Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 12:01 pm

[I apologize for anyone I may offend with me using the word "autist". I am only using this in my title, nothing more.]
-
I'm nearly 190 pounds. I don't know exactly how much I weigh at this point because my last weight appointment was ten days ago, and I weighed 187 pounds, but it is possible I may have gained more, as I have an unbalanced diet.
Sometimes I feel a little insecure about my body, but 98% of the time, I am either proud or OK with it.
-
Is anyone else on this forum naturally overweight? Were you born big or not? Would you like to be fit? Do you think it will happen?

mended
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 12:29 pm

I have cultivated a 'special interest' in diet and fitness. It helps my self esteem to look as well as I can.

If you have the capacity to focus narrowly on one thing then fitness is a good choice.

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2018, 8:23 am

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:
[I apologize for anyone I may offend with me using the word "autist". I am only using this in my title, nothing more.]
-
I'm nearly 190 pounds. I don't know exactly how much I weigh at this point because my last weight appointment was ten days ago, and I weighed 187 pounds, but it is possible I may have gained more, as I have an unbalanced diet.
Sometimes I feel a little insecure about my body, but 98% of the time, I am either proud or OK with it.
-
Is anyone else on this forum naturally overweight? Were you born big or not? Would you like to be fit? Do you think it will happen?

Not all but at least 40% of children with autism are overweight or obese.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 9:42 pm

I weigh about 180 LBS when I should weigh in the 150-170 range.

As for staying fit, it is indeed one of my goals and when my summer class begins in a few days from now, I intend to visit my school's gym as much as I can.

Manofthehour352
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

I have always been right above underweight until about age 17. I currently weigh 150 which is about the middle of the healthy range according to the BMI.

I‘m picky about eating and often forget to eat. I spent two weeks trying to gain about a pound a week and it was super difficult.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 12:31 am

I'm the opposite, I've always been naturally slender, veering into the "underweight" range sometimes (and feeling some minor health effects from it such as low energy and shortness of breath), despite eating whatever I wanted and not making any particular effort to burn extra calories. I only just managed to approach 120 pounds, which I think is generally considered to be a healthy weight to aim for for a woman of my height, at the very end of last year, when I was put on a medication that caused me to gain some weight (in addition to giving me horribly violent, destructive, and/or bloody mental images of things happening to me/things I saw - for example, if I saw a picture of a flower, my brain would make the flower rapidly wilt and wither). I got off of that medication pretty quickly because of the latter effect, and I haven't lost the weight or become accustomed to having it, so I guess I feel like I'm overweight, or at least approaching it, when I'm actually well within a healthy weight range.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

It's not that autistics are naturally overweight, it's that the majority(especially Americans)are overweight because there is a fast food restaurant every .4 mile in your radius. It's ridiculous. You could say that because the average American is overweight, the average autistic is overweight!

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2018, 4:14 am

I wouldn't say they are naturally overweight but from what I know, some people on the Spectrum who don't have many friends and or have bad sensory issues will spend a considerable amount of time, or even all their time indoors in their room playing videogames, watching movies, TV and so on. Obviously as a result, combined with poor diet will likely lead to obesity.

But in my experience, of all the aspies i know, most of them are in pretty good shape, including myself. I was actually underweight as a child but now im in excellent shape despite the HUGE amount of junk food I eat.
But I can't stand being indoors so I have a very active life, always outdoors, walking camping and hiking plus I have a job that I work 5 and a half days a week, 8 hours a day and is very physically demanding so that also helps me to stay fit and slender. I weigh around 140 pounds

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 2:41 am

I weighed about 130 pounds @ 6'3" until I joined the army way back when, they forced me to gain weight and when I left I weighed about 150. then in about 4 weeks of AIT I gained about 40 pounds and couldn't fit into my army uniform anymore, so I cut out the carbs and ran daily around the track, and the weight dropped back down to about 165 where it stayed until I got out of the army, then it has fluctuated between that and 230# since then. i'm always falling off and crawling back on the wagon. :oops:

thatweirdo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2018, 6:48 am

I'm naturally underweight. An year ago i weighted 35 kg (77 pounds). I have been trying to gain weight, and now i'm almost 45 kg (100 pounds). And i'm only 155 cm / 5 feet tall (short). I have got a little bit fat in my belly, and i want to get rid of it. I wanted fat everywhere else (boobs) but not belly :roll:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 8:53 am

I was underweight, but was able to move into a normal weight with considerable effort in my late 30s.
I'm now middle aged, and my weight is just a little under normal weight. I do a lot of gardening for exercise.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 1:31 am

I'm over 240 pounds. Fatness runs naturally in my family.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:27 am

Some might not like hearing this, but whatever, I'm posting it anyways:

Over/under weight are both potential equal and opposite symptoms of gut dysbiosis.. and 70% of people on the spectrum have gastrointestinal problems. Long story short, the stuff in your guts makes you overeat because it, as a parasite essentially, is making you feed it what it wants, and the fatigue it causes makes you burn fewer calories, and so people get fat.

For those that are underweight, I'd imagine whatever is going on in their digestive tracts results in a faster metabolism and lower nutrient absorption. Or maybe some parasite is eating their food much like a tapeworm does. Or some combination.

6 years ago when my AS symptoms were at their worst, so was my physical health as I was 6'2" 242lbs (heaviest ever) with a 38" waist. Now I'm 6'2" ~200lbs ~33" or so waist and around 12% bodyfat and I only ever really overeat things I shouldn't if I'm quite intoxicated. I've balanced my gut & maintain it and dropped the fat and gained muscle mass via good old fashioned hard work, diet, and exercise.

I don't really believe that anyone is "naturally overweight." They may have a tendency to crave unhealthy foods and then eat them, so that craving may be natural for them.. but no one is born destined to be fat. People get fat by eating more calories than they burn, pure and simple. And people who are fat and decide they want to be fit can change. Sure, some may always carry a bit more fat, but virtually everyone can improve. Also, not everyone's "belly," is fat. Some may have relatively low fat mass but a distended (swollen) "beer belly," - but that's due to intestinal bloating caused by gases produced by gut bacteria digesting sugars and other things. That can be changed, but it's much more of a process than burning excess fat.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 8:59 am

The_Gimp wrote:
It's not that autistics are naturally overweight, it's that the majority(especially Americans)are overweight because there is a fast food restaurant every .4 mile in your radius. It's ridiculous. You could say that because the average American is overweight, the average autistic is overweight!

Agree. Portions are too large & sitting is the national pastime.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 5:36 pm

Personally, I really do not like eating. It's a chore for me. That, plus absurd levels of metabolism and other genetic factors have me at a predisposition to be thin. Naturally, I am athletic, but I do live a sedentary lifestyle.

I have two Aspie friends and met several other individuals over the years, one of them was a little chubby but that was about it. Two friends aren't overweight but aren't as thin as me either.

So, I suppose it really does depend on genetics and lifestyle, and I guess it's common for Aspies to be a bit more sedentary so there's bound to be a higher rate of being overweight than that of the rate of neurotypicals?

On a side note, you can say Aspie instead of Autist, if you'd like. :)

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:
-
-

Buy yourself some malabsorption like I have. I spent almost 60 years trying to gain weight by eating whatever I wanted, and as much as I wanted. I am still underweight at 126 lbs. In January I weighed 114 lbs. I try. :|

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)