What do you consider to be "high-functioning?"

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Seba7290
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2018, 2:53 am

We now know that the IQ cutoff is inaccurate (even people with severe non-verbal autism can have average or above average intelligence, so when do you consider someone to be "high-functioning?"

Does it mean they can take care of all their basic needs and are able to communicate? I know functioning labels are controversial,) I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 3:13 am

Someone who can make friends, have girlfriends, not feel overwhelmed by sensory stimuli. Basically someone who has aspergers, but is closer to NT functioning.

I was diagnosed as high functioning... but I just don’t see it. I see myself as moderate since there seem to be many more socially capable than I am...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 4:10 am

Those who can manage and perform in life in general. Regardless the shortcomings and difficulties.

OR

Those who supposed to 'have' things easier to manage and perform in life in general. Regardless of the accomplishments and actions done.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 12:56 pm

High Functioning is a label given to us by people who have never experienced what we experience and who never will. It is a measure of how well we can conceal or hide out Autistic symptoms and traits. It has nothing to do with what we ACTUALLY struggle with or how severely we struggle. It is only a marker of how well we are able to hide our struggles so that we can be allowed to keep our independence as best as we can. Functioning labels are basically markers of how annoying we are to nts. The more difficult it is to care for us, the more annoying our traits and symptoms are to them, the lower the functioning label will be. If they can give us a high functioning label, they can make excuses and justifications as to why they do not have to help us or give us services or accommodations. That is all functioning labels do. That is why I hate them.

Wreck It Ralph

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 1:08 pm

I agree with Skibum

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2018, 1:19 pm

skibum wrote:
High Functioning is a label given to us by people who have never experienced what we experience and who never will. It is a measure of how well we can conceal or hide out Autistic symptoms and traits. It has nothing to do with what we ACTUALLY struggle with or how severely we struggle. It is only a marker of how well we are able to hide our struggles so that we can be allowed to keep our independence as best as we can. Functioning labels are basically markers of how annoying we are to nts. The more difficult it is to care for us, the more annoying our traits and symptoms are to them, the lower the functioning label will be. If they can give us a high functioning label, they can make excuses and justifications as to why they do not have to help us or give us services or accommodations. That is all functioning labels do. That is why I hate them.

Excellent post. Yes, high-functioning means hides it well. Personally, I am high functioning because of prozac. I got married before I was on that, so I suppose that makes me high functioning but had to go on prozac after we had our first child. The sensory overload became insupportable.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 5:17 pm

I always think of it like this
High functioning: Can function in daily life and can do most stuff with very little or no help
Moderate: Needs way more help than high functioning, but not as much as severe
Severe: Needs tons of help to function in daily life

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 6:35 pm

Well, there's got to be a line drawn somewhere, because years ago when ASD wasn't as acknowledged as it is today, some ASD people kind of lived normal lives while others went into institutions or whatever they're called. So basically a high-functioning Aspie is a person who usually "slips through the cracks".
But high-functioning doesn't have to have a set of precise symptoms, because every person on the spectrum is different. But there are people on the spectrum that are considered high-functioning.

I'm high-functioning. Yes, I suffer anxiety, I am terrible at math, I can get overwhelmed, I don't like certain loud noises, I need to be on meds to help have control over outbursts, and I am not the best at making friends. But despite all that I am still high-functioning, maybe because I can verbally communicate my feelings to people very easily, I'm able to ask if I'm unsure about money/math-related things, I can still put on a front when overwhelmed, I try to bear through loud noises, I can take my meds regularly, and I can force myself to fit in and chat to people without being too awkward, plus I enjoy social interaction so that helps. And I can wash myself, dress myself, cook (although I'm not good at it but I think I could cook if I put my mind to it), and go out and do errands on my own, and I can hold down a job and a romantic relationship and all that. So I consider all that to be high-functioning. In fact, I can do anything if I put my mind to it, but usually what stops me is overthinking and anxiety. But my ADHD makes some things difficult too, like focusing on tasks, remembering things, getting organised, getting motivated, sitting still, biding my time, learning new things, and a few more.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

But other than IQ, I would really like to know what makes low functioning people low functioning. Is it because some of them have other conditions that are comorbid to Autism but not Autism directly that impair them further? And if they do not have comrobid conditions, what is it specifically about their Autism that makes them function at a more obviously impaired level? Are they affected by stimuli much more intensely rendering them unable to cope at all? Are they just more severe in the same traits that I deal with? Would they be able to function much better if the environment were suited for them. If we can understand what makes lower functioning Autists fit the label of low functioning, we might be able to more clearly define what makes a high functioning Autist high functioning.

