Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Acewitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2018, 10:43 pm

Hi. So, uh, as the subject says... I'm new to the site... and a little relatively new to the asd community. I mean, I've been in it for about a year or so, but... yeah. I'm self-diagnosed and super nervous about... all things.

I love musicals. CATS, Avenue Q, Little Shop of Horrors, Dear Evan Hansen... and I'm always ready to find a new one.
Love the concept of playing video games, but so rarely actually finish one on my own.
Love analyzing tv shows, stories, fairy tales, advertisements, things of the like.
Drawing is fun.
Five Nights at Freddy's is currently my life!

So yeah! I'm fairly comfortable and sure in my self-diagnosis, but have my bouts of doubt. Lots of panicked midnight research. And... I'd just kinda like to make some friends... or at least acquaintances on the spectrum...
People to relate to and share experiences with. Or, yaknow, maybe just talk about fandom stuff! Always fun!

If anyone ever wants to reply or even PM me, don't hesitate! It'd be awesome!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 12:23 am

Technically it's a rock opera and not a musical, but I really like Jesus Christ Superstar (my fav is the original with Ian Gillan), as well as Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I think the last musical I watched might've been The Wicker Man, for May Day.

...yes, the Wicker Man is a musical o_O I enjoyed it a bit more the second time than I did the first. It's definitely a strange film.

Actually now that I think about it, I was watching part of the New York version of Lestat not too long ago. I wish that one hadn't flopped so hard, because I like it a lot. The only way to enjoy it now is with crummy bootlegs of the chopped-up rewrite version, a demo CD of Elton John singing all of the parts, and a "press preview" disc with a few of the songs on it and a few tiny snippets of dialogue. (sorry, sometimes I rant)

Acewitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2018, 2:56 am

No way that rant was awesome, Sabbrecadabra!!
I love joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat SO MUCH and ive been meaning to watch jesus christ superstar. I’ve seen a review of thhe wicker man musical, but still havent gotten to watch it myself.

Hmmmm my current favorite is little shop of horrors, but CATS will always hold a special place in my heart because its been in my life since i was 2.

I’m sorry about Lestat! It’s kinda like how I’ve been desperately trying to find a bootleg of Be More Chill, but all i cam find is snippets of a cast recording and animatics for a bunch of the songs. Dont get me wrong, a full animated movie version of it would be great. But I’d like to see it on stage somehow.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 3:59 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

purpleclad
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2018, 8:21 pm

Welcome to WP!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 9:48 pm

Acewitch wrote:
I love joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat SO MUCH and ive been meaning to watch jesus christ superstar.

I've seen Joseph on stage before, but I haven't seen the movie version yet. JCS, obviously, isn't quite as happy, since half of it is Jesus being persecuted, but it's still really good, and you should recognize a few of the musical cues from Joseph.

The movie is filmed really well, all in the ruins of Israel, by the same director as Fiddler on the Roof (Normal Jewison).

I prefer to listen to the original concept recording though. Ian Gillan of Deep Purple plays Jesus in it, and I think he may have set the bar just a little too high :oops:

Quote:
I’ve seen a review of thhe wicker man musical, but still havent gotten to watch it myself.

I was talking about the original movie from 1973, I don't know if there's a stage musical or not. If there isn't, someone should probably make one.

...they would probably have to tone down the nudity, though =)

Quote:
Hmmmm my current favorite is little shop of horrors...

I like Little Shop, too. It's got that weird "80s music pretending to be 50s music" thing going on, and I've always liked that. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was like that, too. A lot of popular rock'n'roll artists went back and re-recorded their greatest hits in the 80s, my favorite is probably the one Roy Orbison did.

Quote:
I’m sorry about Lestat! It’s kinda like how I’ve been desperately trying to find a bootleg of Be More Chill, but all i cam find is snippets of a cast recording and animatics for a bunch of the songs.

Yeah, it's kind of like that =/ Oh! I also found a bunch of clips of a Russian version, with females playing...every role? =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYh0PCWJENk (something is wrong with Lestat's mic)

Oh, they have the whole thing in two parts here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIGgLg9SV0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSPJhQWGFAU

Acewitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2018, 10:20 pm

OMG sabbracadabra! thank you for the links!
I'm gettng surgery soon, so having so new watching material is awesome.
And I was also talking about the movie of Wicker Man. I just said "musical" to mean that I understood that you were talking about the first movie and not the Nicholas Cage remake. But if there isn't a stage musical, that needs to happen immediately.

Have you ever seen The Devil's Carnival? It's a pretty short, fun movie musical.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 12:15 am

Acewitch wrote:
OMG sabbracadabra! thank you for the links!

Yuck, surgery =( Good luck, I don't think there are any subtitles for the videos =)

I was just thinking, I bet there's a script or two out there somewhere, I could read it while I listen to one of the other versions.

Quote:
And I was also talking about the movie of Wicker Man. I just said "musical" to mean that I understood that you were talking about the first movie and not the Nicholas Cage remake.

Ohhh, okay. Yeah, the remake is definitely not a musical. It's also not as terrible as I thought it would be...I feel like Nic's crazy acting just makes it even more of a spectacle.

There's also a sequel called The Wicker Tree, which is interesting. I don't remember it having a lot of music, though.

Quote:
Have you ever seen The Devil's Carnival? It's a pretty short, fun movie musical.

Yes! I did see it once, but I don't remember most of it. I've seen Repo a few times, too.

I just had to look it up, and I didn't know there was a sequel already. And it stars Ted Neely from JCS o_O

And this sounds pretty interesting, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Murder_Song

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 4:48 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I just had to look it up, and I didn't know there was a sequel already.

The movie came in the mail today, and we had ourselves a little double-feature of The Devil's Carnival. I don't know if you're still lurking, but the second movie (Alleluia!) is really, really good.