Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Thanks, Bender!

Those of us who understand the real differences between 'rights' and 'privileges' seem to do better in obtaining and keeping jobs than do people who argue that their definitions are the only correct ones.

That was a really good OP - it can take people decades of work experience to learn some of these things.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 4:51 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
cubedemon6073:

When somebody does not have the right to work (for example illegal immigrants, legal residents with limited rights, children) it means they cannot look for/apply for or obtain jobs and companies or private individuals are not allowed to hire them. Still getting a job in these conditions would mean both them and their employer are breaking the law.

When you have the right to work, you are legally permitted to seek employment: so you can search and apply for jobs, use public or private institutions/resources to help you in your search, and employers are legally permitted to hire you, while also being permitted to reject you if you don't have the proper qualifications, they have a better candidate etc. So you are free to look for and obtain employment but nobody can guarantee if or when you'll find it.

Employers have rights too, in this case the right to hire the best qualified person for the job, through whatever legal selection process they deem fit.

TY for explaining it better unlike arrogant and pompous as*hole braggarts in our world who refuse to explain things to those who don't understand and is making efforts to do so. You're a good guy bender. If people explained things to me and broke things down in a logical way instead of a roundabout and vague way I would get it.

It's all good, but to be honest I couldn't quite tell myself if you really didn't understand or you were being argumentative - there's really no need to jump straight to insults over a misunderstanding :)

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 5:29 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
cubedemon6073:

When somebody does not have the right to work (for example illegal immigrants, legal residents with limited rights, children) it means they cannot look for/apply for or obtain jobs and companies or private individuals are not allowed to hire them. Still getting a job in these conditions would mean both them and their employer are breaking the law.

When you have the right to work, you are legally permitted to seek employment: so you can search and apply for jobs, use public or private institutions/resources to help you in your search, and employers are legally permitted to hire you, while also being permitted to reject you if you don't have the proper qualifications, they have a better candidate etc. So you are free to look for and obtain employment but nobody can guarantee if or when you'll find it.

Employers have rights too, in this case the right to hire the best qualified person for the job, through whatever legal selection process they deem fit.

TY for explaining it better unlike arrogant and pompous as*hole braggarts in our world who refuse to explain things to those who don't understand and is making efforts to do so. You're a good guy bender. If people explained things to me and broke things down in a logical way instead of a roundabout and vague way I would get it.

It's all good, but to be honest I couldn't quite tell myself if you really didn't understand or you were being argumentative - there's really no need to jump straight to insults over a misunderstanding :)

Ok, can you explain please why you couldn't tell if I really didn't understand or were being argumentative? This is news for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 10:07 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Thanks, Bender! Those of us who understand the real differences between 'rights' and 'privileges' seem to do better in obtaining and keeping jobs than do people who argue that their definitions are the only correct ones.
That was a really good OP - it can take people decades of work experience to learn some of these things.
I’m 61 years old... :oops:

I just hope that someone will take the things I’ve learned and put them to good use, instead of making the same mistakes I did to learn them.

Had I known 50 years ago what I know now, life would have been easier for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 10:11 pm

I understand what a right is. What is more accurate to say is that a right doesn't confer anything upon me but is a prohibition on government. When it is said I have the right to freedom of speech what it is really saying is government is not authorized to pass laws that would abridge my freedom of speech. This doesn't mean Alex Plank or the other mods is not authorized ban me and impose rules upon me (they do) for the privilege of being here. Freedom of speech only applies to government not Alex Plank or the mods.

Same with a job. Right to a job means Government is not authorized to prohibit me from going through the process of finding a job nor is it authorized from prohibiting an employer from hiring someone. Only exceptions are children and illegals. But, this doesn't prohibit employers from refusing a job to me or firing me at anytime.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 11:01 pm

I think I understand now what I did wrong.

I went by the literal definition of rights instead of the intended definition of rights. In other words, I have severe difficulty determining someone else's intent.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 1:07 am

Quote:
7) Adaptability. This not only means that you must adjust to changes in your work environment, but that you must also adjust to changes in your social environment, as well. If you get stressed out whenever the lighting, temperature, or noise level changes; or if you have a meltdown whenever someone criticizes your appearance, behavior, or methodology; then you will soon find yourself being shame-walked out to the parking lot with all of your personal belongings in a box and your final paycheck in your hand.

Do you have any tips as to what one can do to adjust to the changes and make the transition smoother for yourself.

Quote:
2) Willingness to Take Orders. Every worker takes orders from someone else; customers, managers, supervisors, boards of directors, et cetera. If you don't follow orders, your competition will (this includes other job-seekers). It is also common knowledge that before you can become an effective leader, you must first know what it is like to be an effective follower.

1. What if one doesn't understand the orders given?

2. What if the order is illegal or unethical?

3. What if one set of orders given by others contradict another set of orders? Who is right first your boss or the customer?

