Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 3:05 pm

Disclaimer: What follows is the experienced-based opinion of the author, and does not reflect the opinions of the moderators, administrators, or owners of this website. While controversial, the views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author, and are in no way directed at any individual unless that individual is expressly named. Any resemblance to any other person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

One Aspie's Work Ethic

Recently, a highly-functioning autistic person asked me, "What do you think/feel an autistic person needs for them to acquire sustainable and meaningful employment?" (... well, words to that effect, anyway.)

The Short Answer:

"The very same things that a non-autistic person needs."

After a Short Pause:

"No ... seriously ... what should I do?"

It dawned on me that this person was not so much looking for the right things to do to get and keep a job, as they were looking for a "magic shortcut" to take where they would not have to struggle as much as their neurotypical counterparts.

So we sat down and I laid it all out for them. What follows is the condensed version of that conversation, and mostly from my point-of-view (your point-of-view may vary). I know that some of these are painfully obvious, and some are not so obvious; but all are important. As a person who has had the pleasure of hiring many very good people, I have also had the dreadful task of informing some not-so-good people that their employment was no longer required.

The Long Answer to "What do I have to do to get and keep a job?":

1) Marketable Job Skills. The greater the need for your skills, the better it is for you. This means that if the supply of people with a specific skillset is low, and the demand for that skillset is high, then the person with that skillset will also be in high demand. High-school graduates have few (if any) marketable skills, and dropouts have even fewer. A vocational-school degree shows that you are willing to learn, and that you have skills that are useful to the appropriate employer. University degrees are even better, whether they are "Liberal Arts" degrees or degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Mathematics (e.g., "STEM" degrees).

2) Willingness to Take Orders. Every worker takes orders from someone else; customers, managers, supervisors, boards of directors, et cetera. If you don't follow orders, your competition will (this includes other job-seekers). It is also common knowledge that before you can become an effective leader, you must first know what it is like to be an effective follower.

3) Ability to Work. Face it, if you cannot do the work that you were hired to do then you are a liability to your employer, not an asset. While disability compensation is available, it is not intended as a salary for doing nothing. Either stay home and collect disability, or get a job and earn your living -- there is no middle ground.

4) A Responsible Attitude. You are the single most common factor in all of your successes and failures. Accept it, deal with it, and make no excuses for your actions. "Arrive Early/Leave Late" shows that you are serious about being employed. Be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there, and doing what you are supposed to do. At the end of the day, put your tools away and clean up your workspace. Some places may also require that you empty your trash, others don't. In any case, show that you are a responsible employee before someone else tells you to be more responsible.

5) Social Skills. Eventually, every job will require that you interact with someone. That person could be a customer, a co-worker, a supervisor, or even an intruder. How well you handle the encounter will affect your future employment. Learn to communicate with people in a meaningful and civil manner -- and while you don't have to be friendly to everybody, you do have to be civil. Also, when given instruction or "constructive criticism" the correct response is to affirm what you are told and that you will comply. The incorrect reply is to ask "Why?" Never ask "Why?" when you could be following the instructions instead.

6) Respect for Others. This goes along with social skills. It is important to understand the concepts of confidentiality, privacy, and personal space. In other words: (a) What you hear and see at work stays at work; (b) You do not need to know everything about anyone else. Name, title, job description, business email address, and business telephone number are all that is necessary -- beyond that, leave it up to others to inform you; and (c) No touching, no staring, and keep your comments to yourself. Even compliments can make other people feel uncomfortable, and someone may even take offense at something as simple as a sincere courtesy like, "Good morning".

7) Adaptability. This not only means that you must adjust to changes in your work environment, but that you must also adjust to changes in your social environment, as well. If you get stressed out whenever the lighting, temperature, or noise level changes; or if you have a meltdown whenever someone criticizes your appearance, behavior, or methodology; then you will soon find yourself being shame-walked out to the parking lot with all of your personal belongings in a box and your final paycheck in your hand.

