Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

amigurumi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

So tomorrow I'm going in for surgery on my foot to fix an old injury to my tendon that I can't ignore any longer. I'm a little worried about the recovery though. I can't stand restrictive clothing, and the longest I've been able to tolerate my foot being wrapped has been just under an hour. Just sends me into panic mode every time. I'm not even sure how to better convey my concern to the doctor. Any ideas?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 7:07 pm

How did the surgery go? Were there any issues with the dressing after all?

amigurumi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2018, 1:39 am

The walking boot drove me nuts and I was stuck in it for 4 months, but it was worth it in the end. The material that lined it was so distracting all the time and we couldn't find anything to substitute with. I still have some PT to go, and walking for more than half and hour really hurts, but regular getting around is no longer painful at all. The surgeon did a really great job. The surgeon was originally going to put me in a cast, but I lucked out and the anesthesiologist turned out to be one of us, so he understood the issue right away when we were talking about it in the pre-surgery prep. They gave me a low dose sedative to get through the first two weeks while the dressing were still on inside the walking boot, and for when I had to keep the boat on for an extended period, but as long as I was sitting or laying down I could take it off or deflate it until it felt loose and then pump it up again before I stood to brace ankle properly. We ran it over with the car to celebrate when I was cleared for no longer using it :D

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 1:26 am

Glad to hear it went well. I had surgery on my foot a year or so ago too. I didn't have a cast either, just bandages. It took a couple months to heal and did physiotherapy to speed it up.