05 Jun 2018, 4:41 pm

Yes. I agree with it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 4:58 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Do you agree with this statement?
It's a nice sentiment, but it is extremely difficult to put into practice for an extended period of time without brutal enforcement of draconian laws. After all, even the late, great Soviet Union barely lasted 70 years, and the People's Republic of China is one of the most oppressive plutocratic oligarchies outside of North Korea.

But if you are trying to lead in to an essay of support for Marxist and/or Communist ideals, please keep in mind that Karl Marx incorrectly addressed the one fundamental flaw in his ideology: That is, human nature cannot be 'evolved' away in just a generation or two. It took millions of years for humans to develop civilization to begin with, and yet we are still nothing more then selfish, poo-flinging simians who know how to make tools, build fires, and wage wars on each other. It may take millions more years before our descendants evolve to be truly altruistic, even though we have a basic understanding of the concept in our present day.

I mean, c'mon ... "Rob from the rich and give to the poor" is a more accurate description, and only serves to form the basis of a fictional robbers' community in a strictly fantasy world1

(Claiming moral equivalency between immoral acts is a null defense.)

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 5:08 pm

Redxk wrote:
Yes. Strongly.

Why?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

I realise that I might come across as foolish for asking, but what exactly is meant by this phrase? Never come across it before. :scratch:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I realise that I might come across as foolish for asking, but what exactly is meant by this phrase? Never come across it before.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in his 1875 Critique of the Gotha Program. The principle refers to free access and distribution of goods, capital and services by forcing those who have the ability to earn a wage to give their earnings to people who can not -- or WILL not -- earn a wage for themselves.

Karl Marx was promoting a Welfare State in its most extreme form..

(Claiming moral equivalency between immoral acts is a null defense.)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
I realise that I might come across as foolish for asking, but what exactly is meant by this phrase? Never come across it before.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a slogan popularized by Karl Marx in his 1875 Critique of the Gotha Program. The principle refers to free access and distribution of goods, capital and services by forcing those who have the ability to earn a wage to give their earnings to people who can not -- or WILL not -- earn a wage for themselves.

Karl Marx was promoting a Welfare State in its most extreme form..

Thank you for explaining. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2018, 8:13 am

As someone who's disabled I very strongly support this

~King Of The Hill

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 9:19 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Redxk wrote:
Yes. Strongly.

Why?

Because when extricated from Marxism and any kind of compulsory redistribution garbage, the words themselves mean something very simple: You share. Whatever you can to whomever is in need. You just do, because it's the right thing to do. You can let cynicism stop you from sharing, but there is no one who is not in need of something. And it often has nothing at all to do with money.