Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2018, 10:16 am

Fnord wrote:
He could have any medical or mental condition that makes a person think that he or she has talent; when in reality, they are only in a close relationship with a more popular person, and they want to be noticed.

Maybe in 2001 you could make the case that Kanye was only famous for his relationship with Jay Z, but at this point he's long since passed him. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a credible contender for the greatest album of all time.

Regardless of whether you personally like his music, one cannot make songs like "Runaway" or "No Church In The Wild" or "Family Business" without a considerable degree of talent.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 10:22 am

Michael Jackson had talent.

Kanye West has an Auto-Tune.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASNerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2018, 10:24 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
He could have any medical or mental condition that makes a person think that he or she has talent; when in reality, they are only in a close relationship with a more popular person, and they want to be noticed.

Maybe in 2001 you could make the case that Kanye was only famous for his relationship with Jay Z, but at this point he's long since passed him. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a credible contender for the greatest album of all time.

Regardless of whether you personally like his music, one cannot make songs like "Runaway" or "No Church In The Wild" or "Family Business" without a considerable degree of talent.

Exactly

ASNerd

05 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Michael Jackson had talent.

Kanye West has an Auto-Tune.

Nah, Travis Scott has auto-tune. Kanye has very little if any. He just has a gift.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2018, 6:31 pm

I don't know if Kanye West is bipolar. However it seems he does exhibit traits of narcisstic personality disorder such as delusions of grandeur and a constant need of attention.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2018, 11:02 am

Fnord wrote:
I can think of two very obvious reasons why KK will be more famous than KW for many years to come

And they are...
[quote= "Fnord"] I have listened to them. They remind me of the time a semi hauling pigs locked up its brakes just before it struck another semi hauling a load of scrap metal.[/quote]
And what do you listen to?

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2018, 11:17 am

Fnord wrote:
Rap is not music.

Metal, or whatever music you like, isn't music too. According to your logic

and also, you think this is not music?

vaguelyhumanoid

10 Jun 2018, 5:09 pm

Kanye discussions outside of hip-hop fan communities are always a lightning rod for uninformed opinions...

I hate some of Kanye's viewpoints and antics - I've felt pretty frustrated and almost betrayed hearing his comments about Trump and Bill Cosby, and all the sexist banter in many of his songs annoys me. But I can't say that I don't relate to the dude, or feel inspired by his work. He has synesthesia, he was put in a behavior class with dyslexic kids in high school, he dropped out of college, he catches flak for being too blunt and brash in public. His album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was the first hip-hop album I got into as someone who grew up more with classic rock and indie rock - nowadays hip-hop is one of my favorite genres.

And he can sing well without auto-tune when he chooses to - songs like "Runaway" and "Ghost Town" illustrate that. I think he uses auto-tune and vocoders to achieve a futuristic/sci-fi effect, and not just to cover up deficiencies in his singing voice. That being said, I do "miss the old Kanye" - "George Bush doesn't care about black people!" was a way better look than "slavery is a choice"... :?

ASNerd

10 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

vaguelyhumanoid wrote:
Kanye discussions outside of hip-hop fan communities are always a lightning rod for uninformed opinions...

I hate some of Kanye's viewpoints and antics - I've felt pretty frustrated and almost betrayed hearing his comments about Trump and Bill Cosby, and all the sexist banter in many of his songs annoys me. But I can't say that I don't relate to the dude, or feel inspired by his work. He has synesthesia, he was put in a behavior class with dyslexic kids in high school, he dropped out of college, he catches flak for being too blunt and brash in public. His album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was the first hip-hop album I got into as someone who grew up more with classic rock and indie rock - nowadays hip-hop is one of my favorite genres.

And he can sing well without auto-tune when he chooses to - songs like "Runaway" and "Ghost Town" illustrate that. I think he uses auto-tune and vocoders to achieve a futuristic/sci-fi effect, and not just to cover up deficiencies in his singing voice. That being said, I do "miss the old Kanye" - "George Bush doesn't care about black people!" was a way better look than "slavery is a choice"... :?

Exactly, I love his music. He's one of the greatest of his generation, but I hate the way he acts outside of his music. The "George Bush doesn't care about black people" thing is way better than "Slavery is a choice," which is repulsive and ignorant, but some say that both those comments were a result of his Bipolar.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

ASNerd wrote:
vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

Exactly, I love his music. He's one of the greatest of his generation, but I hate the way he acts outside of his music. The "George Bush doesn't care about black people" thing is way better than "Slavery is a choice," which is repulsive and ignorant, but some say that both those comments were a result of his Bipolar.

I think you mean to say "those comments were a result of his bipolar disorder" or "those comments were a result of his being bipolar." Bipolar is not a noun, and it really bothers me when people use it like one. It's so jarring. It can't be that hard to get this right, I don't understand why so many people struggle with using this particular descriptor correctly.

I mean, you wouldn't say that my pedantic response to your comment was a "result of my autistic", would you? Because that would be equally grammatically incorrect and awkward sounding as "his bipolar". It's definitely a result of me being autistic, however. :wink:

ASNerd

11 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
ASNerd wrote:
vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

I think you mean to say "those comments were a result of his bipolar disorder" or "those comments were a result of his being bipolar." Bipolar is not a noun, and it really bothers me when people use it like one. It's so jarring. It can't be that hard to get this right, I don't understand why so many people struggle with using this particular descriptor correctly.

I mean, you wouldn't say that my pedantic response to your comment was a "result of my autistic", would you? Because that would be equally grammatically incorrect and awkward sounding as "his bipolar". It's definitely a result of me being autistic, however. :wink:

I think you need to take a chill pill. I don't struggle with this concept. I know I'm using incorrect grammar because this is an internet forum and not a doctoral dissertation. Don't worry it's ok for you to end a sentence with a preposition on here lol

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 11:35 am

ASNerd wrote:
ASNerd wrote:
vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

I think you need to take a chill pill. I don't struggle with this concept. I know I'm using incorrect grammar because this is an internet forum and not a doctoral dissertation. Don't worry it's ok for you to end a sentence with a preposition on here lol

Well, lucky for you your autistic allows you to get that wrong and not care. :lol:

ASNerd

11 Jun 2018, 11:43 am

ASNerd wrote:
ASNerd wrote:
vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

Well, lucky for you your autistic allows you to get that wrong and not care. :lol:

Haha true :lol:

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 1:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
You don't say "I have sad", you say "I am sad" because "sad" is an adjective like "bipolar" is. OK, I'm done now.
But what about the statement on my boss's coffee cup? It says: "I can't brain today; I have the dumb."

That, my friend, is known as humor.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2018, 10:02 pm

vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

In my opinion, the old Kanye came back. Music wise though. But I do like his republican point of view, I'd honestly rather have him be conservative than liberal.

ASNerd

12 Jun 2018, 8:00 am

Biskit69 wrote:
vaguelyhumanoid wrote:

In my opinion, the old Kanye came back. Music wise though. But I do like his republican point of view, I'd honestly rather have him be conservative than liberal.

How did the old Kanye come back? His music has a completely different sound. My favorite album of his is graduation. It doesn't sound like that or any of the earlier albums. The album from old Kanye that ye and kids see ghosts are closest to would be my beautiful dark twisted fantasy and even that is way better than his recent work and is pretty different.