Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:34 am

Quote:
8) Honesty. "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" are the two most important ethical maxims with regard to employment. Did you know that goofing off at work is a form of theft? Every time you stop to look at another cat video, you are stealing from your employer. Did you know that if your employer cannot trust you to tell the truth, he or she will eventually find a more honest replacement for you? Every time you call in sick to have fun, you are being dishonest. I remember a co-worker who called in sick on the day of a football championship. We had the game on the telly in the break room, and the boss walked in just as the co-worker was shown cheering on his team from the stands. That co-worker quickly became a former co-worker.

If goofing off at work is theft then why isn't one arrested and charged for a crime? I don't get it.

And, can we expect honesty from those on the top as well? If we can't then why?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 10 Jul 2018, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:35 am

I find it easier to work if the work I do has easily identifiable completion points. I can do very difficult tasks if I can break it down into smaller ones.

On other hand, the endless cycle of, well, that isn't exactly what I want, try again... that doesn't work for me.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:38 am

Quote:
1) Marketable Job Skills. The greater the need for your skills, the better it is for you. This means that if the supply of people with a specific skillset is low, and the demand for that skillset is high, then the person with that skillset will also be in high demand. High-school graduates have few (if any) marketable skills, and dropouts have even fewer. A vocational-school degree shows that you are willing to learn, and that you have skills that are useful to the appropriate employer. University degrees are even better, whether they are "Liberal Arts" degrees or degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Mathematics (e.g., "STEM" degrees).

If STEM fields are so marketable then why do almost all of them require multi skills and each skill requires years of experience? Why do so many ppl struggle to get into these fields while we bring in those with HB-1 visas?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:41 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
8) Honesty. "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" are the two most important ethical maxims with regard to employment. Did you know that goofing off at work is a form of theft? Every time you stop to look at another cat video, you are stealing from your employer. Did you know that if your employer cannot trust you to tell the truth, he or she will eventually find a more honest replacement for you? Every time you call in sick to have fun, you are being dishonest. I remember a co-worker who called in sick on the day of a football championship. We had the game on the telly in the break room, and the boss walked in just as the co-worker was shown cheering on his team from the stands. That co-worker quickly became a former co-worker.

If goofing off at work is theft then why isn't one arrested and charged for a crime? I don't get it.

I think it depends on the context. Goofing off can be useful in if you are in a business where "the customer comes first," you can easily drop the video and attend to the customer, with full focus on the customer. I think a lot of people on the spectrum can't do website work and then drop what they are doing to fully focus on a customer. It is the multitasking issue. Doing one really good job is often preferable to doing two jobs poorly. Though that depends on the company.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:43 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
If STEM fields are so marketable then why do almost all of them require multi skills and each skill requires years of experience?
STEM degrees are so marketable BECAUSE almost all of them require multiple skills, and each skill requires years of experience.
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Why do so many ppl struggle to get into these fields while we bring in those with HB-1 visas?
AMERICANS struggle with STEM fields because they're too damned lazy to study and work hard for their STEM degrees, thus requiring the import of foreigners with the STEM skills that American businesses need.

You are over-analyzing again, as well as reversing causes and their effects. :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 1:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
If STEM fields are so marketable then why do almost all of them require multi skills and each skill requires years of experience?
STEM degrees are so marketable BECAUSE almost all of them require multiple skills, and each skill requires years of experience.
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Why do so many ppl struggle to get into these fields while we bring in those with HB-1 visas?
AMERICANS struggle with STEM fields because they're too damned lazy to study and work hard for their STEM degrees, thus requiring the import of foreigners with the STEM skills that American businesses need.

You are over-analyzing again, as well as reversing causes and their effects. :roll:

Fnord, to get an IT job or any STEM job all you need is the items that you stated on your OP plus the degree only.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2018, 6:04 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
Remember, while employment is a right, actually being employed is a privilege.

Fnord, if you don't mind can you please define what employment vs being employed means? What is the difference exactly? I would appreciate it.

One of the things you have been doing well is you are attempting to define your terms This helps a lot when you and others are trying to make a point. I wish others would define what they meant by their terms both on here and IRL. It would make conversations smoother if both parties agreed upon definitions. I'm going to make a concerted effort to do the same thing.