Wreck It Ralph

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 6:14 am

I was diagnosed as having high functioning Autism and my IQ has been estimated at approximately 150 so you could say I'm on the very high-functioning end of Autism. But...

I have several other debilitating neuroses that greatly interfere with the very high-functioning aspect of my psyche. I have OCD, GAD, ADHD, Bi-polar and PTSD so all of that creates a terrible mix inside of my mind and any advantages that I might have gained with HFA were either diminished or cancelled completely. I do have periods where I can focus greatly and perform on the high functioning level but that performance level is sporadic at best and not very dependable at all.

My real advantages are extreme memory retention and political analysis as well as computer science but as I mentioned I can't perform on demand when I want to most of the time for any of that. It's a bit like being given the keys to a Lamborghini Murcielago, but without any gas in the tank nor any way to get gas when you want to.

It can be excruciatingly frustrating.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 8:18 am

Too many standards to bar with. :roll:
But I have a clearer picture of what autism could do to me because I have no comorbidities to speak of.

This is how I could explain it as simple as possible.
In my case:
Medical Standards - High Functioning (Aspergers as a diagnosis -- as in autism with no speech delay and average or better IQ)

Support Standards - High Functioning (No OT/ABA/Therapy/Assistance required. No LD/Clinical
Comorbidity/'Interfering Sensitivities'/'Narrow Comfort Zones'/'Triggers'/etc... Few interventions needed -- even nonprofessionals with enough responsibility could've handle.)

Contextualized Standards - Moderately Functioning (Still playing catch-up at age 23. Executive Dysfunction, Language difficulty, Social inappropriateness, Emotion Regulation, Certain Sensitivities, etc...)

I'm not 'stronger'. Just less vulnerable.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 8:26 am

I believe originally the high functioning designation was given to any who were not very severely autistic and intellectually disabled.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 8:34 am

Someone who requires little support from other people, can blend in okay, and has few language issues.

Though I definitely don't like functioning labels, as they don't show the whole picture.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 1:00 pm

Being high functioning means you have normal intelligence, can speak normally, attend main stream school, don't need help with basic daily life. You dress yourself, wash, do your chores etc without problems, cook your meals, eat without having to be prompted.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 3:38 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Being high functioning means you have normal intelligence, can speak normally, attend main stream school, don't need help with basic daily life. You dress yourself, wash, do your chores etc without problems, cook your meals, eat without having to be prompted.
Only problem is that every single one of those skills can degenerate or even disappear often and for some lengths of time.

Wreck It Ralph

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm

skibum wrote:
But other than IQ, I would really like to know what makes low functioning people low functioning. Is it because some of them have other conditions that are comorbid to Autism but not Autism directly that impair them further? And if they do not have comrobid conditions, what is it specifically about their Autism that makes them function at a more obviously impaired level? Are they affected by stimuli much more intensely rendering them unable to cope at all? Are they just more severe in the same traits that I deal with? Would they be able to function much better if the environment were suited for them. If we can understand what makes lower functioning Autists fit the label of low functioning, we might be able to more clearly define what makes a high functioning Autist high functioning.

I will make an attempt to reply. The question is a very pertinent one, and suggests I am right to question the benefit of functioning labels.

I think it possible that it is the combination of the traits in the way autism presents in a person and the environment they are in.
For example, my work environment is focussed on knowledge of the technology and the task of keeping it working. Good knowledge of the conventions of business courtesy does me well in dealing with the people who sue the equipment we maintain. I am not required to "Network" in the people sense, any work related social activities are voluntary. As a result the way autism presents in me (very good memory for facts, decent ability to systemetize, difficulty and discomfort in unstructured social situations, difficulty in initiating in social and partly social contexts, difficulty in self motivation) are benefits to th job and the jpb does not have areas which hit all my weak points, and I have winged things for 30 odd years.

Lack of direct wiring from the thinking parts to the speach making parts may not be a great hinderence if one can do a lot of communication in sign or writing, or indeed other forms of AAC. On the other hand lack of that wiring but caregivers who insist on only spoken communication and refuse to countenance other means is likely to both cause huge distress and great difficulty in functioning in the world at all.

I dislike the lables because they both patholigise us.
Low Functioning : Excuse to write a person off as worthless
High Functioning : Excuse to ignore all the struggles a person may have had to be able to fucntion, ecuse to deny any reasonable adjustment and excuse for refusal of any support.