8) Honesty. "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" are the two most important ethical maxims with regard to employment. Did you know that goofing off at work is a form of theft? Every time you stop to look at another cat video, you are stealing from your employer. Did you know that if your employer cannot trust you to tell the truth, he or she will eventually find a more honest replacement for you? Every time you call in sick to have fun, you are being dishonest. I remember a co-worker who called in sick on the day of a football championship. We had the game on the telly in the break room, and the boss walked in just as the co-worker was shown cheering on his team from the stands. That co-worker quickly became a former co-worker.

9) Tolerance. Differences in appearance, attitude, belief, and culture are important aspects of the workplace. While you cannot control them in others (nor should you even try), you can control your reactions to them. Unless you are working in Human Resources, you should refrain from making a distinction in favor of or against, a person based on the group, class, or category to which the person is perceived to belong. This means that saying (for example) "I think she's pretty" can be just as bad as saying "I think she's ugly" -- both can get your employment terminated. So, just as a precaution, it's best to make no mention of another person's age, color, criminal history, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and/or sexual orientation. Despite its controversial origins, the practice of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" with regard to any of thes topics may be the best course of action to take.

10) Appropriate Appearance. While looking like a fashion model is not necessary (except in the fashion industry), it is important to present yourself in a fashion that is appropriate for the job. First, during the interview process, it is important to have well-trimmed hair and nails, a clean-shaven face, and clothes that are best described as "office formal". Once hired, find out your employer's dress code for your particular job, which may require a special uniform and/or safety equipment.

Final Words:

All of these are equally important. You cannot just focus on your skillset (for example) and expect your employer to appreciate you when you are rude and surly to co-worker and customer alike. Sooner or later, you will be told to "shape up or ship out" ... or you may be simply sacked and replaced. Remember, while employment is a right, actually being employed is a privilege.

It's all up to you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:59 am

Quote:
Remember, while employment is a right, actually being employed is a privilege.

Fnord, if you don't mind can you please define what employment vs being employed means? What is the difference exactly? I would appreciate it.

One of the things you have been doing well is you are attempting to define your terms This helps a lot when you and others are trying to make a point. I wish others would define what they meant by their terms both on here and IRL. It would make conversations smoother if both parties agreed upon definitions. I'm going to make a concerted effort to do the same thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 11:20 am

In the context of the OP:

Employment: The possibility of being employed, or the general employment market.

Being Employed: Self-explanatory. Also called "Having a Job".

The dictionary definitions may vary.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 11:41 am

Fnord wrote:

Employment: The possibility of being employed, or the general employment market.

Ya, being employed is self-explanatory. Just wanted both of us on the same page.

I'm still confused by what you mean by employment. I think I might be missing an important distinction. What does possibility of being employed mean? Does it mean I only have the right to pursue or take action of my accord to obtain employment sort of like pursuing happiness? Does it mean I have right to info on how to do it? Does it mean I have the right to a job only under certain conditions?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:29 pm

Again, what does it mean that one has the right to the possibility of being employed and what does it mean that one has the right to the general employment market? How does it make sense to claim that one has the right to the possibility of being employed and the right to the general employment market when one has no right to being employed?

It's similar to the whole love it or leave it that you and other conservatives state when it comes to our country. One has the right to leave the USA but one has no right to reside anywhere else but if one can't reside anywhere else then how can on leave?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:53 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Ya, being employed is self-explanatory. Just wanted both of us on the same page.

I'm still confused by what you mean by employment. I think I might be missing an important distinction. What does possibility of being employed mean? Does it mean I only have the right to pursue or take action of my accord to obtain employment sort of like pursuing happiness? Does it mean I have right to info on how to do it? Does it mean I have the right to a job only under certain conditions?
We all have a right to have a job but no one is obligated to give us a job. Like dating, no one can stop you from dating, but they can stop you from dating them. Obviously if everyone is using the same job/dating criteria for the people they will employ/date then the distinction between the two doesn't make much difference to the person not getting a job/date.

