ASD & Highly Sensitive Person Question

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 6:36 am

nick007 wrote:
I scored a 16 on that test but I know I would of scored much higher when I was younger. Being in stressful situations & loud noises at work kind of helped me get used to things; not entirely used to it but more than I was.

I think I understand why you would get need to get tougher with relationships blazingstar. I tend to be a giver & very supportive within my friendships & romantic relationships. I have a strong sense of loyalty & devotion. I was diagnosed as codependent when I started seeing a psychiatrist cuz of a sever depression after my 1st relationship ended. I felt I gave a lot in the relationship & it got to be kind of one-sided after a while. I'm NOT blaming her cuz I kind of let it happen. Then I got upset over it & blamed her at the time which caused lots of problems. I doubt I would be diagnosed as codependent nowadays thou because I grew from the experience & I'm on anxiety & OCD meds so i'm not worrying as much in my current relationship. She has issues that I try my best to be supportive of but I have more than my fair share of issues too & she does alot for me.

Definitely when I was younger, there was also the "co-dependent" issue which was "popular" back then, but I think this is something different and probably for you too. Because it isn't that I feel I have to be needed and a door mat to be a worthwhile human being, it because I really feel the pain of the other person and could see the situation from his/her point of view.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jun 2018, 6:46 am

I was crying alot when I was going through my bad depression liveandrew. Lots of things would trigger it.

blazingstar wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I scored a 16 on that test but I know I would of scored much higher when I was younger. Being in stressful situations & loud noises at work kind of helped me get used to things; not entirely used to it but more than I was.

I think I understand why you would get need to get tougher with relationships blazingstar. I tend to be a giver & very supportive within my friendships & romantic relationships. I have a strong sense of loyalty & devotion. I was diagnosed as codependent when I started seeing a psychiatrist cuz of a sever depression after my 1st relationship ended. I felt I gave a lot in the relationship & it got to be kind of one-sided after a while. I'm NOT blaming her cuz I kind of let it happen. Then I got upset over it & blamed her at the time which caused lots of problems. I doubt I would be diagnosed as codependent nowadays thou because I grew from the experience & I'm on anxiety & OCD meds so i'm not worrying as much in my current relationship. She has issues that I try my best to be supportive of but I have more than my fair share of issues too & she does alot for me.

Definitely when I was younger, there was also the "co-dependent" issue which was "popular" back then, but I think this is something different and probably for you too. Because it isn't that I feel I have to be needed and a door mat to be a worthwhile human being, it because I really feel the pain of the other person and could see the situation from his/her point of view.
It's both for me when it comes to relationships.

~King Of The Hill

"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raymond Ore
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2018, 7:00 am

This is all very confusing, I score high on the 'Highly Sensitive Person' test. Noise affects me a lot. Never heard of Alexithymia so I looked that up and yes total inability to describe my own emotions but I can pick up others emotions easily, no idea what to do with that information though so it looks like I'm not picking it up. I score very high on facial recognition I've tested as a super recogniser. anything to do with visual processing I find easy.
Biggest issue is dealing with people in general especially when I can't see them i.e. on the phone probably a visual thing again.
My automatic coping strategy is to run away which is very unhelpful but I do it before I realise I have and at 58 it's not getting any better!

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2018, 7:02 am

SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
Hi Ferris, I'm back! :)

Hi Andrew , glad to see you back. Hows your climbing going?

I quit a while back. I had problems with a finger and then my daughter gave up to concentrate on 6th form. I do miss it, as you do with any special interest, but it was getting harder and harder to work up the effort to do it (being around people, small talk etc. etc.). I'm back to collecting films and music which is a lot more sedentary but I'm happy with it :)

Did you get your diagnosis? I notice your profile says "Other autism spectrum disorder".

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 7:08 am

liveandrew wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
Hi Ferris, I'm back! :)

Hi Andrew , glad to see you back. Hows your climbing going?

I quit a while back. I had problems with a finger and then my daughter gave up to concentrate on 6th form. I do miss it, as you do with any special interest, but it was getting harder and harder to work up the effort to do it (being around people, small talk etc. etc.). I'm back to collecting films and music which is a lot more sedentary but I'm happy with it :)

Did you get your diagnosis? I notice your profile says "Other autism spectrum disorder".

Sorry to hear about the climbing , I know what it's like to not be able to pursue a special interest due to injury ( it felt like a part of me died :lol: ). I am now a fully paid up member to the spectrum club , I was diagnosed with ASD and as there is no option for that I chose "Other autism spectrum disorder" , under a different diagnostician or in a different country it would be called Aspergers but it seemed wrong for me to tick that box ( just one of my stupid idiosyncrasies:lol: )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2018, 7:47 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I am now a fully paid up member to the spectrum club , I was diagnosed with ASD and as there is no option for that I chose "Other autism spectrum disorder" , under a different diagnostician or in a different country it would be called Aspergers but it seemed wrong for me to tick that box ( just one of my stupid idiosyncrasies:lol: )

And that allows me to sneak in two of my interests (films/music) into a single, congratulatory reference: One of us! :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 10:17 am

^thanks dude :)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2018, 3:40 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Thanks for your post Blazing , I have learnt so much about myself via other members here , my self awareness is terrible.

Nira wrote:
Aren't all (or most) people with ASD Highly sensitive?

I dunno , there definitely appears to be a big overlap from the limited knowledge I have
My knowledge are too limited. When I read about HSP, it came to me similar - like part of ASD. Maybe better question is who has ASD and isn't HSP?

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 4:47 pm

I think they're the same thing. Potato, potahto. Elaine Aaron denies any connection between HSP and autism, but maybe she should do research from our perspective, not the diagnosis criteria from psychologists or hollywood stereotypes. I would hazard a guess that HSP is a nice way to explain the inner experience whereas autism is a way for others to describe how they see us. 20% of the population, yes I agree. If you counted everyone who was born before 1980, and people who can mask really well but still feel different inside, and people who just consider themselves severely introverted because they don't know what autism is, sure, they could equal that many people. Whichever way you find to define yourself that makes sense to you is what you would call it.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2018, 11:49 pm

I think HSP doesn't include problems with communication and with with establishing relationships.