Quote:
4) A Responsible Attitude. You are the single most common factor in all of your successes and failures. Accept it, deal with it, and make no excuses for your actions. "Arrive Early/Leave Late" shows that you are serious about being employed. Be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there, and doing what you are supposed to do. At the end of the day, put your tools away and clean up your workspace. Some places may also require that you empty your trash, others don't. In any case, show that you are a responsible employee before someone else tells you to be more responsible.

How am I the single most common factor in all of my successes and failures? How is this so? Do we not live in a society in which others make rules and laws that affect what we do and what choices we do have? If this is truthfully so then why is fraud illegal?

Quote:
5) Social Skills. Eventually, every job will require that you interact with someone. That person could be a customer, a co-worker, a supervisor, or even an intruder. How well you handle the encounter will affect your future employment. Learn to communicate with people in a meaningful and civil manner -- and while you don't have to be friendly to everybody, you do have to be civil. Also, when given instruction or "constructive criticism" the correct response is to affirm what you are told and that you will comply. The incorrect reply is to ask "Why?" Never ask "Why?" when you could be following the instructions instead.

1. Again, what if one doesn't understand the instruction given?

2. What do you consider being civil (i.e. being polite like saying please and thank you) vs being friendly?

3. Is part of civil shaking hands? What if one is a painter and one has paint on his hands? How do you be civil?

Quote:
9) Tolerance. Differences in appearance, attitude, belief, and culture are important aspects of the workplace. While you cannot control them in others (nor should you even try), you can control your reactions to them. Unless you are working in Human Resources, you should refrain from making a distinction in favor of or against, a person based on the group, class, or category to which the person is perceived to belong. This means that saying (for example) "I think she's pretty" can be just as bad as saying "I think she's ugly" -- both can get your employment terminated. So, just as a precaution, it's best to make no mention of another person's age, color, criminal history, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and/or sexual orientation. Despite its controversial origins, the practice of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" with regard to any of thes topics may be the best course of action to take.

What are the things I'm allowed to compliment on? You're giving me the don'ts without the DOs.

Quote:
Final Words:

All of these are equally important. You cannot just focus on your skillset (for example) and expect your employer to appreciate you when you are rude and surly to co-worker and customer alike. Sooner or later, you will be told to "shape up or ship out" ... or you may be simply sacked and replaced. Remember, while employment is a right, actually being employed is a privilege.

It's all up to you.

No one can be something they're not.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/disabl.t01.htm

And, if it is all up to me let me ask you this. If you look at the (number of ppl who are disabled who are employed vs those who are employed and not in the labor force) and if you look at the (number of ppl who are not disabled who are employed vs those who are employed and not in the labor force) why on the disabled side the majority of people are not in the labor force and why are those who are not disabled the majority of people are employed?

You said "You are the single most common factor in all of your successes and failures. Accept it, deal with it, and make no excuses for your actions." Based upon these stats how is that so? How do I control my destiny? How am I the captain of my own ship? How am I truthfully responsible for my failures meaning how did I cause my own failures especially if the numbers proved that I have a higher probability I would fail in life since those with any disability have a higher probability of not being in the labor force? If there are other variables that are outside of my control and have influence over what I do, what I think, etc etc then why am I, cubedemon6073 receive all of the responsibility pie?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 3:59 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Same with a job. Right to a job means Government is not authorized to prohibit me from going through the process of finding a job nor is it authorized from prohibiting an employer from hiring someone. Only exceptions are children and illegals. But, this doesn't prohibit employers from refusing a job to me or firing me at anytime.

That's it, in a nutshell! :)

Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Thanks, Bender! Those of us who understand the real differences between 'rights' and 'privileges' seem to do better in obtaining and keeping jobs than do people who argue that their definitions are the only correct ones.
I’m 61 years old... :oops:

I just hope that someone will take the things I’ve learned and put them to good use, instead of making the same mistakes I did to learn them.

Had I known 50 years ago what I know now, life would have been easier for me.

I'm just a few years younger.

We obviously have a few experiences in common, maybe the defining one being building a good life a bit later and only after hitting rock bottom and finding out you're all by yourself (in my case no government support, no family etc). I managed to do better after accepting that nobody would care or lift a finger if I dropped dead and my survival and well being will have to be strictly my responsibility.

There's more help available these days, which is a good thing, but things also became more complicated in different ways - I see a lot of young people seemingly lost and discouraged, often not realising that even if our society seems more caring and humane, some harsh realities related to the human condition are still the same and will probably never change.

TempeFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2018, 10:07 pm

This advise is antiquated at best. It fails to take into consideration the fact that in the current millennium employers have zero tolerance for Aspies or any other person who does not match the demographics they are looking for. Decades ago, when I was a manager, I strived to hire the most qualified person for the job. Such things as work ethics and work related criteria mattered. Unfortunately, nowadays human resource decisions are based primarily, if not solely, on the criteria you listed as , " it's best to make no mention of another person's age, color, criminal history, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and/or sexual orientation. "

The question: "What do I have to do to get and keep a job?" is completely invalid since it is not a question. It is two different questions with two very different answers. Fitting the desired stereotype is the only overlapping job skill for both questions. All of your suggestions should be equally important but in real life they just aren't. Getting the job requires not being a certain age, race, or gender, and not having a particular family status, sex issue, religion or perceived disability - all of which have absolutely nothing to do with whether you are qualified to do the job. Keeping the job requires being mediocre and generic. Doing the job with higher quality and quantity than those around you, will get you fired faster than being lazy or lousy at the work. Failure to exhibit the same hates and personal interests and prejudices as your coworkers or supervisors will get you ousted even faster for "not fitting in."

Federal law requires all employers to ask each applicant their race and gender. In the fine print, it states employment may not be AWARDED based on those criteria but the loophole is employment can and is WITHHELD based on those and other illegal criteria. The disabilities act requires reasonable accommodation for handicapable persons but since the law is routinely ignored by ALL American law enforcement agencies, employers ignore it too, without consequence. As long as the employer makes up a false excuse, instead of telling the truth about why they fired you, they can and will fire you for those illegal reasons. What is the statistic on that? Is it still less than 2% of persons are fired for work related incompetence and 98% for personality conflict because someone doesn't like them for not being like them?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:06 pm

TempeFan wrote:
This advise is antiquated at best. It fails to take into consideration the fact that in the current millennium employers have zero tolerance for Aspies or any other person who does not match the demographics they are looking for. Decades ago, when I was a manager, I strived to hire the most qualified person for the job. Such things as work ethics and work related criteria mattered. Unfortunately, nowadays human resource decisions are based primarily, if not solely, on the criteria you listed as , " it's best to make no mention of another person's age, color, criminal history, disability, ethnicity, family status, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sex, and/or sexual orientation. "

The question: "What do I have to do to get and keep a job?" is completely invalid since it is not a question. It is two different questions with two very different answers. Fitting the desired stereotype is the only overlapping job skill for both questions. All of your suggestions should be equally important but in real life they just aren't. Getting the job requires not being a certain age, race, or gender, and not having a particular family status, sex issue, religion or perceived disability - all of which have absolutely nothing to do with whether you are qualified to do the job. Keeping the job requires being mediocre and generic. Doing the job with higher quality and quantity than those around you, will get you fired faster than being lazy or lousy at the work. Failure to exhibit the same hates and personal interests and prejudices as your coworkers or supervisors will get you ousted even faster for "not fitting in."

Federal law requires all employers to ask each applicant their race and gender. In the fine print, it states employment may not be AWARDED based on those criteria but the loophole is employment can and is WITHHELD based on those and other illegal criteria. The disabilities act requires reasonable accommodation for handicapable persons but since the law is routinely ignored by ALL American law enforcement agencies, employers ignore it too, without consequence. As long as the employer makes up a false excuse, instead of telling the truth about why they fired you, they can and will fire you for those illegal reasons. What is the statistic on that? Is it still less than 2% of persons are fired for work related incompetence and 98% for personality conflict because someone doesn't like them for not being like them?

You are so right about everything you said.

Look at what Richard Branson says.

https://www.rivs.com/blog/why-richard-b ... rsonality/

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:10 pm

Since when is it remotely appropriate to assume everyone else is lazier than you? I stopped reading at "magic".

*edit* I kept reading because thinking about Fnord's posts makes it hard to sleep.

It's beneath common decency to presume irrationality in others. FFS I'm not a morning person unless I haven't slept first & I still say good morning. You're saying I should incline others towards depression?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 10 Sep 2018, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 11:23 pm

cberg wrote:
Since when is it remotely appropriate to assume everyone else is lazier than you? I stopped reading at "magic".

It's beneath common decency to presume irrationality in others.

My opinion is that in this world all groups will have as*holes. I think this is a universal constant.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 5:59 am

White lies are totally acceptable when it comes to saving the butts of your co-workers.

Being a "team player" counts for a lot more than honesty these days.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:45 am

"Teamwork" comes in three main types:

A. Everybody on the team performs to the best of their abilities, and everybody on the team shares in the rewards.

B. Everybody on the team works to make the team leader look good, and the team leader shares the rewards as he or she sees fit (if at all).

C. Every member of the team does only that which needs to be done to make himself or herself look good, while the team leader takes all the credit for their successes and denies responsibility for their failures.

Type A teams do consistently well in the long run, Type B teams do exceptionally well for a short time until the team leader gets transferred or promoted, and even though the Type C teams seem to be in constant motion, they never seem to really accomplish anything.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:54 am

a tall order for some of us here at least.