Successful relationships on the spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

For anyone in a long term relationship, preferably marriage, and happy, how did you do it?

What works for a healthy and successful relationship, and how did you pursue it, with this neurological wiring?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm

What worked for me was helping my wife get through her LPN nursing program. And her encouraging me to get my driver's license.

Right now, the relationship isn't going so well----but we are still good friends.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2018, 7:36 am

Me & my current girlfriend have been living together over 5 & a half years & we would of gotten married a while ago but we're both disabled & it'll screw up her benefits. She's on the spectrum too & sent me a PM after reading lots of posts I made in L&D about what I was wanting in a partner, the way I am within a relationship, & what I have to offer a partner. I've had a horrible time getting women due to my various mental & physical disabilities & the fact that I'm too direct & straight forward. I have a hard time getting the rite meaning of what NT women say & they look for hidden meanings in what I say. I like being supportive within a relationship cuz I have more than my fair share of issues & I know what it's likt to have & not have support. Cass has some similar issues as me & wasn't exactly wanting a relationship but was open to one with the rite guy who would be really supportive of her. We'd both have a hard time living alone & Cass has lived alone before but couldn't handle it & would of moved in with family but she wasn't found of the idea & would of had problems with that. I was stuck living with my parents due to no other options & they resented me living there at my age. So our relationship worked out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2018, 7:48 am

I met my wife when I was your age (17). We just got along really well and had the same views on most everything. We also lived together for about ten years and had our first child before getting wed. 33 years and another child later and we're still together and very happy. I know it's clichéd but she really is my best friend.

Advice:
1) Marry your best friend.
2) Don't go to bed on an argument.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2018, 8:10 am

I’m going on 9 years with my wife. I told her on the 2nd date I was weird and my odd behavior patterns. That way she could opt out, or choose to accept what she was in for.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2018, 8:05 pm

Yeaaaahhh. About that. :oops:

Honestly I asked many women out and one day one of them decided to cuddle closer to me. It was a shock, but I am sure glad she did. It might help that she's on the spectrum too.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 9:04 am

Arevelion wrote:
Yeaaaahhh. About that. :oops:

Honestly I asked many women out and one day one of them decided to cuddle closer to me. It was a shock, but I am sure glad she did. It might help that she's on the spectrum too.

That makes more since to me than flirting at least, though I would be way to shy to do that.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2018, 12:52 pm

liveandrew wrote:
Advice:

:? What if I marry my third-best friend? 'Cause the other two are atheists and one is female.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2018, 1:03 pm

Aavikkorotta wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
Advice:

:? What if I marry my third-best friend? 'Cause the other two are atheists and one is female.

I guess that will have to do :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.