I thought the list good, can't find anything to disagree with. There is a bit more flexibility at the bottom of the pile, I ought to know since I've been down here a long time, but following this advice won't hurt for jobs right at the bottom. And for advancement they are essential.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 4:02 pm

Quote:
We all have a right to have a job but no one is obligated to give us a job. Like dating, no one can stop you from dating, but they can stop you from dating them. Obviously if everyone is using the same job/dating criteria for the people they will employ/date then the distinction between the two doesn't make much difference to the person not getting a job/date.

Dude, for one to have a right to a job an obligation and requirement must exist for one or more others to give you a job. B is dependent on A. Right is necessitated by obligation just like in order for a car to start gas is necessary. If others are not obligated to give me one then no job is a right to have and having a job is a privilege. You and Fnord's answers are a form of double-think.

Quote:
I thought the list good, can't find anything to disagree with. There is a bit more flexibility at the bottom of the pile, I ought to know since I've been down here a long time, but following this advice won't hurt for jobs right at the bottom. And for advancement they are essential.

I agree with it as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 6:11 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:

Thank you!

Without looking for the meaning behind the meaning, you got right to the core of the post -- While the right to a job is more-or-less inalienable, the privilege of actually having a job can be denied.

I don't understand why others are so oblivious to this one obvious fact and need to have things explained repeatedly to them.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 8:09 am

Fnord wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Thank you!

Without looking for the meaning behind the meaning, you got right to the core of the post -- While the right to a job is more-or-less inalienable, the privilege of actually having a job can be denied.

I don't understand why others are so oblivious to this one obvious fact and need to have things explained repeatedly to them.

The reason I need you to elaborate further what you mean is because it makes no sense. Are you saying a right to a job is only inalienable only under certain conditions meaning there are exceptions? Why can't you elaborate further and the answer the questions instead of giving me a hard time? It makes no sense to claim one has a right to a job and then turn around and call it a privilege. This is very Orwellian. It reeks of double-think. Which is it? Is having a job a right or is it is privilege?

And, why are others so oblivious to this one fact? B/c we're on the autism spectrum disorder and our issues vary. We have more difficulty in some things then other things. My version of Autism is different then yours.

And, supposed facts can be open to interpretation.

Here is how I see it.

Inalienable means can't be given or taken away.

Right is an inalienable entitlement as you say Fnord.

Privilege is a revokable entitlement as you say Fnord.

Certain others can choose to give me a job or not or choose to take away a job or not. If one runs a business others can choose to be a customer or not. For one to have a job as a right then others would have to be forced to provide jobs and the freedom to choose would have to be taken away from others. . That's not how it works in our capitalistic system. People can choose. Ergo, the right or the inalienable entitlement to a job cannot and does not exist. Having a job is only a privilege others can choose to bestow upon you or if you're a business customers bestow the privilege upon you of buying your products.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 10:23 am

I am standing up and applauding Fnord’s words. So true, so true to every thing he said.

I would add that all workers need to take care of their own comfort needs in order to be productive and not burn out. Take regular breaks, keep something soothing nearby, and try not to think about non work related aspects of your job. Stay on task.

For example, back when I was working, there were several pairs of workers who were having affairs and then telling me about it. This bothered me. And it took up my time when people would engage me in conversation not related to work. I felt like people I didn’t like were always talking to me. Now I can see that that was my fault for listening.

You don’t have to have a lot of friends at work. Or even any friends. You can get things done with others through appropriate alliances. They ask you for help, you give it, and then when you need help getting something done, you know who to go to. If they don’t help you in return, don’t do them so many favors in the future.

But yeah, totally, if you are following the rules like Fnord laid out, you will do well in any job.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 1:15 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Thank you!

The reason I need you to elaborate further what you mean is because it makes no sense. Are you saying a right to a job is only inalienable only under certain conditions meaning there are exceptions? Why can't you elaborate further and the answer the questions instead of giving me a hard time? It makes no sense to claim one has a right to a job and then turn around and call it a privilege. This is very Orwellian. It reeks of double-think. Which is it? Is having a job a right or is it is privilege?

