How long do you think SNES Classic will stay on Market?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 11:38 am

Title basically but more information, it didn't take long for the Nintendo NES Classic to be removed from the market and I am recovering from a slight financial hardship and would like to save money this month. Will the SNES Classic still be available in July? Also unrelated but how hard would it be to extract the Roms from the NES/SNES Classic versions?

Thanks in advance,

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

I can't see them disappearing just yet especially hacked ones in the 2nd hand market when you can do THIS

695 currently on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classi ... 0721GGGS9/

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 4:29 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I can't see them disappearing just yet especially hacked ones in the 2nd hand market when you can do THIS

Well yeah, I could do that on a Raspberry Pi, the goal for me in buying the SNES Classic was to have a legal alternative to Roms, no one really seems to care much but the integrity of the files is important too. Files are less like to have viruses if they are authentic then downloaded off the net. Plus to my knowledge its the only way to legally play Star Fox 2 which for me has me sold already since new games can be as much as the SNES Classic as a whole. I'd literally buy a Star Fox 2 player if that is all it could do. I hate I missed out on the NES Classic but they might release it later or I'll nab it at a decent but elevated price.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

All legal alternatives cost money so f**k the gaming industry , I'm a pirate till I die

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 7:00 pm

I still see them from time to time. Nintendo has said they intend to keep it around for a while, but we shall see.

Dragnet wrote:
Also unrelated but how hard would it be to extract the Roms from the NES/SNES Classic versions?

I don't know, but I know it's been done already. The Starfox 2 ROM has been out there for a while now.

As for the question of morals, you could buy some random SNES game on the eShop, and just pretend you were paying Nintendo for Starfox 2 :oops:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 9:20 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
As for the question of morals

I don't have very autistic morals when it comes to gaming & film piracy

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 11:59 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
As for the question of morals, you could buy some random SNES game on the eShop, and just pretend you were paying Nintendo for Starfox 2 :oops:

Well my morals on the topic of piracy is pretty straight forward to understand and that is, if you can't obtain software in its raw form legally, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I have also posted my problems with other forms of software piracy and that is, its not right to count every download as a lost because you can't tell the difference between users who pirate simply cause they can and users that pirate to actively avoid buying software. My example in this is, say your bored or want to have a huge music library and you download simply cause its there and if it wasn't there. You wouldn't have any desire to do so which makes sense cause you can listen to about anything of youtube these days. Its hard to identify these users vs someone who wants to actually buy a huge music library and actively steals albums to avoid paying for it. One has a motive to deprive someone, the artist in this case, of funds. Motive matters in nearly every law, thus there are levels to say murder which is an extreme example but valid none the less.

I don't know, maybe we need two laws, piracy and piracy with intent lol

I always laugh at that cause if I am doing something, its probably with an intent of some kind :mrgreen:

But that is off topic by the way so SaveFerris quit trolling my thread to get it locked :roll: :P

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 8:01 am

sorry :oops:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
All legal alternatives cost money so f**k the gaming industry , I'm a pirate till I die

Yeah, I view it in the exact same way.

Well, when it comes to roms, that is. I mean, like this thing with Nintendo, I'll state it for what it actually is: a nostalgia-fueled cash grab. The devices arent of very high quality, the emulation isnt even quite accurate (none of Nintendo's own emulation is... it's honestly pretty bad) and honestly I dont think you're even getting your money's worth with these things at all.

While on the other hand, there's WAY too many advantages to roms on PC.

1. They're super accurate.
2. You have lots... and lots... and lots... of options with them. You can alter and customize the hell out of EVERYTHING about them.
3. You're not suck with cheap hardware. I use my PS4 controller for everything. It's comfortable and doesnt make my arm flare up, and I'm used to it. I dont want to use what will inevitably be a cheapo "retro" controller made by a huge, ultra-greedy company. You KNOW those things wont last long. Nintendo's older devices were damn near indestructible. The recent stuff? .....No.
4. It's EXTREMELY convenient. I dont need some special bulky seperate device for all of that.
5. There are what I call "special" roms out there, which simply do not exist anywhere else. These are heavily modded versions of roms that have a variety of special features. One of my favorites is a rom of the original Zelda that goes along with this "randomizer" program. Rather than me explain what that is... just look it up. It's a pretty awesome thing that adds so much replayability and challenge to this ancient game that many of us completely mastered a long time ago. And Zelda sure isnt the only one. You can also see these special version roms appear at major events like AGDQ (a huge speedrunning event done for charity, broadcast on Twitch and basically everywhere else).
6. Wanna alter the games yourself? Yep, you can do that. Alot of the more well known games have things like level/world editors and such available for them. Wanna redesign Zebes in Metroid? It's not too hard to do, and can be pretty fun.
7. There isnt even remotely as much risk to roms as people think there is, in terms of viruses and such. I've been doing this for.... a long time. A LONG time. I've never once had any issues with any roms I've ever downloaded.... and I have some 10000 or so roms.
8. The big companies REALLY dont care. Even Nintendo, selling that device. It doesnt dig into their profits, and 99% of the games that were on these old machines wont make anyone any money ever again. What they care about is piracy of CURRENT games, which I can understand.

