Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 2:20 pm

Just curious if anyone has noticed a trend with regards to the musical preference of people on the spectrum. A few people on the spectrum that I know (myself included) are fans of metal music. I know a man who has pretty severe ASD (45 and non verbal, maybe he has 5 words) and he has one of the most extensive heavy metal music collections that I have seen. My music preference has always been a bit unusual for a woman my age. I was born in 1984 but listen to a lot of 70s and 80s rock. Some 90's as well. Below is a list of what I have been listening too.

Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. I especially love the early Black Sabbath from ~1970-75. I believe that they are absolute musical geniuses.

Lots of metal from the 80's. 80's Metallica, WASP, Judas Priest

90's alternative - Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Type O Negative (the lead singer of this band became one of my "obsessions" for a while)

I especially like bands like Alice in Chains, Type O and Black Sabbath. My taste definitely leans towards the dark, melodic and heavy side of things.

I understand that this is somewhat of a weird list for a female. I also seem to have more of a "male" brain in general (always gotten along better with men, engineer). My husband thinks it's pretty awesome that I am a metal head like him :D A neurotypical cousin once scoffed at me "What GIRL likes Metallica?"

So what are YOUR musical preferences?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 2:24 pm

I'm not a huge fan of metal music because it often is too loud and doesn't sound nice to me. To me it just seems like someone is screaming into a microphone and breaking perfectly good instruments for virtually no reason. Mostly, I like current pop music :lol: as well as classical music. That's just my preference.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 2:36 pm

I don't really like metal. I prefer more melodic music with a catchy tune, and I like to be able to relate to the lyrics in some way. I like some pop, classic rock, folk, etc.

random23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2018, 2:59 pm

The music I listen to is mainly pop music, but occasionally I listen to other genres as well. A nice sounding melody is a very important part of music for me (that's probably why I like the piano so much). Besides, I highly doubt that there's any meaningful correlation between ASD and a specific music taste (I'm not implying that anyone said so).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:07 pm

Ugh, I do not like heavy metal or rock music. My NT boyfriend loves AC/DC, but to me every song sounds the same; loud guitars and mad singing.

I like country music, like proper country music, sung by real hillbilly type. I love Irish and Scottish country songs.

I do like techno too, like in the 1990s. I find that enjoyable to listen to.

This may be uncommon in taste but I like march too, and polka. And some old Mozart types, stuff like that.

Basically I like anything that's catchy. But I do have a mixture of all sorts of music genres on my MP4, with only about two or three heavy rock songs. I'm not a fan of rap either, except for some Eminem.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:09 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of metal music because it often is too loud and doesn't sound nice to me. To me it just seems like someone is screaming into a microphone and breaking perfectly good instruments for virtually no reason. Mostly, I like current pop music :lol: as well as classical music. That's just my preference.

I agree with you. Metal music isn't my thing either.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:25 pm

i dont think liking metal is indicative of a "male" brain, whatever the hell that means.

i am not hugely into metal but i do enjoy some of it as long as it's got melody and a recognisable song structure.
i love all types of music from Japanese 80's indie pop to jazz, vaporwave, noise, glitch, ambient, classical etc etc
depends from my mood :)

saying that, i feel i should share some beauty so here's a favorite from my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a79nSbmy69U :heart:

any Janacek fans out there?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:05 pm

Well I don't think it's unusual, but I am a metalhead female myself. I like older stuff and current stuff. I have to admit I cannot say I find Metallica very impressive, I mean they had some good stuff from the 80's maybe early 90's but seems they have sort of gone down-hill and have let the fame get to their heads a little too much...but that is hardly the only band.

I like tons of metal I'd say Behemoth is one of my favorite bands. But yeah I listen to lots of current metal and also older stuff like Black Sabbath...just fairly recently started checking out some of Judas Priests more recent stuff and thought it was pretty good.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2018, 5:19 pm

:skull: I like some metal Infantry ~ Brutal Torment :skull:

although mostly JPOP ~

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 4:02 pm

I really like Prog Rock and Pop.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:26 pm

I like Classical music and 1950s and 1960s Rock and Roll. I also like Broadway showtunes, particularly Andrew Lloyd Weber's Evita and Cats.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:39 pm

the closest I can get to liking metal, is listening to an old fave pink Floyd album called Meddle. I prefer classical, jazz and showtunes with a smattering of new age melodies as well. I am a big fan of the Wurlitzer theatrical pipe organ and the glorious music which issues forth from those magnificently monstrous contraptions.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 8:49 am

I like the bands you mentioned. Really depends on my mood. But most of what I enjoy tends to be classic metal, classic rock and progressive bands. With a certain amount of pop and even disco mixed in. I like the oldies. These days I'm pretty obsessed with Pink Floyd.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 8:55 am

Dylanperr wrote:
I agree with you. Metal music isn't my thing either.

Are you sure?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq42HUUJFzU (be careful with the volume)

There was controversy with this song because some people thought the lyrics at the end "I tell you to enjoy life" were "I tell you to end your life".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 9:32 am

I don't need no Educay-tion......I don't need no Thought Control.....

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2018, 9:54 am

I have a pretty broad taste in music and I've listened to quite a lot of metal music over the years. If you like dark, melodic metal then I would strongly suggest Opeth, they have some truly beautiful compositions.