skill set that could be extra important for them in the future with all the additional challenges of trying to provide good "self-care" as an autistic adult. Time to rethink priorities.