Now, when it comes to OTHER stuff, as in, not roms, I dont pirate anything. I mean, the big AAA games... I dont even play those. Couldnt care less about them. Too easy, often very buggy, usually shallow, low on content, but extremely high on greed... I'll pass, thanks. I will say though I have nothing against anyone that does pirate the big games these days. Believe me... I understand the reasoning behind it. They'll get no complaints out of me.

When it comes to indie games, I'll throw money at them even if I dont have to. The game is free, you say? Have $20 anyway. I've met alot of indie developers, and they're usually really nice people who work really hard at what they do, and they CARE about their community. Hell, I get involved in certain projects every now and then and have even made one myself, working with the developer I know the best. And when I buy from such devs... I know I'm getting my money's worth and then some.

So yeah, that's my thoughts on that whole topic, after who freaking knows how long dealing with this stuff.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 11:47 am

Hopefully longer than the mini NES, although that one is supposed to make a return soon.

These are really good ideas, but not in such low numbers. I didn't get the NES, really wanted it, hope to get it this time around.

Looking forward to hopefully getting mini Gameboy one day!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 8:40 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Looking forward to hopefully getting mini Gameboy one day!

I would probably be really tempted by that, even though I already have flash carts and several different types of Game Boy/DS.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:51 am

The question for me is how long will it be before Nintendo makes either a Nintendo 64 Classic or how long before Nintendo makes an improved version of the SNES Classic (cordless controllers, more games, high resolution mode 7, etc).

The 3D games such as Star Fox 1 & 2 could be rendered at higher resolutions (the Wii's virtual console already gives this treatment to Nintendo 64 games) and the side scrolling games could be given proper widescreen support (the levels are already much wider than 16:9, you just have to show more of the level at a time (the Sonic CD port for Android already does this)).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 8:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The question for me is how long will it be before Nintendo makes either a Nintendo 64 Classic or how long before Nintendo makes an improved version of the SNES Classic (cordless controllers, more games, high resolution mode 7, etc).

The 3D games such as Star Fox 1 & 2 could be rendered at higher resolutions (the Wii's virtual console already gives this treatment to Nintendo 64 games) and the side scrolling games could be given proper widescreen support (the levels are already much wider than 16:9, you just have to show more of the level at a time (the Sonic CD port for Android already does this)).

The thing with the Sonic CD Android port is that well, it's a port, and one programmed from scratch at that; it wouldn't be easy to reprogram all the old games on NES/SNES classic. Old consoles 2D games were programmed with consoles native aspect ratio in mind, and trying to run them in widescreen would likely cause a lot of troubles.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:25 pm

They should never die.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 9:44 pm

Tollorin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

The thing with the Sonic CD Android port is that well, it's a port, and one programmed from scratch at that; it wouldn't be easy to reprogram all the old games on NES/SNES classic. Old consoles 2D games were programmed with consoles native aspect ratio in mind, and trying to run them in widescreen would likely cause a lot of troubles.

Of course, you are correct that Sonic CD for Android is a port and the SNES classic uses emulation. Perhaps added widescreen will have to wait for the N64 classic. Emulation can add widescreen to 3D games since it's merely a matter of changing the FOV. In fact you can download an N64 Classic emulator right now that will run Mario 64 in widescreen.

On the other hand, some N64 games already had support for widescreen, such as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Of course, most of these games came from Rare. In some ways Rare was more forward thinking, while Nintendo was and remains a very conservative company. Unfortunately Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day will never be included in the N64 Classic.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Emulation can add widescreen to 3D games since it's merely a matter of changing the FOV.

It's a lot more work than you would think.

The only things that Nintendo seems to ever change is to tone down the bright flashy parts of games (due to seizures).

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Unfortunately Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day will never be included in the N64 Classic.

You never know, Rare have tried to reach out to Nintendo before, and Microsoft said they would be okay with it.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Goldeneye, though. I'm sure that one's a licensing nightmare.