Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

NorwichGeorge
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2018, 1:28 am

Gbgeorgia1 wrote:
NorwichGeorge wrote:
I have all those same worries but I think that by doing something big like travelling on your own that when you do succeed, as you will if you're properly prepared, that you'll see huge benefits to your confidence and your growth as a person.

I always take a small notepad with me. Inside I write the address of everything from the hotel to activities to restaurants and I make several itineraries with a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C etc. It's planning overload but it gets my anxiety down. I also give myself plenty of time. Last year my flight was delayed when I didn't have as long as I would have liked for a connecting flight and I had to run across an airport and it was horrible. I hadn't booked the flight and I would have tried to give myself much longer so I could feel more secure in the fact that I wasn't going to miss it. I take this a little to the extreme at times like I'm wondering whether giving myself 7 hours to get from my house to the airport (a 3 hour train journey) is long enough for my trip later in the year and whether I should go the night before. I'll probably go the night before as I will be more relaxed flying (although I have an overnight layover so it will be 3 days travelling...)

This October I'll be spending a week in Mexico City on my own and it'll be my first time outside of Europe solo. Then I will meet up with some people I went on holiday with last year for a week in LA. I'm looking forward to the week on my own so much more as I know I'll get to do what I want to do and know that I can duck out of anything if I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Good luck with going to Mexico, I’d love to go there :D, everybody says they enjoyed it. Id especially like to go to the day of the dead festival.

I'm unfortunately going the week before then...

I think my first trip solo was a weekend in London which was a pretty easy one as it's only two hours on a train and it's a place I know relatively well.

I don't like eating in restaurants on my own though, it's the only downside I find. I'd like to be able to find a travel buddy where we could set our own day time schedules and then meet up in the evening for food. That would be the ideal for me. Pluses of both solo travelling and being with someone.