Difference between High-functioning autism and aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Seba7290
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2018, 9:19 am

What do you think is the difference between High-functioning autism and aspergers

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 9:26 am

They are, usually, one and the same. But certainly not always.

There are some, a decent number really, of people with "classic" autism who are "high-functioning."

To generalize:

I believe people with "classic autism" do better within the "visual-spatial" realm (mostly correlated with the "performance" portions of an IQ test) than within the "verbal" realm.

i believe people with Asperger's do better in the verbal realm than in the visual/spatial ("performance") realm.

Asperger's is still an official diagnosis in the ICD-10 (sometimes used in the United States; the preeminent diagnostic format in the rest of the world). But it is not within the DSM-V (the preeminent diagnostic format in the United States).

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 6:56 pm

I favor Dr. Attwood's "historic" distinction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhSfqOiI7o

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2018, 7:04 pm

Also, I think a person of any IQ can be diagnosed with autism (high functioning or otherwise). But for someone to be diagnosed with Asperger's, they can't have an intellectual disability and need to have an IQ that's at least in the average range (above 70).

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 7:49 pm

hannahjrob wrote:
Also, I think a person of any IQ can be diagnosed with autism (high functioning or otherwise). But for someone to be diagnosed with Asperger's, they can't have an intellectual disability and need to have an IQ that's at least in the average range (above 70).

That's the difference between Aspergers and autism in general, but the OP was asking for the distinction between "high functioning autism" and Aspergers (which is already deemed a "high functioning" form of autism).