Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 9:39 am

I feel like watching a movie is something you enjoy and get lost in, not a time to be social. Not keen on it when people go on their phones also the light is really distracting for me, its like they aren't interested in the movie, if they want to go on their phones they shouldn't have gone to the movie or wait.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 12:15 pm

I don't go to cinema. I watch movies at home. It's much cheaper, and no need to go home afterwards, and no one in front of me preventing my view.

So, I don't go, period.

But I too find it distracting if someone is doing another activity when I watch. Or when someone says "isn't that x from the movie y or series z?" It distracts me from paying attention to the story (the only part of the movie that interests me) and is very annoying.

I also like to watch with lights really down.
If someone lights a lamp, it can distract me from the movie for a short while until I get used to it being on

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

NorwichGeorge
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2018, 1:01 pm

I love going to the cinema on my own. I get to see what I want to see and can just lose myself in the film. I like going with other people as well but it is different and going to the cinema on my own is one of my favourite activities.

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 2:45 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't go to cinema. I watch movies at home. It's much cheaper, and no need to go home afterwards, and no one in front of me preventing my view.

So, I don't go, period.

But I too find it distracting if someone is doing another activity when I watch. Or when someone says "isn't that x from the movie y or series z?" It distracts me from paying attention to the story (the only part of the movie that interests me) and is very annoying.

I also like to watch with lights really down.
If someone lights a lamp, it can distract me from the movie for a short while until I get used to it being on

That is exactly how I'm like when watching something, if actors have been in something else that isnt interesting to me while I watch it, for example I watched planet of the apes and just liked the story and characters.
If I wanted to know what else the actors are on I can google it later.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 2:52 pm

I rarely go to cinema at all and i could care less about most movies. The sound level cinemas set is always too loud for me so it's frustrating/tiring. Also, the most recent movies focus the camera on faces (10 meters long faces...), leaving the background blurry. For me - who usually focuses on the surroundings more than people - it's boring.

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2018, 2:57 pm

I've been going to movies alone for a few years now. At first I felt a little self conscious, but now it's like second nature.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 11:12 am

I do occasionally, if it’s a movie that I really want to see, but nobody else has the time or wants to see it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 1:38 pm

When I was young I used to go to the cinema alone. I loved watching movies and didn`t have many people to go out with. I remember it as cheaper to go to the movies back then then it seems now. It seemed like a much better option to watch a movie in a cinema rather then on the tv with those movie boxes and VHS cassettes we rented back then. Going to the movies wouldn`t cost much more than renting this box and the movie, and of course it took a long time before a new movie came out on VHS for rent so..
So I begun going alone and found out that it worked for me. I could just help my self to the experience.
I don`t anymore. Today movies have become very accessible for home viewing and to be honest, as I am getting older, I realize that I prefer that.
But I still like to go see movies in the cinema together with someone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:42 pm

I haven't got the confidence to go to the cinema on my own. I keep thinking people might take the piss. I've had a young couple laughing at me before throughout a whole movie, but I wasn't on my own. I was with a boy I used to date who was autistic. The whole time these two a***holes kept looking at us and snickering, and it was very distracting and made me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. I don't understand why they paid money to get into the cinema only to sit there laughing at people. But I've often seen stupid teens and youngsters in cinemas who seem to act like pricks, and I cannot enjoy a film if I'm distracted or feeling uncomfortable. My social anxiety decreases a lot when I'm with others.

I do go shopping alone, but I see so many people shopping alone, but I don't often see people watching a film at the cinema on their own.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:59 pm

About 15 years ago, I used to go on my own every few weeks to the Cineworld cinema in Wood Green Shopping City, North London. It was cheap (about £3 for a ticket in the afternoon), and I could load up on sweets and chocolate at the Pic 'N' Mix in Woolworth's (also in the Shopping City). Then Cineworld's prices began to shoot up (currently about 300% higher, apparently), Woolworth's went bust, and I left London. Haven't been to the cinema, alone or otherwise, for about 10 years.

I also have the feeling that today's films are so awful that I wouldn't bother to watch them even if it were free. They weren't much good even 15 years ago.....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 9:42 am

Most of my life I have been going to the movies alone and I try to go when the least amount of people go, the early show on a weekday. Half price and a lot of times its me alone or just a few other people. I like it that way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

foolishearthling
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2018, 5:20 pm

I always used to go to the cinema on my own. There was - years ago - an independent 'art house' type place, where I got to see some amazing films, usually in a nearly empty auditorium. I probably saw Tarkovsky there for the first time. The faded 'glory' of the place just added to the atmosphere.
After it closed, there was a more modern place in the city showing European and world films, but if I went with anyone, I just wound up anxious that they'd had a good time. I don't mind watching films that don't quite make it - ok, bad films then - so long as they are an honest attempt. The whole film process fascinates me.
I heard Tom Hanks always used to go alone too. So, maybe it's not so weird.