When a disclaimer is encroached upon the public without any valid evidence or URL to show for it, then it just becomes the opinion of that disclaimer and no more.
If being employed is what you call an American privilege, I guess all the rest of us countries are Kansas states in their own right.
Meaning we have the land to make good, but the government and bureaucratic states that be, want different.
Come to think of it, wasn't the Trump land of Republicans founded on this same constitution of rights that mirror that dream as opposed to governing theories and ethics?
What happens to disabled people under the first amendment, and does anyone have a choice on how they should be treated fairly? or just bow to state prosecution under false means of arrest.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:32 am

cubedemon6073:

When somebody does not have the right to work (for example illegal immigrants, legal residents with limited rights, children) it means they cannot look for/apply for or obtain jobs and companies or private individuals are not allowed to hire them. Still getting a job in these conditions would mean both them and their employer are breaking the law.

When you have the right to work, you are legally permitted to seek employment: so you can search and apply for jobs, use public or private institutions/resources to help you in your search, and employers are legally permitted to hire you, while also being permitted to reject you if you don't have the proper qualifications, they have a better candidate etc. So you are free to look for and obtain employment but nobody can guarantee if or when you'll find it.

Employers have rights too, in this case the right to hire the best qualified person for the job, through whatever legal selection process they deem fit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 12:35 pm

Thanks, Bender!

Those of us who understand the real differences between 'rights' and 'privileges' seem to do better in obtaining and keeping jobs than do people who argue that their definitions are the only correct ones.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
cubedemon6073:

When somebody does not have the right to work (for example illegal immigrants, legal residents with limited rights, children) it means they cannot look for/apply for or obtain jobs and companies or private individuals are not allowed to hire them. Still getting a job in these conditions would mean both them and their employer are breaking the law.

When you have the right to work, you are legally permitted to seek employment: so you can search and apply for jobs, use public or private institutions/resources to help you in your search, and employers are legally permitted to hire you, while also being permitted to reject you if you don't have the proper qualifications, they have a better candidate etc. So you are free to look for and obtain employment but nobody can guarantee if or when you'll find it.

Employers have rights too, in this case the right to hire the best qualified person for the job, through whatever legal selection process they deem fit.

TY for explaining it better unlike arrogant and pompous as*hole braggarts in our world who refuse to explain things to those who don't understand and is making efforts to do so. You're a good guy bender. If people explained things to me and broke things down in a logical way instead of a roundabout and vague way I would get it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:45 pm

One person's blunt and direct way (mine) is another person's obtuse and indirect way (yours).

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 10:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
One person's blunt and direct way (mine) is another person's obtuse and indirect way (yours).

True! I agree. But, be prepared to be questioned especially if the guru is saying things that make no sense to the student and the student is trying to clarify his understanding.

And, I think I understand you're saying. The term rights is a misnomer. What is more accurate to say is that it is a set of prohibitions against certain parties. Example: The right to work means that the government is not allowed to pass laws that would prohibit me from pursuing employment or going into business for myself. If one does not have the right to work the government is allowed to pass laws that would prohibit me from pursuing employment or going into business for myself. Rights don't grant anyone anything but prohibit others from committing certain actions against me. That is what it really all boils down to since Bender clarified better.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 1:37 am

I'm going to say that even if someone is arrogant and a pompous as*hole this does not detract from whether the argument is sound or not. I've dealt with my share of pompous as*holes in my life and I've tried to discipline myself to listen to their argument and the content that comes out of their mouths. I've met my fair share who were actually right in what they said. I will call them pompous gurus.

The issue I see with them though is that they refuse to accept the possibility that they could be wrong or entertain any other interpretation besides the one they have. They refuse to say "let's check this guy's reasoning out and see where it goes." No, it's I'm right you're wrong this is the way the world works. Which brings me to another bone of contention. Yes, the world does work this way today but why does it have to be this way? Why do we have to accept the world as it is today? Why can't we as humanity do a bit better? These gurus understand how the world exists today but refuse to look at the possibilities of tomorrow. There is no sense of wonder and no imagination to the possibilities. In their mind, this is the best of all possible worlds. There can be no better so why strive for better? When the gurus say life is not fair and I must accept this. But, gurus of the past said the same thing. If we listened to the gurus of our past we would not have the USA today. Because, under their logic we would still be under King George and Parliment's thumb.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 2:00 am

^Yes we should definitely accept things as a temporary thing on the way to making things better.

Life with King/Queen and Parliament quite nice by the way :D

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:25 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
^Yes we should definitely accept things as a temporary thing on the way to making things better.

I can accept this.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Thanks, Bender!

Those of us who understand the real differences between 'rights' and 'privileges' seem to do better in obtaining and keeping jobs than do people who argue that their definitions are the only correct ones.

That was a really good OP - it can take people decades of work experience to learn some of these things.