Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 11:27 am

I have no idea but for me personally I don't understand why everyone thinks that all Aspies are against the idea of finding a cure for autism.

I HATE having Asperger's! It is a bigger handicap than people realize because it is hard to function in life when you have poor social skills or are unable to learn things at the same pace as everybody else. My Mom once told me that she wouldn't change anything about me when I told her that I wish I never had Aspergers or Bipolar Disorder. I know she was trying to make me feel better but she doesn't have those conditions so it's not like she really understands what it has done to me.

Believe me if science all of a sudden invented a magic cure for every type of mental illness in the world I would gladly take it!

Enoch
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2018, 8:35 pm

Your OP already shows that you're having a hard time, not because you're weak for being affected by it, but because it sounds like your family life objectively sucks and they're not treating you with proper love, care and respect like family should.

Mentally ill people are strong because mental illness is an adversity, and we have no choice but to build resilience and strength, even if it doesn't feel that way to us.
People who have never been mentally ill do not experience the deep darkness of depression, or debilitating fear and panic attacks, or the terror of psychosis and hallucinations, or the inability to hold down a job because of mental illness, or the stigma we get from family and friends, or the depressive and manic cycling of bipolar and the consequences of those moods, or the specific interpersonal and intrapersonal difficulties associated with personality disorders. And so much more, because mental illness affects all parts of your life. To continue with life to the best of your ability while dealing with all of that is a strength.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2018, 6:07 pm

The last thing I want to think of myself as is weak. Neurotypicals don't deal with the stuff that we as people on the spectrum do, so I get where they're coming from with this. I think it does take a strong person to put up with the issues we have, and I prefer to think of things that way.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 8:24 am

DystopianShadows wrote:
The last thing I want to think of myself as is weak. Neurotypicals don't deal with the stuff that we as people on the spectrum do, so I get where they're coming from with this. I think it does take a strong person to put up with the issues we have, and I prefer to think of things that way.

I think that's just called "living". We all struggle to stay alive no matter what problems we have. Being strong or weak has nothing to do with it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 8:53 am

Because most normal people just recite what other people say. I don't expect them to figure out what is inside the head of someone who is mentally ill. Maybe you do, but, I think I have a more realistic expectation of what normal people can do.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2018, 9:05 am

Because you need to be in strong in order to battle mental illness everyday.

As for the comment about the knife, yes that was sarcasm. It's common to not understand sarcasm when you're autistic.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2018, 8:14 am

Gotta say, I feel this way too sometimes but once I start thinking about the situations I have been through it's because of my past arguments and actions against my family. Also, your family most likely cares about you, they probably just don't know how to help. That's why they send you to a therapist, people that know how to help you.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:04 pm

Mental strength means facing adversity every day without succumbing, just as courage is facing your fears. To me, mental strength does not occur in the absence of adversity, just as courage is not possible in the absence of fear -- it would just be stupidity.

Given that people who develop mental disorders are possibly affected by stress in more ways than those without, we have more to overcome.

Nasha
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2018, 4:34 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I have no idea but for me personally I don't understand why everyone thinks that all Aspies are against the idea of finding a cure for autism.

I HATE having Asperger's! It is a bigger handicap than people realize because it is hard to function in life when you have poor social skills or are unable to learn things at the same pace as everybody else. My Mom once told me that she wouldn't change anything about me when I told her that I wish I never had Aspergers or Bipolar Disorder. I know she was trying to make me feel better but she doesn't have those conditions so it's not like she really understands what it has done to me.

Believe me if science all of a sudden invented a magic cure for every type of mental illness in the world I would gladly take it!

Yeah, I would definitly take the cure if there was one. I deal with my aspergers because I have to, not because I want to. But it doesnt make me all that strong. Its just the way things are and always will be

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm

It does not make sense to lump all "mentally ill people" together

Any more than it makes sense to lump all people that are not mentally ill together

You can't measure strength

People that give out compliments ("mentally ill people are strong") act like they deserve a "thank you very much "

Actually , as a side note, an instructor said that a driver drove her car in a way, that made him choose between crashing his bike into the car or a parked car

He choose, parked car

He said that, she pulled over and offered to pay the bill and etcetera

:idea: :mrgreen: :ninja:

He said that, he forgave her. at the scene

Maybe he just has fewer pain receptors and more dopamine and serotonin, than me

Nobody chooses to be mentally ill

Maybe, some people are naturally more emotionally fragile, than others

Personality disorders, clinical depression, anxiety, autism. None of them are choices

:D :o

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 11:24 am

Everyone has a default level of strength (x). It is different from person (x(a)=99) to person (x(b)=9). Each disability, physical illness or injury, mental illness or injury, or source of stress is a "cut" (c=1) that makes a person weaker (y=x-c) and that much closer to "death" (y=0). But those that have more "cuts" (c(a)>c(b)) and manage to "survive" (y>0) had to have been stronger (x(a)>x(b)) in the beginning than those who have fewer "cuts" and are struggling more (y(b)<y(a)).

People with mental illness are considered to have more "cuts" because they probably have the same family problems, common health problems, work problems, financial problems, etc. as everyone else PLUS a mental illness., if they are surviving as well as or better than others, they must have been stronger.

For people who understand math better than metaphor:
c(a)=c(b)+1
for example: c(b)=4 , c(a)=4+1=5

y(a)>y(b)
for example: y(a)=5 , y(b)=1

y=x-c , x=y+c
therefore: x(a)=5+(4+1)=10 , x(b)=1+4=5

10>5
therefore: x(a)>x(b)

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 11:51 am

The logical fallacy is to apply these assumptions to all people with mental illness against all people without mental illness. Some people without mental illness are struggling with other issues that the person with mental illness is not struggling with. And not all people with mental illness are surviving as well as others as much as they appear to be.

Do not feel guilty for asking for understanding or help, or demanding accommodation as needed. Needing more help does not make you a bad person.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: