Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ronald1957
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2018, 10:40 am

Hi all Wp'ers
I think I chose be a harden drug addict in my 40's, to cover against the stigma against being labeled something more permanent . You can recover from drug addiction but not autism. I didn't make this choice consciously. Which makes me wonder about my whole psychological defence mechanisms in general... but here I am wondering if I can make lasting change in my life... I'll choose I was meant to be this way for what reason? What choice do I have as a starting point? Had my best friend die of AIDs in 1984... Trauma was part of my whole life in many ways. It kept me from realizing who I was. ... I might as well have been in a coma for 40 year's, with a pension which reflex's that! It's hard to believe where I am.! Self sabotage has been a cloak I've seemingly lived by... no dragon to slay anymore!
Mr.Spock said, " there are always options"... but in "Galileo 7" he chose humam desperation.

improvisation Band-in-a-Box May 23, 2018 (HD)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 11:23 am

You can't "cure" autism----but you can certainly "treat" it.

I've known a few autistic people who use their music to communicate to people.

It's not a hopeless situation, by any means.

Getting over drug addiction is a very difficult thing. To have done that is a great accomplishment.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 12:10 pm

Gosh, I wouldnt say you really can recover from being a drug addict though because even if you stop using you can keep having a psychological addiction for years and years. Also, you probably already know, you get the withdrawals which last longer than the effect of the drug and sometimes post acute withdrawal even months after the acute withdrawal.

Some drugs can effect the bodies neurotransmitters so they don't work properly and it may or may not repair itself or may take a long long time.

Also even if you get clean there will be times you want to go back to drugs to get away from things.

So i'd say nooo its worse than it seems from the outside.

ronald1957
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2018, 12:36 pm

I have no craving to stick a needle & inject myself again for over 12 years , I do sometimes get anxiety attacks from the worst moments I did.... I will not relapse because I cannot betray myself that way again... I am not an addict to it.... their is no desire or conflict to resist

improvisation Band-in-a-Box May 23, 2018 (HD)

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2018, 3:52 am

I understand this, and behaved in a lesser, but similar way when dating. I'd have 2 or 3 drinks in order to feel less inhibited - not physically, but just to have a normal conversation.

Men didn't seem to like that, so lesson learned.

Breakingpoint
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2018, 6:34 pm

It is true to say you are always an addict speaking purely scientifically. You do not use now(congrats on 12 years by the way that's huge and you should be proud of that) but brain cemestry for those of us who have been affected by addiction will always work different then other peoples.
10 years clean myself from cocaine,alcahol and pain pills. I'm glad I've since learned to embrace my autism rather then deny it. #goredinstead stay strong brethren