Test about reading colours printed in wrong colour

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:22 pm

Here's a link to a test about the Stroop Effect. The Stroop Effect refers to how it's harder to read the word for a colour if its colour does not match its text:
http://opencoglab.org/stroop/

I'm particularly interested in how people with Synesthesia score on this (and I know there are at least a few here). I'm curious whether constantly seeing colours with everything will make the test easier, since you're used to dealing with stuff like this, or whether it will make the test harder since it's even more colour input to have to disambiguate.

For me (I don't have Synesthesia), my median response time when the colour matched as 1004 milliseconds. When the colour didn't match, my median response time was 2088 milliseconds. So it more the doubled for me, and slowed down by more that a full second. Apparently most people slow down by about 400 milliseconds.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:32 pm

When the color of the word matched, your median response time was 1116 milliseconds.
When the color of the word did not match, your median response time was 1432 milliseconds.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:33 pm

maybe it is relevant to notice that english isn't my native language

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2018, 8:38 pm

Thanks for pointing to the test. I'm autistic, a pattern thinker, and have some synesthesias (colors all have meanings to me) and sensory processing disorder. My results were:
When the color of the word matched, your median response time was 1062 milliseconds.
When the color of the word did not match, your median response time was 1161 milliseconds.

Maybe I was less affected by what the letters of the word spelled than average because I recognize colors immediately while it takes me time to translate words (printed or spoken) into the internal patterns that make sense to me (I don't think in words). So I react to the color of the print a lot faster than I react to the meaning of the spelled word.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 8:23 pm

Shameless bump?

I wouldn't mind seeing how a few more people do, regardless of whether you have synesthesia or any other condition.