Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lellynelly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

Hello. Being newly diagnosed at the age of 52 I am still feeling excited about it, Its so good to know why I am the way I am! But my feelings got me wondering. Did any of you get a diagnosis later in life? And if so did the diagnosis make your life better or easier? Of so in what way?

Hangfire
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

I'm working toward official diagnosis at 27. Not quite later in life by comparison to many 40+ diagnosis but still a breakthrough. Finally have an explanation for difficult childhood, social and school. The sheer validation and having a framework to approach life is the best part. Rather than working at issues the way NT people would and failing, now i'm learning how to cope according to my abilities. 8)

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2018, 2:47 pm

I was diagnosed last year, at 35. On the one hand, yes, it changed a lot of things. I was no longer a complete failure at being a person, I was just autistic.

But on the other hand, I don't quite know what to do with that. I don't know how to figure out what's me and what's the mask, or what I really feel and what I just think I ought to feel. It's cleared up a lot, but also raised more questions.

I'm really glad I got diagnosed, tho. It was the most validating thing that ever happened to me.

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2018, 4:05 am

I'm 51, but undiagnosed.

I think it would be exciting to find out. I don't connect with people, and at the moment, I feel quite lonely.

Graceling, being on my own for the first time in my life (no parents, husband or children) has really helped me sort out what's really me. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have genuine interests that reflect me. It surprises me sometimes.

And a lot of my specific anxieties have lessened now that I'm only responsible for me. Not completely gone away, but better.

mental
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2018, 2:08 am

It came as a shock. I went to see my doc. due to other issues, and was told I was gifted and on the spectrum.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 6:18 pm

I was diagnosed at 30. I wouldn’t say that it changed my life, but it helped explain why I experienced difficulties in areas that my family didn’t understand. Growing up, I’d be disciplined harshly for behaviors I couldn’t entirely control.

I feel more comfortable in my own skin with this awareness and understanding. I feel less obliged to conform.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 6:41 pm

I was 47 or 48, when I got diagnosed. Initially, I was very angry, because I wondered why no one had told me, before----and, maybe if they had, I wouldn't have had so many struggles.

I don't think I would say it was exciting to find-out, but yes, it changed my life (made it better / easier), cuz I finally had all the answers as to why I've been so friggin' weird, all-of-my-life, and I didn't feel as weird, anymore, when I found-out there was actually a name / definition for what was "wrong" with me----and then, after I came here, it helped alot to find so many more people who shared so many similar experiences, and I have learned alot about myself, and it was great learning the different ways people cope with it all.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

Yes initially felt v angry and depressed
Now coming to terms with it am being more patient n realistic with Myself .

The lady who mentioned it raised a lot more questions - can you explain? I’m wondering what sort of ?s others would have come up?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 2:02 pm

I was still a nutty 3-year-old LOL

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 2:53 pm

Got diagnosed last year. It made huge difference in my life, as my family is being a lot more considerate towards me. I have much more of a sense of direction than before.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

underwater wrote:
Got diagnosed last year. It made huge difference in my life, as my family is being a lot more considerate towards me. I have much more of a sense of direction than before.

This is awesome to read.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 11:10 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
underwater wrote:

This is awesome to read.

I forgot to mention one thing that had a very strong positive effect on me, that I got some financial support and was allowed to study while receiving said support. This obviously is a system that does not exist in most countries, but for me the diagnosis was a major life changer. I'm in a much better place just from going to uni every week and diving into an academic subject that is dear to my heart. Coupled with support from family who are happy that I am happy and that I'm doing something useful with my life, I'm in such a better place than where I was. I've also received some support from the disabilities office at the university, which has helped me a lot. It really is possible to make the lives of autistic people a lot better, by giving just a little bit of help.

AnnWFoxPoint
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2018, 9:00 pm

I'm 65. The idea that I'm somewhere on the spectrum has been hovering around me for a couple of years. I'm pretty sure but I only just found someone who will be able to do an assessment.

This thing has been enormously destructive in my life and in my children's lives. In the last six years I have surmounted incredible health and life challenges. To have come this far only to find this thing underlying it all is devastating.

Resources and information for a woman my age are limited and hard to find. I'm alone; there is no one to help me with this. And I don't know if I'll be able to break through this wall of isolation that has surrounded me all my life.

People who know me admire my creativity, my sense of adventure. But they don't invite me in close to their lives.
I would trade all this creativity and adventure in a heart beat for friends and family.

AnnWFoxPoint
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2018, 9:16 pm

studentM wrote:
I'm 51, but undiagnosed.

Graceling, being on my own for the first time in my life (no parents, husband or children) has really helped me sort out what's really me. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have genuine interests that reflect me. It surprises me sometimes.

And a lot of my specific anxieties have lessened now that I'm only responsible for me. Not completely gone away, but better.

Yes, it helps enormously to get all the other stuff out of the way before you can figure out who you are. And I too have been surprised at what I can do and where my life has gone. A lifetime of depression and severe social anxiety are gone. But I am still alone. And, at least right now, I don't see how that is going to change with this in the road.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 1:35 am

AnnWFoxPoint wrote:
I'm 65. The idea that I'm somewhere on the spectrum has been hovering around me for a couple of years. I'm pretty sure but I only just found someone who will be able to do an assessment.

This thing has been enormously destructive in my life and in my children's lives. In the last six years I have surmounted incredible health and life challenges. To have come this far only to find this thing underlying it all is devastating.

Resources and information for a woman my age are limited and hard to find. I'm alone; there is no one to help me with this. And I don't know if I'll be able to break through this wall of isolation that has surrounded me all my life.

People who know me admire my creativity, my sense of adventure. But they don't invite me in close to their lives.
I would trade all this creativity and adventure in a heart beat for friends and family.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.
You are not alone anymore. There are many baby boomer autistics and boomer autistic women here who have spent decades undiagnosed and have dealt with similar problems as you. This forum has people that are pretty knowledgeable about autism. This knowlege will prove helpful. Sometimes ranting together about common problems is helpful, there is plenty of that here too.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 5:36 am

Yes! I was officially diagnosed when I was 9 years old but that was kept from me until I discovered it myself. My parents tried to raise me like I was normal. This didn't work.

I discovered I had Aspergers at 17, it was like everything made sense. It has given me breathing space.

However, I have only told a handful of people about this. One day I hope to tell everyone.