And, why are others so oblivious to this one fact? B/c we're on the autism spectrum disorder and our issues vary. We have more difficulty in some things then other things. My version of Autism is different then yours.

Here is how I see it.

Certain others can choose to give me a job or not or choose to take away a job or not. If one runs a business others can choose to be a customer or not. For one to have a job as a right then others would have to be forced to provide jobs and the freedom to choose would have to be taken away from others. . That's not how it works in our capitalistic system. People can choose. Ergo, the right or the inalienable entitlement to a job cannot and does not exist. Having a job is only a privilege others can choose to bestow upon you or if you're a business customers bestow the privilege upon you of buying your products.
Sorry your interpretation of the meaning of the word 'rights' is different to mine. Having a right to something here doesn't automatically obligate anyone to provide it, in fact we have a saying 'just because you have a right to something, doesn't mean you're going to get it'.

What does inalienable mean?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 1:23 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
... Having a right to something here doesn't automatically obligate anyone to provide it, in fact we have a saying 'just because you have a right to something, doesn't mean you're going to get it'.
THIS, for the win! Or, as my ex-father-in-law used to say, "People in Hell want ice-water".

fluffysaurus wrote:
It means, "Cannot be denied". While a person's right to employment cannot be denied, it doesn't mean that they will automatically be given the privilege of a job.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 2:29 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Thank you!

Here is how I see it.

Sorry your interpretation of the meaning of the word 'rights' is different to mine. Having a right to something here doesn't automatically obligate anyone to provide it, in fact we have a saying 'just because you have a right to something, doesn't mean you're going to get it'.

Inalienable means can't be taken or given away by the possessor.

Neither of you are making any sense. Here is why. Either you go into business for your self in which you will need customers to be in business or one has to get a job and in order for one to have a job this job comes from others.

One can't have a right to customers because the only way that right would be able to be enforced would be to compel others to buy from you. One can't have a right to a job because the only way one would be able to enforce this right is to compel others to provide it to you. Either one has a right to a job which means others would have to be obligated and forced by the state to provide it or no one is obligated to provide one a job and the state can't compel anyone to provide anyone a job ergo a job by logic can't be a right.

To claim a job is a right yet claiming no one has any obligation to provide it when the only way to get a job outside of running one's own business is for others to provide it makes absolutely no sense and is contradictory.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:27 am

Quote:
2) Willingness to Take Orders. Every worker takes orders from someone else; customers, managers, supervisors, boards of directors, et cetera. If you don't follow orders, your competition will (this includes other job-seekers). It is also common knowledge that before you can become an effective leader, you must first know what it is like to be an effective follower.

What if the orders were unethical or illegal?

What if one has more then one boss and one boss says one thing and another boss says another thing? What do you do then?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:30 am

Quote:
4) A Responsible Attitude. You are the single most common factor in all of your successes and failures. Accept it, deal with it, and make no excuses for your actions. "Arrive Early/Leave Late" shows that you are serious about being employed. Be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there, and doing what you are supposed to do. At the end of the day, put your tools away and clean up your workspace. Some places may also require that you empty your trash, others don't. In any case, show that you are a responsible employee before someone else tells you to be more responsible.

Are there any extenuating circumstances that are acceptable?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:34 am

Quote:
8) Honesty. "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" are the two most important ethical maxims with regard to employment. Did you know that goofing off at work is a form of theft? Every time you stop to look at another cat video, you are stealing from your employer. Did you know that if your employer cannot trust you to tell the truth, he or she will eventually find a more honest replacement for you? Every time you call in sick to have fun, you are being dishonest. I remember a co-worker who called in sick on the day of a football championship. We had the game on the telly in the break room, and the boss walked in just as the co-worker was shown cheering on his team from the stands. That co-worker quickly became a former co-worker.

If goofing off at work is theft then why isn't one arrested and charged for a crime? I don't get it.

And, can we expect honesty from those on the top as well? If we can't then why?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 10 Jul 2018, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.