Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AnonymousAndAnnoying
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2018, 4:15 pm

Everyone in my family knows I have autism. I don't bring up around my cousins tho cos I know they love and respect me for me but I don't like it when people bring it up because it makes me feel stupid.

Also, whenever I'm talking to kids my age (like I should be doing today, but I'm not too sure) I try my best to hide my autism from them. I say "What's up", along with "dude", "bro", and many other things, but I still think they can tell because of how I look at them, how I look to others, how I talk (I have a speech impediment plus a monotonous voice, I take forever to say another sentence after saying something, and my dialogue is kinda funny), as well as me looking down all the time and staring into space during a conversation. Those things make me very ashamed of myself.
-
One thing I do enjoy however, more or less, is the reaction I get from people when I swear. It's like they've never heard an autist curse before and they don't know how to process it. I feel glad that I could make them laugh, but I feel weird because it's as if they know I have autism or something, which is how I got my realization of how other people perceive me.
-
So now I ask you... Do you feel how I feel? Are you ashamed of your autism in real life?

mended
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 4:53 pm

At 17 I could have written that post.

I had speech therapy and read a lot of books on how to behave in social situations.

Now my psychologist tells me no one would know I have ASC.

It did take a few years. More than 10 if I'm honest. But it is possible to at least appear normal.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 5:47 pm

Well, I'm just glad you got the help you needed.
And thanks for the tip.